User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #226
GSXplorer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by larlec
good info. I think the recommended fork oil is ATF, now I just need the amount. I'll check at the dealer today and order a manual. I'll post a pic soon.
You hadn't metioned if you've seen Deti's page, all kinds of info an specs and stats and links ...
http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/sitemap.html

If the front feels soft and dives too much progressive fork springs make a huge difference. I am experimenting with fork oil wt. and height currently about 3:1 7wt:10wt 130mm from the top of the fork tube, springs out forks compressed. This is woking well for me, nicely damped for street a bit slow for off roading. Next time I'll try all 5wt and then add a heavier wt.(if necessary) and see what kind of ride I get.

From what I've read around the web ATF is like a box of chocolats you never know what wt. your going to get.

IF your doing light trails your plastic skidplate will keep the mud off the engine but if it gets more serious think about an aluminum plate.
GSXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #227
GSXplorer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
Dimension-wise, the NX shock is shorter than the TA shock. I was hoping to put in a bit longer shock in the NX but there wasn't room. I have the NX set for 10% stiffer than stock and it works great - even fully loaded. The TA suspension is still down the road for me, but the mystery has been dispelled and I know what I would do. Progressive springs up front and Works shock in the rear.
Agreed the Pro springs are woking well, as for the rear I like to think I'll put in an AT swingarm someday. For now its a spring, maybe a whole damper. I've considered wilbers and hyperpro too cause of the height adjustablity feature.
The imediate future is a new handlebar, I replaced the top rotted rubber bush with a urethane bush and thick washer. Bars feel solid mounted with a tiny bit of give instead of the wonky rubber feel before. Then the seat refoamed and covered.
GSXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #228
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
here's something to cry about- when I called MAP last year for the kit they told me they sold the last one a week prior to my call.

Anyway- potential very good news- I asked the guy who built a brake kit for Honda Hawks (a 6 piston caliper and GSXr rotor- works great- I have one on my Hawk) to look at a potential TA solution. He designed and built a bracket that relocates the stock TA caliper so that you can use a stock Hawk rotor which is larger (and I think a little thicker) than the stock TA rotor. Combined with steel braided lines and HH pads (which he thinks might not even be necessary) this should provide a relatively inexpensive upgrade to the TA.

I should be doing this in the next month or so and will let you all know how it works. Keep fingers crossed

regards,
Keep us posted Walter, I am very interested in upgrading the TA's brakes. I have ordered a stainless steel brake line from Galfer, will see how much of an improvement it makes.
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #229
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
fork oil and such...

Progr. springs and DEXRON III oil worked the best for me, and I would highly recommend an aluminum bash plate, even if you dont off road much, (rabbits and rocks and such).I went over Schofield pass between Crested Butte and Marble and spent most of the way down the Devils Punchbowl on my bash plate. The first thing to get taken out is usually the water pump, (don't ask how I know this!). Also went to 15w-50 full synthetic oil and it not only seems to have more power but runs cooler too with no clutch slippage. First valve adjust was a waste at 15,000 cause all was perfect, at 30,000 exhausts started to tighten up a bit. Close to 45,000 now so we shall see...
Quote:
good info. I think the recommended fork oil is ATF, now I just need the amount. I'll check at the dealer today and order a manual. I'll post a pic soon.

Mechanista screwed with this post 07-22-2004 at 01:32 PM Reason: forgot to add...
Mechanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #230
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanista
The first thing to get taken out is usually the water pump, (don't ask how I know this!).
Did you have to replace the pump cover gasket when you replaced the water pump?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 AM   #231
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
Pump Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
Did you have to replace the pump cover gasket when you replaced the water pump?
I had to replace the entire unit after a rock tore through the effeminate limp thing that some call a skid plate.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:57 AM   #232
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanista
I had to replace the entire unit after a rock tore through the effeminate limp thing that some call a skid plate.
Nasty! Good justification for getting the SW-motech bashplate.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:25 PM   #233
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
skid plate mod

Where does on obtain a good skid plate? Is Mo-tech the best? Where does one find them? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #234
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Where does on obtain a good skid plate? Is Mo-tech the best? Where does one find them? Thanks.

I've got the SW-Motech. I'm not sure if it's the best, but it's really the only one I know of. Here's the link http://twistedthrottle.net/

The owner's a pretty cool dude. He also has the crash bars too.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #235
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thumb Front sprocket changed out...

My 4k TA still had the original 15t front sprocket. I replaced that with a 16t as I mainly do street with this TA. It's a nice difference. I think it lowered the rpm down by 500-600. I like to get on the Interstate with this bike and maintain speeds of 70-80 mph for longer periods. It now does that with a nice mellow purr!

I'm planning on replacing my 36K TA (the one with mud tires) 16t sprocket to at least a 15t and maybe even a 14t. I'd like the power to come a bit lower for the slower speed off-road stuff. There's a fellow TA owner who is going to be putting the 14t on soon... I can't wait to hear what he thinks.

I used to think a shaft drive would be the shit. Now, after playing around with the sprockets (and chain)... I'm liking the cheap and quick ease of use.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #236
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

This is an @T. Later this year... I'd like to do something similar to my higher mile TA.

I know 50 lbs. could easily be removed with just the fairing stuff. I'd use a 5-6 gal. plastic tank and make mine less flashy than this example. Maybe even use flat black plastic fenders and tank for that... Hey, I'm a secrete agent look!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Look close at the photo... that's actually a TA tank on a @T! HA! It's usually the other way around. Damn cool bike... wish it was mine!
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-27-2004, 12:23 AM   #237
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 389
First mod to the 8 day old Transalp.

apologies for the grainy pic
Attached Images

jackafrica screwed with this post 07-27-2004 at 12:52 AM Reason: remove a few words
jackafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 AM   #238
jackafrica

304 muffler saved from the crusher then cut and shut ( was a left side Monster ), 316 tubing, retained Honda carbon crush gasket on flange, stock muffler clamp. Saves 2kg on stock.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2004, 07:21 AM   #239
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackafrica
304 muffler saved from the crusher then cut and shut ( was a left side Monster ), 316 tubing, retained Honda carbon crush gasket on flange, stock muffler clamp. Saves 2kg on stock.

OK... it's official... we hate you now!

A wonderful bike with a sweet pipe! I like it!

What's in the works for mods later? Skidplate? Windscreen?

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 07-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #240
jackafrica

Further mods in the future

First will be a set of frames for soft panniers, undecided on the material, but probably stainless or alloy. Will be integral with a new rack to replace the stock plastic jobbie. A plate for the exposed underside of the engine is a possible.
Heated grips are my next priority, bought some from Warmfit in New Zealand, some wiring mods will be required to make them tidy.
Pipe sounds great. Deep at idle, quiet at a costant speed, slight increase over stock on acceleration, deep burble on deceleration. No backfiring.