Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #121
zOU
Crazy Frog

Oddometer: 14
I did not personally but some did:

http://www.off-the-road.de/index.php?id=799&L=1

Quote:
Oil Temperature Gauge XT-660 Z Tenere

A good oil temperature is one of the vital factors for the endurance of a single cylinder engine like the XT660Z. Just in the warm up phase the enginge should not be pushed too hard. To be able to keep an eye on the oil temperature we have taken this fancy oil temp gauge into our programme. Oil temp. gauge as alternative to the original dipstick. Made from stainless material (high-grade steel/aluminium) Made in Germany!
Although I find the 49.50 euros price tag a bit "over the top"
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #122
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,422
Ok, this is your opportunity to make a statement at Yamaha!

Its very simple! Lets make a statement about the Teneré!!!

Already 11 postings!!! Just click on the link below!

Yamaha's Facebook

Go to other forums and spread the word!!! Come on!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #123
PNGExile
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Talking Byrd Fuel Kits - Ancient History, Myth or REALITY?

Guys, I have seem some fantastic graphic action showing Byrd kits, the full 4-5 piece units on xtz 660s! In spite of some sluething on my part I've not seen a trace of these kits. I know theyre out of production, but I'm hoping someone out there has heard about a kit still lying in a hallway or garage that hasn't made it on to a bike yet!

I bought my 1999 Tenere the day before Xmas last year. it has already had significant upgrades including;
  • Race Tech suspension
  • Remus Titanium Exhaust
  • H&B crash bars
  • Upgraded air filter
  • Barkbuster
  • Handwarmers
  • lighter indicators
The bike has done less than 40,000kms and seems to have been well looked after save for a ding in the tank at the LHS. I don't think its ever even had knobblies on. A waste.
The ride itself is preetty impressive,what with most of it so far being on road, and that's coming from a KTM450EXC fan, which I used in the desert in the UAE (3 years). The Tenere by comparison feels higher, but stable. It seems much ,more powerful than I had been lead to believe from previous research, so much so that I am tempted to tempt myself across the Simpson to confirm this. But not without increased range. I need to get it closer to 1000km range, hence the request for any info about the BYRD fuel kit. Even if i can find a 40 litre tank I can make the rest work.

Very impressed with LC8TY's work on his Ten(well done mate, that looks the goods!). Yamaha really managed to camouflage the beautiful shape of the bike with their later colour schemes.They weren't bad schemes, its just that Simple blocks of red white and blue work much better with the design, and with the history and pedigree of the bike.

Let me know if you hear anything- I am going to upload some photos as soon as I work out this website.
PNGExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #124
orange man
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilb
Our they ktm handguards you have, if so do they fit well,dont want to pay over £100 for tourtek guards, Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #125
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
So it seems the Super Tenere is coming to Canada-anyone know of the baby is too?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #126
PNGExile
n00b

Byrd Fuel Kits - Ancient History, Myth or REALITY? The continuing SAGA!!!!

So it goes on. I am challenged by lack of replies!!! I refuse to believe this thread is dead! I refuse to accept there is no fuel tank God to satiate my need! I will prevail. You Know what they say. If at first you don't succeed, try, and then try again. After that give up and go home, there's no point being a damn fool about it!

I want to upload before images of my Australian bike but need some help from the old hands on this site. The bike is going to represent that part of my personality given to doing slightly crazy or ambitious things. I have a long term plan to ride Cairo to Kaap. This bike is to stay in Australia so I can fiddle about. I am going to get another to ride in Africa which I will keep there. In the meantime though, I will transform this one over the next year into something that will guide me through Central Aust, Western Desert, Simpson etc.

Please let me know if anyone knows of a 40+litre tank for the 1999 Tenere.

Regards,

PNG Exile
Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #127
Gilb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange man
Our they ktm handguards you have, if so do they fit well,dont want to pay over £100 for tourtek guards, Thanks in advance.
Yes they are KTM guards, they fit well you just need to trim a fingernail sized bit of plastic away on the righthand guard to get around the brake reservoir and banjo fitting.
Gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #128
begazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Pissed xt660 tenere 3yf h b crash bars part number??

hi guys, please help. just got my crash bars but they dont fit around the front lower fairng. mine is a 98 3yf last one! seems they need a loger return to get around the newer fairing style.

do you guys know what the part number is or did you mod the ones for the old fairing type? ive drawn a total blank with uk suppliers...

please help before i have a tenere bonfire.......80 hrs working on it and 2hrs riding is the wrong way round never mind the long way round!!

its the same as the 4th bike down in this link!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=50709&page=2

dom
begazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #129
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Nice looking 1991 XTZ660Tenere from Argentina. It looks more like a WR660f
Nice work.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #130
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander
I love my Ténéré. With the BYRD kit I would even have sex with it

Fabrizio Meoni in Capetown:

What year is the bike?! Looks awsome!
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #131
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
What year is the bike?! Looks awsome!
1991-1992
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #132
PNGExile
n00b

HB Bars on Tenere

Quote:
Originally Posted by begazzz
hi guys, please help. just got my crash bars but they dont fit around the front lower fairng. mine is a 98 3yf last one! seems they need a loger return to get around the newer fairing style.

do you guys know what the part number is or did you mod the ones for the old fairing type? ive drawn a total blank with uk suppliers...

please help before i have a tenere bonfire.......80 hrs working on it and 2hrs riding is the wrong way round never mind the long way round!!

its the same as the 4th bike down in this link!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=50709&page=2

dom
My HB Bars were already fitted to the bike, though I found last weekend that one side was not actually bolted. In the process I found that they had an adjustable fitting(sliding slot). The bar on the right side had previously been resting ON the fairing. I'm not sure if yours are the same. I also noticed that the central flat cross bracing has been bent slightly to allow these side bars to fit comfortably. Give that a try, I've always found 'tweaking' works better than application of the aggressive solution(Manchester screwdriver, Glaswegion hammer?)

Hope that helps tho' I know its not much. Also, are you sure you have the right bars. My Tenere is a '99, supposedly same as the '98, which is not a 3yf but a 4ux. I'm still learnin g about the differences myself.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #133
begazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
cheers bud,

i cant be bothered to chase any more. just modded the one i have as still cant get to the bottom of it.

had to get the thing finished as the trip to spain is looming and need to get time on the bike to tweak stuff.

how fast is your bike top end guys. mine feels a bits wobbly if i get near 70mph and although it was a bit windy i was all over the show with blurry eyes???? 110mph my arse :) running 45 on the back and 15 on the front. heidenau k60 tyres

regards,

begazzz
begazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #134
PNGExile
n00b

!

Haven't managed to get it out on the open road yet, but will in the next few weeks as I am heading down to Canberra then looping up to Canowindra and Forbes then back to Sydney. Bike works well at 80-100km/h in city, only briefly got it up to 120km/h and it seemed to strain a bit and I found myself searching for the 6th gear!
I didn't buy this bike for speed, though, it's intended for overlanding and sand work, hence my efforts to lighten it up by replacing the heavier stock items, some of which are massively oversized and weigh a ton.
The bike pulls well in the lower range, great torque, great balance when standing.
My reccomendation is (fwiw)If you want to go faster, get a second bike!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #135
Geoff D
Tenerista

Oddometer: 707
Just thought I'd say hi to some fellow Tenere lovers... fantastic looking bike LC8TY.
Picking up a new 660 Tenere in the next week or two, last one I bought was in 1989 which I part ex'd for a ZX10 a couple of years later... boy do I wish I kept it....been looking for a good 88/99 for ages now.
Anyway will post some pics when I get it
Geoff D is offline   Reply With Quote