User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #271
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
and another...

just because I got the TRANSALP in the shot...
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #272
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Not from today...

This was from a ride I did with a friend last month (he rode a DL650) up to Mt. St. Helen's. This ALWAYS makes for a great ride!

This is the road that zigzags it's way up to Windy Ridge lookout. This is a paved road, but a guy can easily find tons of logging roads to link this road into a better route.
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 08-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #273
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

one more...

I've posted this before, but it's a nice shot!
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 08-20-2004, 06:09 AM   #274
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Thumb Motivated to Beef Up the Suspension

Now that I've upgraded the suspension on my "other" bike, the TA seems especially soft and is on the top of the list for winter mods. Here's my plan:

Progressive heavy-duty fork springs
Hyperco shock spring - 10-15% stiffer than stock
Stainless steel brake line
New clutch and throttle cables (damn they're stiff now)
New water pump (I've had the pump on my bench for a couple months now)

Hopefully I'll be able to do this again next spring without bottoming out:
Attached Images

transalper screwed with this post 08-20-2004 at 09:18 AM
transalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #275
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
Now that I've upgraded the suspension on my "other" bike, the TA seems especially soft and is on the top of the list for winter mods. Here's my plan:

Progressive heavy-duty fork springs
Hyperco shock spring - 10-15% stiffer than stock
Stainless steel brake line
New clutch and throttle cables (damn they're stiff now)
New water pump (I've had the pump on my bench for a couple months now)

Hopefully I'll be able to do this again next spring without bottoming out:

In can't seem to upload the pic, so the link will have to do for now.
Well, you should have a nice long cold winter to do all those things!

Hey, I can talk... I'm from WI.

Great jump shot!

I go back and forth on the strip down of my TA. Do I totally strip it down into an enduro monster or just go buy a DR650 or something that's already light? Not sure.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 08-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #276
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Hey, I can talk... I'm from WI.
Interesting...so was I, long, long ago. SW WI
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #277
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
Interesting...so was I, long, long ago. SW WI

SE for me. Lake Geneva area. I went to the U of WI at Whitewater. Used to ride Mt. Bikes in that wonderful Kettle Moraine area.

In fact... I raced up in Hayward (in Transalper land) at the BIG 40 miler mountain bike race. You know, the one Greg Lemond used to do.

Fall was best. I hated the humid summers and bitter cold winters.

WA is great for weather (a bit hot this summer), but I do miss the changing of the seasons. Yeah, you can go up to the mountains and get that...

There is something cool about having it all around you... it really gives the feeling of time passing. Here in Vancouver, WA... damn if you could forget what the hell month it was if not for a calendar!

I do like it here better for sure. There are so many things open to us here. This is true of a lot of the west. Lots of places to go... and the gov isn't trying to protect you from yourself doing it.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #278
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, you should have a nice long cold winter to do all those things!

I go back and forth on the strip down of my TA. Do I totally strip it down into an enduro monster or just go buy a DR650 or something that's already light? Not sure.
It was in the 40s on my ride in this morning, so it feels like winter is getting close already.

IMHO, converting the TA into an Enduro Monster will be a fun project. Will the monster enduro TA ever be as good off-road as a nicely set-up DR or XRL or LC4? Probably not. It just depends where you want to spend your time. Working on the project or riding. ;)
Old 08-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #279
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
It was in the 40s on my ride in this morning, so it feels like winter is getting close already.

IMHO, converting the TA into an Enduro Monster will be a fun project. Will the monster enduro TA ever be as good off-road as a nicely set-up DR or XRL or LC4? Probably not. It just depends where you want to spend your time. Working on the project or riding. ;)
I hear ya! I always lean towards my TA. I'm a tink'r for sure. I love doint mods and such. Keeps me balanced.

Hey, I just saw that you're a water resources dude. Cool! That's what I was doing in college. My BS degree is in Environmental Geography (Geology minor). I did an internship with the DNR testing water quality by the invertebrates found in the local streams. I also did an internship with the National Weather Service as a weather monitor at the Madison airport. Let's see... I also worked with the WI DNR on soil erosion in the Kettle Moraine area. Did a little research paper on it. I really like that kind of work.

Funny... I'm a Land Rover mechanic. Yeah, I got hooked on these a long time ago. After finishing my degree I thought I'd like to give wrench'n a go. I dig it still, but sometimes I wish I was using my brain more... you know... to it's fuller potential!

Life is strange... you never knows what's around the corner or what the hell you're going to do when you get there.

BTW... what's the job you got? Tell me more about it.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #280
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I hear ya! I always lean towards my TA. I'm a tink'r for sure. I love doint mods and such. Keeps me balanced.

Hey, I just saw that you're a water resources dude. Cool! BTW... what's the job you got? Tell me more about it.
I'm one of those brainwashed, overregulated zombies who loves to spout it to others. I work for a Soil and Water Conservation District (yes, the government!) and work with private and public landowners to improve wildlife habitat and water quality. I also inspect construction sites for proper erosion controls. Nice thing is I get to take the TA out on some of my rounds.

Here are some pics of some streambank stabilization projects I've done. Notice the TA??
http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/imag...g50900_dwn.jpg
http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/imag...s50900_dwn.jpg
Old 08-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #281
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Fully loaded adventure touring TA!!!

Hey TA Freaks!

Just did a little "trial" ride this past weekend on my TA in preparation for my upcoming two-week Canada trip and ultimately a RTW next year.

The following mods I have made recently include Happy Trails Aluminum Panniers (the big ones) and a Givi 52 Liter Top Box on the back. I also got some new Tourance tires installed.

I need all the luggage capacity I can get as I am traveling two-up with my girlfriend and camping gear. The Happy Trails set up is nice as you can get the heavy stuff in the boxes and load the camping gear on dry bags strapped to the lids. I figure I can get nearly 200 liters capacity with this setup. My girlfriend still had enough leg clearance with the dry bags strapped to the lids. We kept the top box as empty as possible to allow for convienient access to warmer layers, food, etc. Since we were only gone for the weekend, we didn't have a ton of stuff, but it all adds up fast, I figure with the weight of the luggage and everything, we had about 70 lbs of gear. For long term travel, I figure we will have about 80-100 lbs of gear between the two of us. Add my 120 lb girlfriend on the back and I was hauling close to 200# of extra weight. Adding in the weight of the bike (~430 lbs wet), the total was about 630 lbs. A healthy load. I am about 170 lbs.

I will have to admit, that once I got everything loaded and my girlfriend on the bike, I was a bit nervous on how this beast would perform. But getting on the highway, I was impressed at the stability of the bike. The panniers make the bike wide (40"), but even with the extra weight, the bike handled great. I could ride with complete confidence at 70-75mph. I hadn't gotten around to adjusting the shock yet, the preload is set in the middle currently. The front end rides a bit light, but once I crank up the preload, I would expect the front end to ride a bit better. It is still ok now though.

The most amazing thing I found was that even fully loaded up, crusing at 65-70mph, I still got 50mpg!!! That was a huge surprise.

Once we got up into the mountains near Bucks Lake, Calif, we were able to explore some national forest roads (gravel & dirt). I am used to riding off-road with my XR250L and knobby tires. The fully loaded Transalp is over 350# heavier than my trail bike. But even with the Tourance tires, I was able to ride with confidence on these roads. Traction was fine on the hard packed surfaces and even sufficient on some loose packed gravel. I was really surprised at the ability of these tires and the fully loaded bike on the dirt roads. I don't expect much in sand or really loose gravel, but hell I will be avoiding this stuff anyway on my TA!

I will do a full report on the Happy Trails Panniers later when I get a chance. Time will tell how these will hold up in the long term, but first impressions are positive. The TA is a true adventure machine, it will handle two-up adventure touring as well as anything!
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #282
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
I'm one of those brainwashed, overregulated zombies who loves to spout it to others. I work for a Soil and Water Conservation District (yes, the government!) and work with private and public landowners to improve wildlife habitat and water quality. I also inspect construction sites for proper erosion controls. Nice thing is I get to take the TA out on some of my rounds.

Here are some pics of some streambank stabilization projects I've done. Notice the TA??
http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/imag...g50900_dwn.jpg
http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/imag...s50900_dwn.jpg
A bit late, but my apologies to ya Transalper. My post was a bit strongly worded. I deleted it. I was raised in Wisc. and it definitely wasn't for me. but...toocheezown, as they say in the SW. I left Siberia over 30 years ago.

Nice work you did on that stream. I've done similar things in NM, trying to get willows to grow to stop bank erosion. We also tried, with limited success to build soil cement check dams that are like curved fingers facing upstream to catch sediment and build up a bar. We got grasses and eventually willows to grow on some. Gradient is not our friend in the moutains. A lot of our streams are intermittent flow, tho.

Soooo....How's them Transalps?
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:29 AM   #283
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

All's cool arroyoshark. Bioengineering and TAs seem to go hand-in-hand! When out on rides I am the dork who is always stopping to take pics of the river restoration and trail stabilization projects.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #284
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,905
Thumb Front Brake Modification

Here's the brake solution I mentioned previously. Basically you install a custom bracket for the stock caliper and then use a stock Honda Hawk rotor that's noticeably bigger. Add (if you don't already have ithem) a SS brake line and upgraded (EBC in my case) pads.

Voila! Instant very large improvement in braking- feel, power, fade resistance- all in a two finger brake (one, if its strong). As soon as they bed in, I'll post a TA stoppie pic

If interested, contact Steve Lenac at bigboy11@sigmaweb.net

Steve has some used rotors and brackets left.

One view of the bracket
Attached Images

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #285
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,905
another view.

As an aside, the bracket has a little too much meat in one section and need to be feathered a bit to locate the caliper. A few minutes with a dremel type tool is needed to sand it out.
Attached Images

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote