Oddometer: 24
pepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #79
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
I never checked the stock setting for the rear Ohlins before I started playing with the suspension. I would like to know where the preload was set from the factory. Can someone tell me how many threads are visible above the adjustment rings on the rear Ohlins at the factory setting. Thanks.
Mine had 11 threads visible at the top from standard.
I dropped it all the way with the preload to check the claim by BMW that the cyclic vibration was caused by excessive angulation of the driveshaft.
I found that was a quicker way to drop it than the height adjustment method because I didn't want to cut the cable ties holding the inner guard in place.
The vibration was still there.
I've now put the preload back to the factory setting and dropped the Ohlins out to make it easier to put the height adjustment on the lowest level.
Found that this dropped it by about the same amount as the preload level had, but it now gives me all the preload extra to play with should I want to.
However, with my weight on the bike the driveline is pretty well straight so there's no need to drop it further.
Haven't scraped the bike on anything but have to remember to keep my toes in in the twisties.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #80
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50
I've now put the preload back to the factory setting and dropped the Ohlins out to make it easier to put the height adjustment on the lowest level.
Found that this dropped it by about the same amount as the preload level had, but it now gives me all the preload extra to play with should I want to.
Hi Ron, and welcome. I played around with the ride height adjustment quite a bit when I first had the bike and sttled on the lowest setting like you. Never had to remove the shock or cut any cable ties though. Didn't seem awkward to do.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #81
cyclop
"Sideways!"

Oddometer: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
........ and sttled on the lowest setting like you. Never had to remove the shock or cut any cable ties though .......
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #82
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Mine had 11 threads visible at the top from standard.
I dropped it all the way with the preload to check the claim by BMW that the cyclic vibration was caused by excessive angulation of the driveshaft.
I found that was a quicker way to drop it than the height adjustment method because I didn't want to cut the cable ties holding the inner guard in place.
The vibration was still there.
However, with my weight on the bike the driveline is pretty well straight so there's no need to drop it further.
Haven't scraped the bike on anything but have to remember to keep my toes in in the twisties.
Thanks for the info. I have mine backed off about 5-6 revolutions from stock, maybe 3-4 threads showing. This has softened it up for my bad back and the sag is just about right at 1.75 inch with my 180lb body on the bike. I've also noticed a correspondingly lower ride height and I have therefore left the ride height at its stock setting which I believe is the highest it can go.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #83
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Ron, and welcome. I played around with the ride height adjustment quite a bit when I first had the bike and sttled on the lowest setting like you. Never had to remove the shock or cut any cable ties though. Didn't seem awkward to do.
Can anyone tell me where the ride height is set from the factory? Can you raise it from the factory height. Also can you explain how to adjust the ride height. I tried to do it recently and was unable to get anything to budge I had one open ended wrench and a cresent wrench but was afraid I might damage the larger nut if the cresent wrench slipped. Also, do you recall what size open ended wrenches are required.

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #84
Giraffe
Mocker

Oddometer: 214
...what size open ended wrenches are required?

15/16" and 1-1/16" fit better than metric.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #85
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where the ride height is set from the factory? Can you raise it from the factory height.
The ride height is set at the highest setting as standard from the factory. If you are lowering it, you should also lower the front by the same amount. There are mid point marks on both front and rear suspension units as well.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #86
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Quote:
The ride height is set at the highest setting as standard from the factory. If you are lowering it, you should also lower the front by the same amount. There are mid point marks on both front and rear suspension units as well.
Thanks JB, if anything I wanted to raise it a bit as I think I've lost some height by backing out the preload pretty far-three threads showing above the collar.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #87
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
I've got a .pdf file for the specs and setting of the original Ohlins shock. Is there someone here that knows how to upload and post it?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #88
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where the ride height is set from the factory? Can you raise it from the factory height. Also can you explain how to adjust the ride height. I tried to do it recently and was unable to get anything to budge I had one open ended wrench and a cresent wrench but was afraid I might damage the larger nut if the cresent wrench slipped. Also, do you recall what size open ended wrenches are required.
The metric sizes are 24 and 27.
I had the same difficulty, not having open enders in those sizes and finding the shifters that would fit too big to manouvre easily.
That's why I used the preload adjustment method initially.
Dropping the Ohlins out the bottom makes it all very easy.
Just as a rough guide I used a small tape measure to check how much clearance there was between the top of the rear tyre and the inner guard, with the bike on the sidestand, before moving anything.
The reading was 222 mm visible, so with the length of the small tape being about 50 mm that makes the clearance 272 mm.
Of course, increasing the preload won't increase this reading if the shock is already fully extended, whereas reducing preload will drop this clearance.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #89
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
At Giraffe's suggestion I've updated the original post with the names of Megamoto owners as they've found the thread / site. The current dirty dozen are -

Joe Bar
Ray R
Fixin Bones
Megaman
Dave T
Jonasf
Megathumper
Cyclop
pepot
Beetlejuice
GSMarc

Giraffe

Any more?

I'll try and keep it updated as more come out of the woodwork.
Learjockey1 has a few postings on his MM on the GSpot.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #90
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Quote:
Learjockey1 has a few postings on his MM on the GSpot.
Added.