Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #5671
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335
Not sure what '89 you are looking at but my T/A countershaft sprocket has only 13 splines? Same as a 89 Hawk GT 650, these counter shaft sprockets are interchangable and I swapped mine to the Hawk's 15T. Maybe your '87 has the 30 tooth spline?
Mas335, I guess I was off a few splines. I was going off memory of what I saw earlier in the day. Mine has 6 splines. It is a first year Euro bike that ended up in the States.

Does anyone know of another 87 TA here in the US?
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #5672
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,859
Check the JT sprocket page for XR600R. They are 6 spline and have the same OD as the TA output shaft. You'll have to do some careful measurements on your sprocket and shaft to find an exact fit but it does not appear impossible.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...el_uid=4374&p=

Also the NX650 has 6 splines. Dig around in that site.

I dropped a kind email to the JT guys praising them for including the engineering drawings. Maybe some of you guys could do the same. It sure makes searching for out of the ordinary things much, much easier.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #5673
Eastinbmar
...the hills of Tennessee

Oddometer: 87
Thanks to all who replied.

We're going to go through everything listed. I'll post back when we find something.

Thanks again.
MOA, BMWRA, CMA, AAAA, Rounder #71
Extremely modest, and proud of it!
Eastinbmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #5674
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe
Mas335, I guess I was off a few splines. I was going off memory of what I saw earlier in the day. Mine has 6 splines. It is a first year Euro bike that ended up in the States.

Does anyone know of another 87 TA here in the US?

Well I see what you are talking about, I have a 14T 6 spline countershaft sprocket that may have come off a NX650 or possibly a NX250? I hate it when I don't label stuff. Once again I have tried to post an image of this Countershaft sprocket and it says I have upload the maximum of one file? Anyone know what's going on with posting images?

I know of two Canadian pre 89 Transalps, does that qualify as euro T/A's? I think there are a few around so you are not alone.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #5675
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
countershaft sprocket

I just changed out my stock 15 tooth for a 16 tooth on my 1989 TA it had 13 splines. I was surprised how rusty the countershaft and sprocket were since the bike only has 8500 miles on it. I cleaned off as much rust from the shaft as I could with old tooth brush and greased both it and the new sprocket with thick synthetic grease as a protectant. I bought the Original Honda Part instead of the aftermarket the dealer wanted to sell (at half the price of the honda part, $54 vs $26) Because I wanted to be sure the hardness was right relative to the countershaft, and I wanted the rubber cushion surround on the shaft, as shown in picture of post 5202. The chain was pretty new so I did not think it was a problem not changing out all sprockets and chain at same time.

Remember, when you install bigger countershaft sprocket and move forward the rear wheel, you have to adjust the linkage of the rear brake!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #5676
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

I have a NX250 sitting in the garage next to the TA. I will take a peak and see if it looks the same.
I have a riding buddy with a first year XR600 and will have him bring a sprocket over to check it out.
Thanks guys!

Can anyone ID this plate?

Old 11-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #5677
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
License plate

It's from Moldova, between Romania and Ukraine. Where did you take the picture?

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #5678
urchindog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchindog
ok you guys....got the bike going back together...i've reinstalled the tanked and repainted radiators...in boat terms on the starboard or right side as your sitting on the bike is the radiator half with the fan....got the fan wires plugged back in...below it the temp switch wire and this is my question...also in that group of wires is a green wire with a black protective cover on it...the connector has long ago broke off.....anybody know what this connects to ? is it just a ground for the fan circute?

tks for any help...

Bryan
Any thoughts at all on this wire ??

Bryan
urchindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #5679
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,859
Green wire of Mystery

Bryan,

I'll try to include a scan of the TA electrical diagram. I highlighted the green wire in.....wait for it......GREEN (creative, huh?)

It sorta shows this wire in what looks like a round flat connector with a hole in it so it must screw onto something.

I spent the day riding and didn't take off the side panel to have a look in the real world.

If this doesn't help, I'll yank the side panel tomorrow and try to have a real photo for you. Lemme know.

I tried for hi-res so you may be able to download the image and enlarge it.

The "box" it goes to is labeled "Thermo-switch" it had a blak/blue wire that leads to the fan motor. Following this wire from the fan motor should lead you to the Thermo-switch" and hopefully you'll find one empty connection there.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #5680
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Loose wire

IN addition to what Ray said: according to the Haynes, it's probabily the ground wire. They're green. Here's the color version.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #5681
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,430
Yes it is...http://www.carsandplates.com/

Also... http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

Look under Moldova...I tried yesterday, but didn't checked the MD abbreviation....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #5682
urchindog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
loose wire

thanks you guys.....its definatly a ground. I ran my test light from battery positive to it and it lites up .... when someone has the oppertunity to take a look where I should reconnect this that would be great...its not very long coming out of the harness end so its probably the fan housing (guessing)

much appreciated

Bryan

ya know I only rode this bike for a week before I tore it apart but never heard the fan come on ..... do they run very often?
urchindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #5683
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert

It was on the TA that I bought. Its in the US now.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #5684
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Does anyone know if the dual headlight cowling from an Africa Twin can be placed on a TA using the TA stock side cowlings? I do not own a TA yet but I am working on it. I have an NX 250 and want to stay in the family for a larger touring dual sport bike.

CHEERS!
racingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #5685
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,820
Bryan,
Yes, the fan does come on. When it does it feels like it should have come on a lot earlier. It will do its job when needed - make sure it works.

It's 26 degrees and snowing sideways right now or I'd try to get a picture. I'm sure one of the guys from the warmer & nicer parts of the world can post a picture. Too cold to ride and not yet enough snow for good skiing......nothing to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchindog
thanks you guys.....its definatly a ground. I ran my test light from battery positive to it and it lites up .... when someone has the oppertunity to take a look where I should reconnect this that would be great...its not very long coming out of the harness end so its probably the fan housing (guessing)

much appreciated

Bryan

ya know I only rode this bike for a week before I tore it apart but never heard the fan come on ..... do they run very often?

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote