Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 AM   #211
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,210
Not a Honda man myself but can appreciate TA & AT.

Follow the link to a few AT/TA photos I took at the recent Horizons Unlimited UK meet:

http://possu.smugmug.com/gallery/161238
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:32 AM   #212
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
I'd have to say... wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Those Doms are very cool too! Even if they are just singles...

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickford
Not a Honda man myself but can appreciate TA & AT.

Follow the link to a few AT/TA photos I took at the recent Horizons Unlimited UK meet:

http://possu.smugmug.com/gallery/161238
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #213
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oh dear... tisk tisk tisk...

I'd agree on that 7-11 run. Yeah, if that 7-11 was on the other side of Mt. OhShit and the only up and over was a forgotten Jeep trail!

You have both so YUCk it up!

Actually, if I wasn't such a TA FREAK... I'd have an old R80GS or R100GS (pre fairing junk). The old bikes have something the newer bikes just don't appear to have... real STYLE baby! Nothing beats the 80s for the style dept.!

Here's what I'm talk'n 'bout!

~Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
With apologies for editing quote, but that's what I heard. Boring, eh?

Well why don't ya'all just get rid of all those old POS posers that require total upgrade to be at all useful for anything but puttzing down to the 7-11 and move up to the KTM 950. It's like a Transalp with some balls!!

Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-21-2004, 08:09 AM   #214
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,922
TA- new front brake option

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
MAP doesn't do that front brake upgrade anymore. I emailed them and they said the numbers didn't justify the kits.

It's been dead around here on the old TA Thread... anyone have something to share with the rest of the class?
here's something to cry about- when I called MAP last year for the kit they told me they sold the last one a week prior to my call.

Anyway- potential very good news- I asked the guy who built a brake kit for Honda Hawks (a 6 piston caliper and GSXr rotor- works great- I have one on my Hawk) to look at a potential TA solution. He designed and built a bracket that relocates the stock TA caliper so that you can use a stock Hawk rotor which is larger (and I think a little thicker) than the stock TA rotor. Combined with steel braided lines and HH pads (which he thinks might not even be necessary) this should provide a relatively inexpensive upgrade to the TA.

I should be doing this in the next month or so and will let you all know how it works. Keep fingers crossed

regards,
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #215
GSXplorer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover

My project TA is still in the works. I'm still in the research faze. I don't want to actually start pulling shit apart until the rains come in Oct. here in WA state. It's too nice to do that. Yeah, I've got two running TAs, but as sure as shit... I'd disable one and then the other would have something go tits up and I'm rideless for the rest of the summer! -well, it is a TA... nothing would probably go wrong... I'm just paranoid like that.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Should be no worries mate if something goes on one bike you've got a complete set of spare parts right there in your garage. Besides these things can be pulled apart and reassembled pretty quickly. I just in stalled some Progressive suspension fork springs and it took a few beers and an afternoon to pull the forks off the bike to do it.
Attached Images

GSXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #216
GSXplorer

Befor the new fork springs the bike was sitting way down in the stroke, longer preload spaceres made the ride harsh the Progressive springs got the sag spot on for me using 25mm less preload.

Now my question is can I get a replacement rear spring?
Does anyone know the springrate of the stocker?
I know they changed the rear shock a couple times but were the changes only to the mounts, meaning a spring from a '93 will fit on my '87?

The spring is 265mm long unmounted, I forgot to get the ID/OD. but a close measurement is about 75mm ID and 85mm OD
Attached Images

GSXplorer screwed with this post 07-21-2004 at 12:16 PM
Old 07-21-2004, 10:01 AM   #217
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Works performance has some good stats for shocks. It doesn't have spring rates, but does show how the TA shock compares to others: http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/dirtbikes.pdf

I recently updgraded my NX's rear shock with a Works Performance shock and it has a Hyperco spring. I'd call them if you want just a new spring for the TA.
http://www.hypercoils.com/

Otherwise the Works rear shock is a good option. Or $$Ohlins$$. :)
Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #218
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wish I could help in the sus. dept. boys. Unfortunately, this is an area of which I have no experience yet. Haven't needed to do anything. Well, I did adjust the spring height in the back with the two adjuster nuts. I'm not even sure I got THAT right. I made it more stiff as I've added the Happy Trails rack to it and will be using boxes on it at some point.

I'm interested in what you guys use and the methods too. Keep us all informed with the work.

Side note- I've found the soft sus. to be kind of nice. I don't think I'll be changing anything for some time. Off-road the soft springs match my riding style... slow old man style! I could see wanting more sus. later, but for now... I like the Cady ride!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #219
GSXplorer

Yep the softer suspension helps soak up the bumps nicely. From reading lots of internet sites you want to use the whole suspension travel. Problem with mine is sitting on the bike weighing about 210lbs I was using 3" of the available 7.5" of travel or about 40%. Add passenger and a bit of gear and it leaves me with even less travel available to soak up the bumps and the bike is working further down in the stroke which also doesn't help make for a plush compliant ride.
I cranked up the preload to get about 2.25" of sag but the ride was pretty harsh. So I backed it out a bit from there.
I am trying to find a spring that will allow in the neighborhood of 25% sag with minimum amount of preload. The search continues....
Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #220
GSXplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
Works performance has some good stats for shocks. It doesn't have spring rates, but does show how the TA shock compares to others: http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/dirtbikes.pdf

I recently updgraded my NX's rear shock with a Works Performance shock and it has a Hyperco spring. I'd call them if you want just a new spring for the TA.
http://www.hypercoils.com/

Otherwise the Works rear shock is a good option. Or $$Ohlins$$. :)
I checked out you upgrade page were in about the same boat.
The fork springs are the same part number used for the TA and NX and a few other bikes. How does the NX shock compare to the TA's for dimensions? Very cool pair of bikes you have there. A friend of mine has the NX250 and loves it but is looking for new shock and larger tank as well.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 AM   #221
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
just picked mine up yesterday!

This is a very timely thread for me. I picked up my ’89 TA yesterday. It has 9,856 miles, no apparent signs of abuse and looks like a great rider. I’ve been jonsing for one for quite a while and scored this one out of the blue. Questions: what is the best source of basic information? is there a manual available? best 3 modifications, not including tires (a given!)? major problems? maintenance quirks? recommended fork oil and amount? Thanks a ton. I’d post a pic but it’s dead stock at this point. I'm doing Continental TKC 80s next week and a complete break fluid change. Then one mod at a time, as funds permit.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #222
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXplorer
How does the NX shock compare to the TA's for dimensions? Very cool pair of bikes you have there. A friend of mine has the NX250 and loves it but is looking for new shock and larger tank as well.
Dimension-wise, the NX shock is shorter than the TA shock. I was hoping to put in a bit longer shock in the NX but there wasn't room. I have the NX set for 10% stiffer than stock and it works great - even fully loaded. The TA suspension is still down the road for me, but the mystery has been dispelled and I know what I would do. Progressive springs up front and Works shock in the rear.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #223
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Good on the TA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlec
This is a very timely thread for me. I picked up my ’89 TA yesterday. It has 9,856 miles, no apparent signs of abuse and looks like a great rider. I’ve been jonsing for one for quite a while and scored this one out of the blue. Questions: what is the best source of basic information? is there a manual available? best 3 modifications, not including tires (a given!)? major problems? maintenance quirks? recommended fork oil and amount? Thanks a ton. I’d post a pic but it’s dead stock at this point. I'm doing Continental TKC 80s next week and a complete break fluid change. Then one mod at a time, as funds permit.

Hey Larlec,

Nice bike! You shoud still post a photo. Even stock bikes look sweet!

Manuals can be had from the dealership for only $50! And it's a genuine factory reprint. Much better than the others out on the market.

Best 3 mods? This is loaded! haha For me:
1) Corbin seat -I hate the stocker
2) Crash bars -don't wait until it's too late
3) Taller windscreen -try the Givi screen (mine is a modified clearview)
--then it's heated grips, rear rack box, skid plate, and mud tires

Problems: CDI units (be sure to order the newer style holders as these totally reduce this problem), speedo gear (plastic gear just gives up the ghost from years of use and poor lube -use the white lithium grease on it) -those are the two most common.

Quirks? Just how much of a pain in the ass getting to some of the spark plugs and adj. valves.

Fork oil? Not sure yet as I haven't done that.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS I'll post some of the other locations for TA info. soon too.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #224
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
thanks, modrover

good info. I think the recommended fork oil is ATF, now I just need the amount. I'll check at the dealer today and order a manual. I'll post a pic soon.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #225
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/index...20cc083e9a5dcb

This is a really active bunch.

~Michael
Washougal, WA USA