User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #781
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 629
RoteEddie,
When you ordered from Holan, did you tell them that you need yours to fit the MM? I see that they make the HP2E rack, but didnt see an option for the MM. Id love to see some pics of your bike once you have everything done with it.
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #782
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
When did you do your first service on the bike. Mine went bye bye after first service and valve adjustment.
First service was at @700 miles. It could have happened then too. It's just been too long ago for me to remember. Maybe replacing final drive oil with synthetic did the trick?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #783
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin
RoteEddie,
When you ordered from Holan, did you tell them that you need yours to fit the MM? I see that they make the HP2E rack, but didnt see an option for the MM. Id love to see some pics of your bike once you have everything done with it.
I don't have an order confirmation yet. I was told they make their different racks a little wider to fit the MM. Might not be ready untill after christmas, but I will report back once I get everything available.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #784
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Hpn Tank(?)

RoteEddie,
What about the HPN fuel tank...? It looks like the ADV tank without the covers...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #785
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie
After a lot of thinking I've decided to make my MM into a tourer. A fast tourer that is :-)

As my bikes are right now they sit very close together when it comes to what they excel at. Two very different riding experiences, but both bikes are made for twisty roads. The MM is a bit more comfy for long distances, the Tuono being the more intense and satisfying ride.

I have considered a few different options:
1. Markus' underseat tank + soft luggage
2. Markus' tank + hard luggage
3. Hard luggage + carry extra fuelcanister
4. replace the MM with a GSA

I ditched number 4 as I love the MM too much to part with it. It would also be expensive. I decided alternative 1 would be too impractible. Removing the luggage at every fuel stop to get to the tank would be even worse than simply living with the standard range of my MM.

I decided alternative 3 makes the best sense. Racks will be Holan especially adapted to fit the MM. Cases will be Zega Pro 31 litre. This setup will enable me to use one or both Zega's, carry up to 6 litres of extra fuel (or more) when needed.

Another advantage over soft luggage mounted on the seat is a lower centre of gravity. Cost is ca 800 Euro. That is quite a bit cheaper than Touratech's similar setup.

I went with option 3 as well. I ordered my Holan racks un-painted as I felt we would need to make some cut/shut modifications as they were un-likely to fit. They don't, you need to be prepared for a little bit of fabrication/alteration around the peg pick-up points in my experience. I got the ones suitable for the BMW GSA Panniers as I already had a set.

Same goes with the Holan HP2 crash bars. They would fit perfectly if they had factored in the oil cooler and its location compared to the HP2Enduro. Wish I had ordered those un-painted.

Same thing with the Touratech hand guards, they didn't fit either as there was an pick-up securely fixed inside the bar (suitable for GSA guards end weights though) and the Touratech bar end locaters were too small in diameter.

When I orderd my stuff from them they had a section of these bits that they said fitted the Megamoto. The Megamoto is no longer referred to on their site.

I can work around what I do have and make it fit so I'll still get the outcome I want but there is more mucking around than I expected. Surprisingly I have emailed Holan Poland twice since these parts arrived with some fitting questions but they have not bothered to return my emails which is really rather disappointing.

To be fair, Rob from Holan US saw a post in the GS section asking for installation help in regard to the engine crash bars and he did forward instructions, however they were for the HP2Enduro and did not address the MM oil cooler issue.

Megathumper screwed with this post 12-02-2009 at 01:48 AM
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #786
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
I went with option 3 as well. I ordered my Holan racks un-painted as I felt we would need to make some cut/shut modifications as they were un-likely to fit. They don't, you need to be prepared for a little bit of fabrication/alteration around the peg pick-up points in my experience. I got the ones suitable for the BMW GSA Panniers as I already had a set.

Same goes with the Holan HP2 crash bars. They would fit perfectly if they had factored in the oil cooler and its location compared to the HP2Enduro. Wish I had ordered those un-painted.

Same thing with the Touratech hand guards, they didn't fit either as there was an pick-up securely fixed inside the bar (suitable for GSA guards end weights though) and the Touratech bar end locaters were too small in diameter.

When I orderd my stuff from them they had a section of these bits that they said fitted the Megamoto. The Megamoto is no longer referred to on their site.

I can work around what I do have and make it fit so I'll still get the outcome I want but there is more mucking around than I expected. Surprisingly I have emailed Holan Poland twice since these parts arrived with some fitting questions but they have not bothered to return my emails which is really rather disappointing.

To be fair, Rob from Holan US saw a post in the GS section asking for installation help in regard to the engine crash bars and he did forward instructions, however they were for the HP2Enduro and did not address the MM oil cooler issue.
Are your racks 7 cm wider than HP2E? Could you describe or post pics of what need modifications?

I have a somewhat slow dialogue with Holan myself. The replys I get are signed Aleksandra.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #787
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie
Are your racks 7 cm wider than HP2E? Could you describe or post pics of what need modifications?

I have a somewhat slow dialogue with Holan myself. The replys I get are signed Aleksandra.
From what I remember they made them 5cm wider, but don't quote me. They are off-site elsewhere so I cannot go measure them. When I trail fitted them (6 months ago??) I thought they were too wide and as I said they didn't match up at the foot peg fastening point. I then put it out of my mind with the knowledge that when I get to alter them we will fix the width and the peg fastening and then powder coat.

To be honest I hoped but never expected them to fit exactly. Holan did not have a MM to work with or measure off, my understanding was there was bit of educated guesswork involved and that's why I had mine sent un-finished becasue I knew it was extremely likely I would need to make changes.
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #788
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
From what I remember they made them 5cm wider, but don't quote me. They are off-site elsewhere so I cannot go measure them. When I trail fitted them (6 months ago??) I thought they were too wide and as I said they didn't match up at the foot peg fastening point. I then put it out of my mind with the knowledge that when I get to alter them we will fix the width and the peg fastening and then powder coat.

To be honest I hoped but never expected them to fit exactly. Holan did not have a MM to work with or measure off, my understanding was there was bit of educated guesswork involved and that's why I had mine sent un-finished becasue I knew it was extremely likely I would need to make changes.
OK, as I've had no further response from Holan I've decided to go with the Touratech offering. They have agreed to let me return the kit if it won't fit the MM.

I hate to deal with companies who refuse to keep an efficient dialogue. It's not a good sign if I should run into problems.

I have also ordered new tires for next season. Decided to try Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT due to their superior wet grip. Looking forward to next season now. Wish I could head off for Spain during the winter months, but not easy when you have a toddler to deal with at home :-)
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #789
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
suspension results from race tech

Here is the most recent email I rec'd regarding the progress of the fork revalve and suspension set up:

I am very happy to say “We got it!!!” I just finished with the last of a battery of tests. I am very happy with the results. At 120 mph you can let go of the bars. The bike is planted and handles awesome. The suspension has no harsh spots and is plush through out the stroke, and YET still firm. The bike rifles thru corners and finishes very well.

I will perhaps pick it up tomorrow. I won't get any time on the MM for a few days though as I will be up at the track on the OTHER bike but will post a report when I get to it. I look forward to being able to actually ride it the way it should be ridden.

Mac, I think you're going to be in for a happy shocker when you get yours going again with the new fork set up.
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #790
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Racetech...

I talked with J.J. yesterday about the front fork conversion. He said about $550 for the gold kit. He also told me that the rear Olins shock is set for a 190lb rider from the factory and suggested some settings... very cool!
Racetech will be at the Intl Motorcycle Show in Long Beach this weekend.
I am thinking about the fork mod as well as the HPN tank $1800 in carbon Fiber from BMW Atlanta... Hope I get a good tax return!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #791
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
$550 sounds great. Looks like another mod for the early spring.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #792
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
He also told me that the rear Olins shock is set for a 190lb rider from the factory
Damn, I didn't need a new spring if thats right, the talk here was that it was set for a 150lb rider, and we heavies needed a stronger spring, so I ordered one for me at 190lb - and the guys at Ohlins sold it to me saying it was what I needed too!
www.HP2.info
HPSaucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #793
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
I talked with J.J. yesterday about the front fork conversion. He said about $550 for the gold kit. He also told me that the rear Olins shock is set for a 190lb rider from the factory and suggested some settings... very cool!
Interesting, as I am 190lbs suited up ready to ride. Would be interested to know the settings they have suggested.

Would also like the part numbers / details for the Gold Valves, fork springs and preload washers if someone can get them. PDQ, the UK Racetech distributors have done 2 previous bikes for me, so would be very interested in having them take a look at the MM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #794
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSaucy
Damn, I didn't need a new spring if thats right, the talk here was that it was set for a 150lb rider, and we heavies needed a stronger spring, so I ordered one for me at 190lb - and the guys at Ohlins sold it to me saying it was what I needed too!
hlins usually know their stuff!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #795
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
We should get some clarification on the rear spring weight. Ohlins also told me the part # for the spring on the MM was for a 175lb rider. That was on my list to upgrade (or lose 20lbs).