ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #7051
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,629

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #7052
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Hanging out east of stl. Apple, blackberry/pear, and pumpkin pies. New Mexico style stew. Campfire. Peoples.

Fuckin' A
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #7053
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,260
Seems like it's apple harvest season. Since when did they turn into the county fair? Kids playgrounds etc..

I think I need to see what the dealio is....Minnetonka orchards is about 7 miles nort of me sooo....

http://www.minnetonkaorchards.com/
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #7054
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post
Where are you / whatcha doin'? Is this your RR trip?
Yes, just got back. Spent thursday through today riding around picking up RRs. Much fun. Did not get all the ones I planned to after all, so will have to go back (oh-dear-what-a-bloody-shame), but had a wicked time. Fantastic scenery. The campground in Kettle Moran (now so named because of some of the other campers ) was packed. Potawatomi was very nice and sparsely populated though. Very pleasant. A good weekend, and 1500 miles of sconnie type riding fun. The colours were amazing everywhere.

New Glarus town looks really stunning right now.

20 rustic roads found - 3 were repeats to get signs that I missed first time around. I think that leaves me with 7 or so to do yet, all over in the Wakesha area.

Indiana Jones wears one.

propforward screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 06:43 PM Reason: Quick! Before Kleigh sees!
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #7055
propforward
Mime Hurler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
Thanks for the tips! For the sake of time the interstate seemed the most efficient route. Future rides will avoid "the slab". Hope Fatzos was all it promised to be! ;)
Sometimes slab is expedient. Never fun, but occassionally necessary to get to fun. Just the way it is.

Fatzos was not all that great. It wasn't terrible - better than a subway - but not by much. That said, I'm glad I went in there rather than a subway. Sometimes when trying random eateries they do not work out as hoped, but the to ratio always goes in favour of small time food places, fo sho.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #7056
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I gazed down 23, then up at the setting sun Friday evening. Finally decided the slab would be faster and (deer) safer. Decision seemed sound until I found myself on 694 in rush hour I'll choose 23 next time and just ride slower.

1500 mile weekend. Looking forward to those RR photos
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #7057
propforward
Mime Hurler

It's always a bit of a crapshoot with deer. I've seen so many of the overgrown rats on I-35 that I'm just not sure it's much better. I did see a LOT of roadkill deer this weekend. Only saw one live one - down in a river having a drink. But the sheer number of roadkill about was eye opening.

I'll prolly add the piccies to the album tomorrow.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #7058
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
20 rustic roads found - 3 were repeats to get signs that I missed first time around. I think that leaves me with 7 or so to do yet, all over in the Wakesha area.
Waukesha county has a couple really nice public county campgrounds. One of them segregated tents from trailers/motorhomes. Give me a bit and I will come up with the names.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #7059
LazyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Speaking of which, if one were to read online that a motorcycle, say a Rebel, has a certain size gas tank, say 3 gallons roughly, and one notices that a Rebel seems to get 50-60 miles per gallon, one might assume that a Rebel could go about 150 miles before needing to be filled. Alas, this is not so, my friends. Somewhere after 120 miles (the latest point at which a gas station stop would occur previously), a Rebel will need to be switched to reserve.
Swann, I think it was because we had the throttle pinned most of the way. I did a great fall colors run up and down the St. Croix yesterday. I filled up at 100 miles and it only took 1 gallon. I was doing 30 to 60mph. I think the bike burns more gas when you are pushing it to the limits.

BTW, beautiful ride. Perfect weather and the trees are at their peak.
LazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #7060
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Mukwonago. Camped there many, many times as a kid.

There was another that we went to frequently between Campbellsport and Kewaskum. I thought it was a county campground, but it looks like they are all either state or private now. I think there are surprising amounts of camping options in that area, for how close it is to Milwaukee.

If you got the Rustic Rd near Bong recreation area, there is camping there too. Plus the road is about 2 miles from my sister's place.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #7061
propforward
Mime Hurler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Waukesha county has a couple really nice public county campgrounds. One of them segregated tents from trailers/motorhomes. Give me a bit and I will come up with the names.
The asshats were all in tents, as it happens. Camping is another crapshoot. For the most part it was OK, the campground was just full on friday night is all. One bunch of twats partying until 1.00am - but ipods really help with that kind of crap. Thursday night the whole site was empty. It was still a good time. Info on additional campgrounds gratefully received, I have to head back there.

EDIT: ah yes. Indeed, there is some great countryside around there. Not sure which RR you are talking about, I'll have to look up Bong. It does not sound familiar. I was camped in the Otter Lake camp ground, which is actually quite good.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #7062
barnyard
Verbal tactician

It is Old Settlement Rd in Racine Cty and 312 Av in Kenosha Cty. I think. My sister lives off of county rd 142 in Kenosha cty, a bit east of Bong.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #7063
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,954
Paige klaim!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyRider View Post
I did a great fall colors run up and down the St. Croix yesterday. I filled up at 100 miles and it only took 1 gallon. I was doing 30 to 60mph. I think the bike burns more gas when you are pushing it to the limits.

Outstanding!!!
Sounds like you and the Rebel are really in settling together. Glad that you're putting miles on it.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #7064
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyRider View Post
Swann, I think it was because we had the throttle pinned most of the way. I did a great fall colors run up and down the St. Croix yesterday. I filled up at 100 miles and it only took 1 gallon. I was doing 30 to 60mph. I think the bike burns more gas when you are pushing it to the limits.

My brothers were in a canoe on the St. Croix yesterday. Did you see them?

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #7065
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Monday is my hooky day and I'm heading south towards Maiden Rock to enjoy the warm temps and fall colors. Probably lunch in Wabasha then ride 60 toward Zumbrota. Did a bunch of maintenance today on the bike including removing the drywall dust from home renovation. Ugg!!

Looking forward to the saddle time and ride safe everyone...

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote