User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
CafeMaster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
European trip with Quechua tent

I am leaving for my 5000 miles European trip next month and I will be taking a Quechua tent with me. I have already done some testing with regards to loading this thing on the bike and I must say it did not cause me any trouble.
First option was to put it flat on the pillion seat (the disc measures 73 cm in diameter) with additional bag placed on top but that option ruled out taking my top box which I am going to need on the trip.
The other option ( the one I am eventually going for) is to attach the disc at an angle partially to the top box and partially to the Ortlieb waterproof holdall placed on the pillion seat. I have tested it attached to the bike that way at motorway speeds with very good results even in strong winds.
I am using Rok Straps to attach the luggage and the tent and they are really brilliant for the job.
My ride is a GSA with the full set of metal panniers.
I am going to post a few pictures of the loaded bike just before I go and of course lots of pictures from where I will be coming through and camping.

CafeMaster screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 11:52 AM
CafeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,594
I use these tents all the time albeit in a 4x4....the one man tents are small enough to fold into a smaller disc size....maybe take two...one for sleeping and one to keep kit dry. They're light and literally just pop out once thrown into the air. If you can pack them in-between other stuff to keep them from flapping about that'd be the way to go.

Having said that I take my 3 man normal type tent usually as it packs smaller easier and takes only 5 or 6 minutes to erect....no big deal when on holiday...what's the rush?

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/tent?brand=QUECHUA
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,385
Quechua tents: their one man tent folds down to 21.7 inches diameter. That size would be very easy to carry on my 1150GS flat on the pillion. They do have guy straps so I don't see much chance of it going down in a normal storm. If the storm is going to be any more severe than normal you will find me in a motel or storm shelter. In a severe storm I don't think any tent will fair well. The low cost of the tent makes me think it is cheaply made, but who knows.

What I do know is that I tend to use the excuse not to camp, versus a motel, that I am too tired to set up a camp. This would eliminate that excuse. You can buy these on Ebay.

"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.

Merlin III screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 03:46 AM
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,385
Photos of a Transalp with a Quechua tent on board

Scroll down to the bottom of the pictures. Looks good to me, but I don't know what diameter tent he got.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/potski-photos/?saved=1
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
MrPepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My Quechua 2seconds

It has done it's work so far, my brother used to work for Decathlon and the quality control for their products is really good.