Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
P7M13_user OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Would you put driving lights above handle bar? Why and why not?

I am thinking about adding some driving lights on my R1200GS, but it seems the easiest place is above the handle bar using AeroFlow windshield frame. I try to figure out the pro's and con's putting lights up there. I searched for a while and hardly see it's done that way. What do you think? Here is a picture of what I found. TIA.
P7M13_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
I mounted some up high like that, I pulled over and took them off before for I was done with the ride. The buffeting was killing me.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806

MeanMoe screwed with this post 06-25-2009 at 04:46 AM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
For visibility on driving lights, higher is better. But, as Mean Moe stated, in many states having them above the headlight is illegal. Whether you'll get busted is anybodies guess. On my old bike I had mine mounted above the headlight and through many states and a couple of years I never had anyone bust me.

I think the likely hood of getting busted is fairly small, particularly if you only use them like you use your high beams, that is, not when there is oncoming traffic. If a cop asks you about them you can always say that they're for off road use only. That excuse doesn't work if LEO has just seen you with them turned on while your on the road, of course.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Most of those states with laws about lighting height are mostly aimed at the lifted big tired fourwheel drive truck crowd so a bike would probably not be bothered by the LEOs.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Oddometer: 306
Thumb

Salient questions:

1. Does the light go where you want it? That mean Down the Road, with none bouncing off of bodywork and messing up your vision.

2. Are the aerodynamics OK? You should not be getting buffeted and the lights and their mountings should be stable, without excessive vibration.

In general:

As has been stated above, higher is better in regard to seeing down the road. Mounting driving lights too low will result in a "skimming" effect, where any dip in the road becomes a black hole. But this applies to CLEAR weather.

My big ugly old International 1-ton 4x4 has spotlights at the top corners of the cab, with aircraft landing light bulbs. Turning these on will put light waaaay down the highway (yes, I know aircraft landing lights seven feet above the ground don't exactly comply with DOT, but I'm out in the boonies), but the very slightest bit of fog, smoke or dust in the air will result in unbelievable back-glare.

I soon concluded that those "Baja racers" with big lights on their roofs were running in completely clear air. Encountering dust from another vehicle with that setup would leave the driver blind. There's a reason that true Fog lights should be 12 to 16 inches above the ground.

I say, try it and tell us all how it works out.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction."
-- Thomas Jefferson - (1743-1826), in a letter to John Adams
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote