Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
rwbowmanjr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2014 Super Tenere or 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure?

I have the option to buy either of these bikes, each is the standard or base model.

The Super Ten is new, has the Yamaha bags and the 2 year extended warranty. The KTM has 810 miles on it, includes the touring bags, heated grips and OEM crash bars. It's had its first service, and looks like it came right from the factory. (A deep-pockets rider bought it and took it back for something else. ) As the KTM is used, the bikes are priced about the same. I have sat on but not ridden either bike—just haven't had the opportunity.

A little background: I'm coming from an air-cooled Ducati Multistrada, which I've really enjoyed and plan to keep. I'm looking for a bike that's more comfortable for longer trips and has some of the more modern features, such as ABS and traction control, and also some dirt capability. Most of my riding will be on paved roads, with some dirt but nothing too dramatic.

Pros of the Super Ten: better reliability, ready availability of service should it be needed on a trip; maybe better for mostly paved roads; has extended warranty Cons: heavy; will have to add heated grips and crash bars; maybe a bit more sedate coming from the Multistrada.

Pros and Cons of the KTM pretty much mirror those of the Super Ten. However the KTM has the several suspension and power options not available on the base SuperTen. In my opinion too, he KTM has a more readable display.

A more qualitative consideration: my heart says the KTM, but my brain says the Super Tenere.

If anyone has other factors I should consider, I'd be grateful to hear from you. Also, if anyone has experience with both bikes, that would be great, too.

Thank you.

Rob
rwbowmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbowmanjr View Post
A more qualitative consideration: my heart says the KTM, but my brain says the Super Tenere.
That about sums it up. I own a Super Tenere, and I lust for the KTM. If only it wasn't $30k+ to own both...

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,066
For your pros of the STen, I wouldn't consider the KTM.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,722
Listen to your heart.

An awesome bike.

http://youtu.be/LXi-UjW7kuI
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,327
Gotta agree with AC.

It also depends what you are going to use it for. The Yam is legendary for reliability and the KTM is becoming the byword for fun.

I too would like a KTM but I would not plan any out of the way long distance trips with it.

Ask Pluric for his opinion. He had a lot of fun on his friends KTM and was being slowly drawn to the darker orange side, sadly, now the engine has gone back to the importer for a top end rebuild. The bike is all but new !!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,722
http://youtu.be/DK57wPwGcKE
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Flyfisher590
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The KTM is great so it shouldn't be that hard. Besides.....the worst money you'll ever spend is money you regret spending as soon as you bought something. Go with your heart and you'll never regret the purchase.

Buy it right, but it once.
Flyfisher590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,454
If I lived out west . . . It would be a KTM for sure. Around here . . . over-kill

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Hellfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I never thought that cruise control was something that I would want on a bike. Now it's one of my favorite things about the 2014ST. Besides, it's fun to wave back at other riders with your right hand (or both hands).
Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
If your going to keep the duc, get the KTM. The Duc can be your street/canyon/long haul bike and the KTM can be your dirty girl.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
murdock2002
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Three main factors would drive me toward the ST...dealer network, reliability, and overall costs. The maintenance intervals are also extremely wide apart, too.
murdock2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
North1SuperT
OK, I'm a n00b!

Oddometer: 3
Bought a ST two years ago. Just did a 9000 km 3 week trip on it this summer. Flawless. All pavement. Depends on what you plan to ride and what your power needs are. The ST has plenty of power for me most times just in touring mode. It I want a thrill, I switch to sport. I would scare myself with 150 hp! Besides, I love the lack of maintenance with shaft drive. Before the ST, I had the f650gs twin. It was a devine engine but had niggly issues and was in the shop (5 hours away) more than all my bikes of the last 10 years put together. Yahama dealer network meets my needs much better. Get the info and make a decision, then love the ride.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
I the KTM you'll be oiling and adjusting a chain.... Yea, I know it's no big deal but when you don't have to do it it's really really nice.
Oil changes are a bit of a nuisance on the KTM, ya gotta pull a couple of screens as well as the filter and drain plug, no big deal but a pain non the less.
The 1190 has an air box issue, it doesn't seal properly, many motors have been rebuilt by the dealers while under warranty.

KTM say "ready to race" if that's what ya want go for it, expect issues, and plan you adventures with a lot of contingency built in.

The stock suspension on the Tenere is very good, not to worry.

With the Tenere you won't get the panache or performance of a KTM but you will get a reliable, competent motorcycle that will take you anywhere the KTM can take you.

Paul
Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,388
I put 25K miles on a Super Tenere. I sold it last year for an 1190R.

The KTM is the better motorcycle. I'm not brand loyal, I buy what I like.

I put 15K miles on the KTM since February. Its been more reliable than my Tenere was.

Its started every time I hit the switch. The Yamaha didn't (blue bloods will tell you I must have done something wrong)

Only issue I've had on the KTM was a broken air-temp sensor wire, and that may have been caused by me when I installed my heated grips.

The Tenere had a leaking clutch master, blown fork seals (not totally the bikes fault) and failed to start several times. Thankfully I was home, once it drained the battery cranking it. Granted its a great bike and I enjoyed it while I owned it.

Buy the bike you want. Don't let people scare you away from your decision.

If you do buy the 1190, buy a Unifilter and ride into the sunset.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Heard!

There is a recall on 1190 air boxes(melting and letting in dirt ,cooking the rear cylinder.) KTM definitely a wilder bike but KTM does their R&D on their customers. Yamaha S10 is the most reliable bike out there in the Adventure class. The 2014 S10 is the way to go. Many, many improvements. Like them so much I'm on my 2nd one. Also had KTM 950/Triumph 955/ BMW GS1200. Like my Yamahas best of all. Don't get caught up in all the magazine articles bashing the S10. Its a fantastic motorcycle.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote