OK, here's my Africa Twin. Mods include,

African Queens Rallye fairing and rear fender
RickyCross front and rear bars
Longer forks and longer rear linkage
Ohlins shock
Renthal bars with Acerbis guards
Stock instruments removed and replaced with Touratech IMO
Enduro front fender
BSM carbon exhaust with Dynojet kit and K&N filter.

It has now been returned to stock and is for sale.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #17
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Question KTiM...

Why would you want to sell such a bike? Are you saying that you'd rather be riding a KTM 640 than an AT 750? Just curious... not trying to be Mr.Opinion.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TransAlp
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA

PS That bike would be gone in a second if it was for sale here in the states!
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Here's pic of my '89 Transalp, from the Haines Highway.

Modifications:

National "Cheeta" windscreen
Givi engine guards
Motosport Pannier racks
Nelson-Rigg saddlebags with custom made hard mount
Custom frame/seatpan brace to protect CDI unit
Custom made rear rack
Pirelli Scorpion MT tires
PIAA headlight bulb
Electric connector for heated vest
K&N air filter for this trip
Attached Images

arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #19
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Question arroyoshark...

Did you get any trouble having the red gas can on the back? I know cops around here would just flip for that! :ymca

Nice bike. How do you like that windscreen? Does it produce the typical turbulence around the helmet?

I've been kicking around spacing mine from the bike about an 1 or so. This would allow the air to come under the screen just enough to smooth out that head rattle. Well, I think it might...

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA

PS Nice TA water crossing! How'd it do thru that? Any water get sucked into areas we TA guys need to watch out for?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #20
Ludlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
OK, so this is not the prettiest modification displayed so far, but I would appreciate some insight as to why it is there. To European owners of 'alps this is simply the center stand. No big deal for you, but US 89-90s are not supposed to have one ( I can't fathom Honda's thinking on that).

Years ago when I bought the bike I knew little about them, and did not think to ask the previous owner about it. I assumed they all had them. This one certainly looked stock to me. Does anyone recognize a brand? I get asked about it occasionally and I'm tired of shrugging ignorantly. Everything else about the bike indicates a US model.
Attached Images

Ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #21
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Did you get any trouble having the red gas can on the back? I know cops around here would just flip for that! :ymca

Nice bike. How do you like that windscreen? Does it produce the typical turbulence around the helmet?

I've been kicking around spacing mine from the bike about an 1 or so. This would allow the air to come under the screen just enough to smooth out that head rattle. Well, I think it might...

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA

PS Nice TA water crossing! How'd it do thru that? Any water get sucked into areas we TA guys need to watch out for?

Thanks Michael, bike's in excellent condition despite couple of trips to the Yukon and Alaska. Gee, I've not had any trouble carrying gas can on back. It's pretty standard equipment way north. I've ridden across Washington twice now, coming back, with gas can with no attention from leos whatsoever. On the Alaska ferry this last time, however, the purser asked me to check the empty can in at their onboard hazardous material storage. No big deal.

I've got to have to be blunt about the windscreens. I think the Clearview shield for the Transalp is a piece of shit and the company gave no thought whatsoever in its design. It is turbulent as hell and, for a dual-sport screen, it comes back in your face too far. I paid the two prices those bastards wanted for it, tried it and pitched the damn thing in a dumpster!! The National "Cheeta" screen was a huge improvement over both stock and clearview. It's wider at top, but there is still minor buffeting at top of helmet. Your idea of setting the windscreen off from the cowling is a good one. I saw a picture of a KTM 950 in recent thread on this site where the stock windscreen was offset maybe only 1/4" from cowl, with nylon washers. I think that would be sufficient, and actually might give that a try myself.

The water crossing was in the NWT, on the old Canol Road. Once into the NWT on this road, the old timber WWII bridges have fallen in, so you have to cross the streams and rivers until you just chicken out! My boots were the only thing to take on water.

If I can find it I'll post another pic from that road in this thread.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 AM   #22
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked Windscreens... UGH! Better off without 'em!

Hey... you motivated me to try the spacing of the screen. My Clearview has these big ass holes that the four screws pass thru into the cowl. With the additional room I was able to use 1/2" white nylon spacers AND still get the screws to screw in. I didn't have to make any new holes in the screen for this. It appears to be very solid still just trying to move it by hand. The real test will be at speed. I'm installing a speedo drive gear tomorrow so I'll be taking her on a ride sometime in the evening. I'll let you know how it works out. This just might be the ticket... or it might make it worse. How exciting!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TransAlp
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 AM   #23
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thumb Ludlow...

Nice center stand! I wish I had one.

You are correct in that the US bikes never had those. Someone did you a big old favor! I just wish I knew who... I'd get one too.

By all means... someone fill us in on this stand. Is it a production stand actually made for the TA or is it off some other bike and made to fit on the TA? Hmm...

Regards,
Michael
'89 TransAlp
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 04-16-2004, 05:24 AM   #24
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Center Stands

I'm not sure what brand it is, but here's some Hauptständer info:

http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/stand.html
http://www.mo-tech.de/staender/haupt..._XL600_13.html

Maybe 5-star?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #25
arroyoshark
Needing some space

[QUOTE=modrover]Hey... you motivated me to try the spacing of the screen. My Clearview has these big ass holes that the four screws pass thru into the cowl. With the additional room I was able to use 1/2" white nylon spacers AND still get the screws to screw in. I didn't have to make any new holes in the screen for this. It appears to be very solid still just trying to move it by hand. The real test will be at speed. I'll let you know how it works out. This just might be the ticket... or it might make it worse. [QUOTE]

In considering this modification further, I would suggest you also might try stuffing some foam weatherstrip in the new space on the sides of the screens. This would then just allow air flow to enter from the front, which might reduce noise and unwanted turbulence. Should make the modified windscreen flow air more efficiently.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #26
Ludlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
I'm not sure what brand it is, but here's some Hauptständer info:

http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/stand.html
http://www.mo-tech.de/staender/haupt..._XL600_13.html

Maybe 5-star?
Nice looking products, but clearly not mine. Don't know what the 5-star looks like. I find it strange that it has no (obvious) brand markings. It also now appears that the bolt threads through tabs that really should not be there.

Its nice, but as Deti points out in the link above, apart from emergency repairs you can get along without it -- keeping weight down and clearance up.
Thanks. I apologize if this was a highjack.
Ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #27
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Eek Windscreens...

I will give the spaced windscreen a try without trying to block off anything first. I'll then try limiting the amount of air flow on the sides to see how that changes things. I'll let you know how it works out.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TransAlp
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 04-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #28
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Why would you want to sell such a bike? Are you saying that you'd rather be riding a KTM 640 than an AT 750? Just curious... not trying to be Mr.Opinion.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TransAlp
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA

PS That bike would be gone in a second if it was for sale here in the states!
Whilst I loved having the AT (It's the bike that I have owned for the longest time) I did find that it was a bit of a hand full off road (this is in the main down to my woefull lack of ability rather than anything that the bike does wrong). So, bottom line is that I need all the help I can get and the KTM being quite a bit lighter gives me that help.

The AT was however much better than the KTM on road. Mrs KTiM used to ride with me on our holidays in France but this August she will be flying to the South of France whilst I make the 600+ mile ride across France!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:40 PM   #29
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking KTiM.....

Understand completely! My TA is a beast on anything other than a wide fire road. Once again... it really comes down to the rider.

I'm not a brilliant off-roader. I do OK, but also benefit from the lightest thing I can ride. I own a KL250G7 that allows me more margin of error.

It's nice having two bikes to choose from. Funny thing... I'd still like another bike! I've given great thought to maybe buying a DRZ400 dual sport next year. I'd probably sell my KL at that point to fund it. I'd miss the KL, but would welcome a bit more poop from the 400cc size.

Hey, have fun on that epic ride. You'll probably have more fun without your wife... they usually have to have things all nice and neat and stuff.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'03 KL250G7
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 04-16-2004, 11:46 PM   #30
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked Exhaust heat shield on a TA

My homemade exhaust heat shield. Better than factory for protection of body and gear.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA