Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
sceep OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Should I ditch the Honda st1100 for a ktm950 adventure?

Anyone with experience with both?

I may have the opportunity to pick up a '04 950 adventure. It is currently an extra bike my dad has. Price would be $4k to me. 46k miles, he is 2nd owner. well taken cares of, panniers, crash bars, LED lights, upgraded seat, SPS suspension, lowered (first owner was a woman). Trade in value on KBB is $3900. haven't seen any locally for private party sale lately.

I have my '95 st1100 35k miles, unknown history prior to me owning it. new front tire, new brakes, new all balls stem bearings, led lighting, Corbin seat, all factory Honda luggage. Trade in value on KBB is $2000, local sales indicate I could get roughly $2500 private party.

I commute currently on the ST roughly 3 days a week, feb thru dec. 32 miles of interstate, 2 miles of dirt road, 4 miles of surface streets. I ride 2 up with the wife once a month or so, with one of the kids 3x/month.

The ST is cramped and puts my hands to sleep due to to much weight being on them with the forward leaning peg/seat angle. I have 3 fused vertebrae in my lower back and would prefer a more upright seating position. I could put bar risers on but that would require lengthening all the cables/lines as well as ditching some of the factory plastic. I have ridden the 950 roughly 300 miles and it is very comfy although the lc8 motor vibrations are slightly annoying. Both seem to block the wind adequately.

The ability to get out and explore some dirt roads in the area on the 950 is very appealing, but in reality would probably only be done 4-5x a year. I don't need to do any hard trails, that's what the husqy or montessa are for.

ST parts have proven to be difficult to come by and expensive but rarely needed. the bike has been super reliable thus far.

How are the 950's on parts availability and cost? Will it handle DD duty 80-100mph for 60 miles every day? Will the maintenance kill me with this riding regimen?

any other input when comparing the two?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
You may want to post in the Orange Crush section.

I would however suggest to get what fills the most squares for your life. A dual sport still to this day amazes me on its virsatility
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Sceep,

You might want to consider this option:

https://www.helibars.com/product/hon...ble-handlebars
Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,412
The answer you are seeking is,

Yes
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
The answer you are seeking is,

Yes
+1...... if you don't mind the maintenance
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Depends on what you want to do with the 950.

I just stumbledacross this thread and saw your posting . The ST is a pretty comfortable bike for travelling .
I have ridden a friends and loved it . I won a 2005,5 KTM 950 ADVENTURE since new . I would not sell it for any other bike . My wife and I travelled from South Carolina to Pensacola , Florida with all our scuba gear and luggage . Except dive tanks , and luggage for a week . I am 295 lbs , and my wife is 150 lbs . Both our combined weight with luggage was 590lbs .

That is witha stock seat as well . I have done two trips to MOAB in UTAH and Grand Canyon . Rode the bike up Mosquito pass in Leadville Colorado twice on pretty bad rocky roads .

Did major off -road in Canyonlands , in Moab . As well as Poison Spider trail in Moab . Which is a ROCK CRAWLER TRAIL .

I have 30 000 trouble free miles , and the bike always puts a smile on my face . Whenever I am in town , people always compliments me on teh cool bike . Even HELLS ANGELS told me at a Toys for Tots , that I have a cool bike .

She has a lot of stickers on her and is a good conversation starter . Parts are freely available and are decently priced . The only thing I can recommend is the waterpump upgrade from CJ DESIGNS and fuel pump upgrade . That's it . Those bikes are flawless , and rides pretty good in the twisties as well .

Like I have said . The 950 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
I had an ST11 before and agree that the bars need to be somewhat higher. I would go for the KTM but you will miss the legendary reliability of the ST and the huge tank range.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
.... but you will miss the legendary reliability of the ST and the huge tank range.
...now we're down to the bolts and nuts of the reply, hooray.
Make the Honda comfortable and ride, ride, ride.
(not that I ever had an ST, but they seem to go forever...ALL of 'em!!)

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
I would go for the KTM but you will miss the legendary reliability of the ST and the huge tank range.

Don't take for granted that Honda reliability, that is the elephant in the room...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
sceep OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin-junkie View Post
The 950 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on .
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtreemLEE View Post
Don't take for granted that Honda reliability, that is the elephant in the room...
And this is where my indecisiveness comes in :(

I have the shop, tools, and ability to perform any and all maintenance on either bike at home so that is not the issue.

But I have grown lazy in the last few years and really just don't want to work on anything anymore.

Maybe just spending a few bucks on the st to get it more comfortable is the best option.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
And this is where my indecisiveness comes in :(

I have the shop, tools, and ability to perform any and all maintenance on either bike at home so that is not the issue.

But I have grown lazy in the last few years and really just don't want to work on anything anymore.

Maybe just spending a few bucks on the st to get it more comfortable is the best option.
ST forum is a great place to be

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forum.php
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Marotte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I owned both, and commuted and travelled extensively with them.

The ST is great for driving hundreds of freeway miles in comfort.
For commuting and any other type of road, the KTM is a blast. And it's not bad on the freeway either.

Said otherwise, I miss the KTM a lot, the ST.... not so much. Do the switch!
Marotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte View Post
I owned both, and commuted and travelled extensively with them.

The ST is great for driving hundreds of freeway miles in comfort.

For commuting and any other type of road, the KTM is a blast. And it's not bad on the freeway either.

Said otherwise, I miss the KTM a lot, the ST.... not so much. Do the switch!

I'm the same, I had 2 ktm950's then switched to a 1994 st1100.... Loved the st....but I'm back on a 2010 ktm adventure.... I'd say own both... But a do it all bike... The ktm wins.... Get a better seat and the ktm is a great touring bike too.... Make the switch...
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
lddave
been there

Oddometer: 479
I have over 200,000 miles on two different ST1100's and 46,000 miles on a 2005 KTM 950. To me the ST after bar risers and a Russell seat it is the most comfortable bike I have owned. The ST is reliable , almost maintenance free, good mpg, and cheap to own. The 950 has higher maintenance , vibrates , not as comfortable to ride . Do like I have done keep both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #15
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 469
I currently own an st1100 and owned a 2003 950s adventure. The ktm was a good bike to ride but a crap bike to own. The st is a good bike to ride as well as to own. The st is a comfortable, reliable and economical. It has a good fuel range with its 28 litre tank. Mine is a 2002 model so has a hefty alternator output as well. It is however a road tourer.

The ktm was very versatile. I liked the riding position. In standard trim for my 184cm , the screen horribly buffeted my helmet. This was really simple to solve: I just made a removable screen extension. The ktm had good suspension for off road. Although heavy, it was good in technical terrain. On fast dirt it was fun. It was a bit of a pig in soft sand. As a concept I loved it. My (admittedly very early example), experience multiple costly problems. I eventually got sick of the repeated problems and got rid of it. I replaced it with a dr650 that I loved.i spent money on suspension, a safari tank etc and was pretty pleased. The dr was an easier to ride in tough (read soft and sandy) going than the ktm. The fuel economy on the ktm was also crap. Particularly in slow going (say 40 to 60 km/h through sand or soft deep gravel. At best I would get 14 to 16 km/l. In slow going 10km/l. Here in western Australia, where it is easy to do a trip that is 500 km between fuel stops, that just sucks.

I bought the st to own in conjunction with my dr. Due to a change in circumstances I now have the st only. I am not in a position where I can justify owning two bikes. So at present I am considering another dual sport. A ktm is not on the list. The f800gs and tiger 800xc both are.

Although I can accept I got unlucky with a bit of a lemon with my ktm, I still found the service costs and the owner unfriendly nature of the basic servicing along with the crap fuel range to be things I cant overlook.

Mind youthe ktm in question is a known quantity and cheap to buy, so really what have you got to lose. It will be fun to ride. But I would only consider it if you are going to hve a significant dirt focus. If the bituman is mainly where you will be the st1100 in my view is hard to beat.
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote