User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #196
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Talking JBeasty...

If you don't mind me asking... what's one of those pipes cost?

I'm also running an Acerbis higher mounted fender on one of my TAs. What method of attachment did you use to mount yours? Did you just attach it to the lower triple crown using the two small holes or did you fab up your own bracket? I actually did both when mounting mine. I'm happy with it. I really like having more tire options and more clearance this mod has given me. I did leave that inner AL brace... I think the front end needs it.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #197
Jbeasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
aftermarket exhaust

Michael - with shipping, the MIG pipe was $474.99...ouch! I hear the aftermarket pipe of choice is the Laser Produro (or something like that), but I had no luck finding a distributer for the US. As for the front fender, I used the acerbis alum bracket plus fasioned some 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum stock into 2 "U" shaped brackets to the 2 triple crown holes. I then stabilized it in the rear with a metal bracket from one of the bolts holding the front brake line. It's held in place real firm, I'm happy with it. I kept the inner fork brace too.
Attached Images

Jbeasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #198
Jbeasty
Adventurer

fender

and the fender bracket....
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2004, 11:21 AM   #199
Jbeasty
Adventurer

more pics test
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 AM   #200
Jbeasty
Adventurer

We hit 200! ...ok, i'll stop now !
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #201
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked JBeasty...

Well, that pipe wasn't cheap, but it's probably the last pipe you'll ever need for the TA!

Your TA looks great! I like the aggressive stance and purposeful mods you've done. Hey, what size Pelican box did you use for your toolbox on the side? I've thought of doing this too. Any particular reasoning behind that particular size? It's always good to ask these things as there is always someone who figured out something you'd have missed somehow.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS YEAH!! Over 200 posts! SaaAAAWWEEEeeet!!! Damn, that's pretty good for a bike that's 15 years old!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #202
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thumb JBeasty...

Oh yeah, where did you get those VERY cool XL600V stickers?

I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #203
Jbeasty
Adventurer

pelican cases, stickers

Michael, The tool kit is the smallest pelican they make - #1120 I believe. I chose it because it fits snuggly between the side cover and rear turn signal, without having to remove or alter anything. I have a #1200 that I may put there sideways, then put the #1120 above the pipe on the other side. I like the look of the smaller less bulky cases, but obviously the drawback is less storage space... As for the stickers, I got them from Tricktape.com - you pick the font, size, color, etc. Note the sticker on the pelican box ! Truth is my bike doesn't sit long before I'm messin with it again. I tell myself (and my wife) that there is worse things I could be doing with idle time, yes?!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #204
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeasty
Michael, The tool kit is the smallest pelican they make - #1120 I believe. I chose it because it fits snuggly between the side cover and rear turn signal, without having to remove or alter anything. I have a #1200 that I may put there sideways, then put the #1120 above the pipe on the other side. I like the look of the smaller less bulky cases, but obviously the drawback is less storage space... As for the stickers, I got them from Tricktape.com - you pick the font, size, color, etc. Note the sticker on the pelican box ! Truth is my bike doesn't sit long before I'm messin with it again. I tell myself (and my wife) that there is worse things I could be doing with idle time, yes?!
COOL! I've got the side racks on one of my TAs so I'm going to use one of Pelican's micoboxes for a tool kit. It shoud still be 3 times the size of that itty bitty tool kit joke! Hey, you ever try taking out the factory tool kit and putting it back in in under 5 minutes?! If I ever attend a TA rally... I'll offer up that as an event for the night task!

Oh yeah... let's not forget the helmet lock! HA! I'd never lock my helmet up in that thing. I mean, it's too close to the swing arm/ chain area (eww... dirty!). Plus, with the helmet laying upsidedown and all open... it begs for a dude to come up and use it for a toilet!

On my more dirt worthy TA... I just might install some larger side boxes like the one on your bike. Maybe one on each side. Damn, if I do it right... they'd act as side protection areas when I lay the beast down off-road!

You fancy yourself a tinkering nut? Yeah, me too! I love modifying my bikes to fit me better. Even the (what some might think) stupidest thing... gets me all excited about my TA! Makes for great rainy day fun.

I agree on using your time on the TA rather than other things. I tell my wife the same thing. "Honey, would you rather me be at the local Hooters eating chicken wings and drinking myself sick?" -hahaha

-OK I don't really tell my wife things like that.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM   #205
seat_boy
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 156
[QUOTE=modrover]COOL! I've got the side racks on one of my TAs so I'm going to use one of Pelican's micoboxes for a tool kit. It shoud still be 3 times the size of that itty bitty tool kit joke! Hey, you ever try taking out the factory tool kit and putting it back in in under 5 minutes?! If I ever attend a TA rally... I'll offer up that as an event for the night task!

I finally got rid of the vinyl bag. Now I can fit all the tools--even the pliers--in the tool kit place. It's still not super easy.

Eric
Old 07-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #206
Jbeasty
Adventurer

tool kit

My bike did not have a tool kit on it, so I've been piecing one together. I wonder if there's any "must have" tools in the TA kit that I've over looked?... My little pelican kit can hold a "green slime" emergency tire reair kit among other essentials.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #207
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking Another 100 post milestone...

Gotta do it on the TA Thread!

Hey, not sure on that tool kit. I think anything is better than the cheap ass tools that Honda gives. Maybe just your basic moto tools with one of them long spark plug sockets.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #208
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking Guess what?

MAP doesn't do that front brake upgrade anymore. I emailed them and they said the numbers didn't justify the kits.

Oh well, too bad really. It really sounded like a nice upgrade. Maybe I'll just wait and use the whole front forks, brake system, and wheel off a XR650. I'm thinking that the brakes for that XR are probably smaller, but not sure. Good thing I'm broke right now... no need to dwell on it that much when you can't spend money to do it anyway.

The rear end... OK now that's really the place for the brake upgrade. I'm still wondering if one of the other Honda bikes (XRs or whatever) that have the stiffer AL swingarm and rear disc would bolt up to the TA without a shit load of modifying. Anything is possible.

My project TA is still in the works. I'm still in the research faze. I don't want to actually start pulling shit apart until the rains come in Oct. here in WA state. It's too nice to do that. Yeah, I've got two running TAs, but as sure as shit... I'd disable one and then the other would have something go tits up and I'm rideless for the rest of the summer! -well, it is a TA... nothing would probably go wrong... I'm just paranoid like that.

It's been dead around here on the old TA Thread... anyone have something to share with the rest of the class?

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #209
blownaway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Here is one with my 950 Adv & riding bud Courtney's TransAlp. Mt Hood Oregon

blownaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:55 PM   #210
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
front brake upgrade ...

...use the whole front forks, brake system, and wheel off a XR650.

The rear end... OK now that's really the place for the brake upgrade.

My project TA is still in the works. ...

It's been dead around here on the old TA Thread... anyone have something to share with the rest of the class?
With apologies for editing quote, but that's what I heard. Boring, eh?

Well why don't ya'all just get rid of all those old POS posers that require total upgrade to be at all useful for anything but puttzing down to the 7-11 and move up to the KTM 950. It's like a Transalp with some balls!!

arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote