ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #6556
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
But what of colours? I think I should be blue, like awesomebob. Or else grey and nondescript. Decisions, decisions.
I always regret not getting high-viz, at least for the jacket, for sure. Kick me if my next suit is not high-viz.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #6557
pineconeMN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Prop, unless you're a slave to fashion, get a white helmet. I've worn black, silver & white and I swear I have way fewer oh shit moments with inattentive drivers with a white helmet on.

And yes, blue. I vote blue
pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #6558
Klay
dreaming adventurer

ps. Both my Darien suit and my Roadcrafter suit leak in heavy rain. If it's a hot summer rain, it doesn't matter. If it's a cold rain, I add a waterproof layer because an extra layer is necessary anyway.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #6559
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeMN View Post
Prop, unless you're a slave to fashion, get a white helmet. I've worn black, silver & white and I swear I have way fewer oh shit moments with inattentive drivers with a white helmet on.

And yes, blue. I vote blue
I've found that a day-glo high-viz helmet is markedly more visible than a white helmet. However, fashion considerations lead me to choose a white helmet for my latest helmet.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #6560
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeMN View Post
I've worn black, silver & white and I swear I have way fewer oh shit moments with inattentive drivers with a white helmet on.
+1. No scientific data but I realized that I notice riders with white helmets, so it probably works for others seeing me.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6561
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,188
First, I'm sorry to read about your pavement/ditch surfing, Stuart. Glad you and bike are mostly okay.

Regarding the 'Stich gear, I think you're spot on with your thoughts about the Darien being the way to go. I think gives a better fit the life-size people than does the Roadcrafter. Mine is a XXL, and you're welcome to try it out anytime.

Quote:
Krevin, thanks for the input, I was about to PM you about the stitch gear. Did a bit of searching on the forum, and I'm thinking the Darien is the more appropriate candidate for me, but I want a closer look in the flesh, so to speak.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #6562
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Hi Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I've found that a day-glo high-viz helmet is markedly more visible than a white helmet. However, fashion considerations lead me to choose a white helmet for my latest helmet.
Maybe it is my ego but I like to be seen . I have the Fly Trekker Hi Viz and i catch people taking double takes all the time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with shopping!
LumpyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #6563
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,188
As much as I like my full hi-viz stuff for commuting, grey does the best job by far of hiding road grime, squashed bugs and spilled coffee stains which occur as you are enjoying a cup of gas station whilst fueling the tank. It also seems to be a bit more socially acceptable color in small town cafes. You still look like a power ranger, of course, but in muted gray-scale and not technicolor. A hi-viz helmet seems to take up the viz duties, and unlike cordura it still screams YELLOW! after several thousand miles.

Quote:
But what of colours? I think I should be blue, like awesomebob. Or else grey and nondescript. Decisions, decisions.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #6564
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
All my research is making me lean towards the Darien set up at this point....
That's what I'll get when I am ready for new gear. Now, what kind of BMW are you going to get?
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #6565
LSGiant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Thanks chaps. Jeff - your sentiments echo a lot of what I am reading.

FWIW

I have silver and I have black. I prefer the silver. Leave them both in the sun for 10 minutes. Black is much hotter. But if you are a slave to fashion...........
LSGiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #6566
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Oddometer: 12,086
Good input all. Still trying to decide between white and yellow for helmet, but leaning towards white. I have made similar observations regarding other riders with white helmets and visibility. I don't think I notice yellow over white any extra....but a minor point. Yellow would make it very easy for the adding of the prop avatar. I have always been into black helmets, but over the last year have taken a dislike to them - nothing to do with the visibility aspect, just one of those things. The heat thing Jeff mentions is certainly a factor.

I am thinking grey for the suit. Mainly for the road grime aspect. It is easy enough to add a high vis over vest if needs be, but I think the helmet does most of the job as suggested.

Had a perusal of much gear at Moon. Moon are awesome, they carry manly sizes of stuff in stock. Checked out Klim, Olympia and Firstgear. All good gear. I like the Firstgear suits, and it felt -oh-so-comfy- to be putting on a brand new jacket, especially compared to the beaten up, torn, battered and bug stained thing lying on the floor next to me.

Although the firstgear current range of stuff is good, with some features that I like, they seem to have reduced the substantive nature of the outer shell in order to pay for more zips and fasteners. Although I like the under helmet hood.

All the aforementioned gear is good, but I think having looked at all that, I'm going to pop up nort' tomorrow and check out the Dariens, then make my decision. Bythe way - pleased with the honesty regarding leaks. I suspected as much. I also suspect that the Stitch's leak less quickly than my Firstgear stuff. The jacket would do "OK", but the pants suck from a waterproofing standpoint. I carry an oversuit for the heavy rains.

As for helmets - really like the schuberth, but compared side by side to the Shoei, I still think the shoei has it. Think I'm going to go ahead and get a Shoei neotec.

Anyone who is brain dead enough to still be reading this drivelly post at this point, would do well to remember that as well as one's own asshattery being a potential for ditch incursion, there are still inattentive drivers to contend with. As if texting isn't bad enough, I had the severe displeasure to be following some wanker who seemed to think that an appropriate driving activity is rearranging crap on the back seat, then changing ones shirt, and in the middle of that activity applying what I assume was deodorant. All while driving through the crowded streets of Monticello.

Yeah - he veered across lanes a few times.

Anyway.

Too long, didn't read.

Sometimes, the reason is that you are stupid, and make bad decisions.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #6567
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post
Now, what kind of BMW are you going to get?
A pretty red one.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #6568
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGiant View Post
FWIW

I have silver and I have black. I prefer the silver. Leave them both in the sun for 10 minutes. Black is much hotter. But if you are a slave to fashion...........
I regret getting a black helmet this year. It is a hotter than the silver helmet was and way hotter than the white helmet was. Next helmet will be white or silver again.
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #6569
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Krevin, thanks for the input, I was about to PM you about the stitch gear. Did a bit of searching on the forum, and I'm thinking the Darien is the more appropriate candidate for me, but I want a closer look in the flesh, so to speak.
One advantage to 'stich products is that often they can be repaired after a crash. And sometimes not. There's many examples of krashed products on display there. They're all hanging on a rack for anyone to peruse.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #6570
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

White helmet purchased. Easy come, easy go and all that.

Still debating between blue and grey for jacket - only matters for the Darien anyway.

Also still looking at the current jacket and thinking "I can prolly patch that".

Don't want to though. The pants are a write off, there's no patching them. There isn't a patch big enough that will cover my arse.

propforward screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 11:50 AM