Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #15691
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie92j View Post
Hi Dan

This is my forth transalp, iv had two 600s and two 650s!

The front end is a exc250 48mm, I used the rugged roads stem to keep it simple

I'm still unsure of what spring rate to get, my mate has .56nm on his rd03 but think I might go slightly softer, this bike is mainly for off road so I want it quite stiff, any suggestions on spring rate are welcome!

Next thing I will need is a rear shock to keep up with the front end! Any suggestions are also welcome for this!

The front wheel is still the ktm skinny one, but I have a matching black excel rim which is proper transalp width so I will get that on at some point!

I want to keep as much weight off the bike as possible, I think I should save at least 20kg off the original weight!

G'day Jamie,

4th TransAlp, where have you been all this time
I have XR600 front forks. Based on the RaceTech calculator, using the XR600 (but adding the TransAlps extra weight to the 'rider weight') it recommended 0.54 to 0.56 kg/mm
The heaviest Teknik springs (made by Eibach) I could get were 0.54kg / mm. Running about 20 - 25mm preload, the bike has about 70-80mm static sag on the front.
So my suggestion is working around 0.52 - 0.56kg.

Rear shock, well, you've a few options depending on the budget:

1. Put a spacer on the rear shock. Purely lifting the rear. Very marginal increase in effective suspension travel;
2. Try and find a longer Showa unit that fits from an old XR or CR;
3. Save up and get a shock made to suit.

My suggestion is do #1 while you save for #3. You're going to have top suspension on the front, it would make sense to have an equally capable shock on the rear.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #15692
jamie92j
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
G'day Jamie,

4th TransAlp, where have you been all this time
I have XR600 front forks. Based on the RaceTech calculator, using the XR600 (but adding the TransAlps extra weight to the 'rider weight') it recommended 0.54 to 0.56 kg/mm
The heaviest Teknik springs (made by Eibach) I could get were 0.54kg / mm. Running about 20 - 25mm preload, the bike has about 70-80mm static sag on the front.
So my suggestion is working around 0.52 - 0.56kg.

Rear shock, well, you've a few options depending on the budget:

1. Put a spacer on the rear shock. Purely lifting the rear. Very marginal increase in effective suspension travel;
2. Try and find a longer Showa unit that fits from an old XR or CR;
3. Save up and get a shock made to suit.

My suggestion is do #1 while you save for #3. You're going to have top suspension on the front, it would make sense to have an equally capable shock on the rear.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dan.
Il get some pics of my old transalps up when I get home

I want a good shock on the rear to match the front, might as well go the full hog now

Think I'm going to order some 0.56kg springs as this bike will be ridden hard off road!

Iv already got a vara1000 for the road

I need to get some steering stops sorted, I have a cunning plan for this!
jamie92j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #15693
TransAfrika
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hi a custom shock has the possibility to increase the shock travel and that make sense. I will buy one from wilbers for my bike to fit with the Rd04 fork. They told me to enlarge the travel and set the spring to the bike weight.

Did any body fit a KTM fork with two discs to a TA? Or that one from the Yamaha XT 660Z, perhaps that could be interesting for you too.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #15694
ON8JU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hi guy’s, i’m looking for a 2nd set of wheels for my 2010 XL700VA. Changing tires between off-roading and long onroad trips is a real pain.
I’ve been looking on secondhand sites for several months, but no success yet.
Can I buy a complete aftermarket set that fits my bike out of the box? Any experiences?
How much should an OEM wheel set cost?
Thanks for sharing!
ON8JU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #15695
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
happyclam -

Sure thing, I finally have a camera again!

Chain slack was part of my problem, by increasing the angle of the swingarm it gives you more slack so it looks like you should tighten it up, but as it compresses it will then be too tight. The chain roller helps take up the slack in the uncompressed state so the chain is not too sloppy.

I have it apart at the moment, I actually ended up using a skateboard wheel after the chain roller I bought snapped off on my first test ride. Your bracket needs to be beefy. I can get you a picture of the tab I welded on for ideas but I pulled my swingarm to start thinking about the other issue I am running in to.

It is still chewing up the swing arm protector extremely fast so I rather than replace them every few hundred miles I need to work on something more resilient for the top of the swing arm too....

I will post more detail in the next few weeks after I figure it out.

"ON8JU Hi guy’s, i’m looking for a 2nd set of wheels for my 2010 XL700VA. Changing tires between off-roading and long onroad trips is a real pain.
I’ve been looking on secondhand sites for several months, but no success yet.
Can I buy a complete aftermarket set that fits my bike out of the box? Any experiences?
How much should an OEM wheel set cost?
Thanks for sharing! "

...used parts for a bike that new seems difficult. There are aftermarket hubs but then you will need to figure out the spacers, and make sure the discs are in the right place. Only if there is enough demand will someone have an out-of-the-box solution, so I doubt it. I'd bet a new pair of OEM wheels would be hard to find for less than 1200 Euros. I'd start at your dealer.

"TransAfrika - Hi a custom shock has the possibility to increase the shock travel and that make sense. I will buy one from wilbers for my bike to fit with the Rd04 fork. They told me to enlarge the travel and set the spring to the bike weight.

Did any body fit a KTM fork with two discs to a TA? Or that one from the Yamaha XT 660Z, perhaps that could be interesting for you too."

....I'd suppose you could look for a KTM 990 front end, seems overkill though. Your RD04 front end is built for double discs isn't it? In the US the Wilpers and the HyperPro distributor is one and the same. They say they hardly ever sell Wilbers these days. Not that it matters, thought it was interesting though.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #15696
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hi fellows,
may I once again return to the brake-line-thingy?
Firstly, the biggest problem over the years is 'growing' of the rubber-tube to the inside. You still can apply pressure to the caliper and thus to the pads, but it's takes some time to release this pressure and for the pads to leave the disc. I experienced this twice on elder cars with a combination of solid-pipe- and rubber-brake-lines. Changing the rubber-parts of the brake-lines solved the problem.
I believe, I'm sensible enough to feel that old rubber-line grow while applying pressure on the brake-lever. I have to admit, this goes mostly to our bunch of Suzuki GN 400s from the early 80-ies, learner's bikes which weren't much cared for by most of their owners and usually still sport the original brake-lines of 1980 - 1983.
And please bear in mind, if you discuss the pro's and con's of the lines: most of you are talking of brakes that have been up-graded in one or another way. Bigger rotors and/or better calipers, others than the original pads, with braided or rubber brake-lines. So, sorry, you're comparing apples to bananas. Brakes are very sensible systems, changing just the caliper and keeping the master-cylinder for example can lead to desastrous results!
Sorry, no offense, but very important thoughts in my opinion!
Last, concerning Spiegler: a close friend of mine just experienced the same with a brake-caliper that had been destroyed by the former owner of his Buell S2. Having asked for help, he gets a new, further developed one from Spiegler for a very reasonable price including the parts to upgrade the remaining caliper of his twin-disc set-up to the same level. That's simply:
Kind regards, Bambi ... sharing some bike-preferences with Ladder ...
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #15697
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Here is a picture of the chain roller tab I fabed up:

photo P1000001_zpsefcebc04.jpg

Like everything else, I just made a template out of some scrap, got it to fit the frame nicely, cut it out of a thicker plate of steel drilled the hole, and put it in a vice and hammered a bend to better align it. Then I took it to the belt sander and made it nice and pretty. Then tacked it on, straightened it up and tweaked it a little, then finished up the weld. I will post some pictures of it with the roller after I get it reassembled.

Also been working on the side covers, morphing the seat line of the KLR with the front lines of the TransAlp. I made molds of both side covers. Then made fiberglass replicas of both. Then I let her talk to me and tell me where to put the lines. Then I cut and taped the two replicas together to come up with this:

photo P1000002_zpsd5b9e451.jpg

photo P1000003_zps4f857375.jpg

Last night I borrowed the right KLR side cover from another inmate in town and made a mold for it....

But this is the exciting part. Twin Cartridge, blader forks off a 2008 SX-F 250. KTMs top of the line stuff:

photo P1000004_zps8400b4f9.jpg
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #15698
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
you are facing the same problems I had with my bike when I fitted ktm sxf forks
Imade several swingarm protectors using various material including teflon and polizene, but nothing did the trick.
In the end I had to lower the bike quite a bit, now I'll have to modify the forks to reduce the travel and avoid the front wheel hitting on the front frame stem on full compression

btw I am using a 0.50kg/mm rated spring on my 650 and it works wonders
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #15699
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like looking for a way to make them easily replaceable without pulling the swing arm might be in order then. Or maybe a small roller above the swing arm? Lowering it is not going to happen any time soon. I guess if it was easy they would call it an ATV.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #15700
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Been many moons (read decades) since I did an over nighter on the Transalp. I think it goes all the way back to around '90-'91, a years or 2 after I bought it. I was going to just use the soft bags from the 640 for the trip I am on but the bike is a bit wide for the straps and I've been saying for 20+ years I was going to buy side cases. Due to racing and general being too busy, I never bought the cases or took the time to travel on it, then life changes and the 950 comes along....

I broke down and bought a set of HB racks just before I left that according to the place I purchased them from, were compatible with my Gobi side cases. Sadly, though they fit well, not only did they send a bolt kit for some other model or year, there were no fittings for the clasps to latch onto. An hour of filing and grinding, I had fittings and saddlebags for the trip.

Anyhow, For a bike that is 24 years old, this trip has been a real surprise in how well this old beast can haul the mail on the back roads fully loaded. Since they raised the freeway speed limit to 70, it needs 6th gear really bad, otherwise, 5,500 RPM @ 65 MPH, about the same as the 5 speed 640. Horsepower is way down compared to the 950 but it comes on 1500 RPM sooner, nearly as smooth as a 4 cylinder and about as quiet as new car.

The downside is the fuel tank that goes dry way too fast. In the back country, when you get to 150 miles, there better be a gas station within the next 25. With the 950, I got spoiled and only stopped for gas once or twice a day instead of every 2-3 hours.

(Ignore the Initials, I borrowed a few accessories from her younger cousin)

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #15701
TRBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Looks good.
I'd recommend crash bars though, $150 in crash bars can save trying to find replacements for non-existent plastics that got busted up due to some minor slip.
TRBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #15702
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thanks Zach, It's nice to know it wasn't just me. I need to learn how to weld. Pulling the swingarm is not on the list until I can afford a new shock. At least I can play with my ride height until then. I have the front forks exposed about 1/2 now, but stll need stiffer springs(still going higher).

happyclam screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 07:35 AM
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #15703
Rob 110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Well 11 months on, here endeth the experiment

I came 3rd in Multicylinder championship

1st place was BMW HP2, 2nd was KTM 950
So you can race a 14yr old Transalp successfully against bikes with twice capacity and horsepower

But sold the bike today for £1000 and just had a happy customer email:

Quote:
Hi Rob,

It was good to meet you today.

I would be very happy to buy a bike off you anytime. It is fabulous and I love it already. I was so inspired I took it down a couple of easy lanes down here.. What a great bike. We managed to stay together even through the squidgy stuff. Are all off road bikes supposed to handle like that? It was so balanced. You have done a great job. It is also great fun on the tarmac.

Can't wait to get the knobblies on and try it across the Plain. It makes me think I need to sort the suspension on my 200 because it does not work as well as your Rally Alp. Depending how we get on in the mud and the chalk I may give The Rally Moto stuff a try.

Many Thanks and hope to see you again.

Cheers

i'll still keep peeking in here and maybe do another some day.....
Rob 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #15704
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
As I already said:
maximum respect Rob!
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #15705
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Thumb Brilliant !

WELL DONE, ROB !!

Thanks for proving that you don't need 11 inches of suspension travel and 90 HP to be competitive and have a pack of fun.....and for proving the TA can still run with the big boys when it counts.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote