Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #6511
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
As far as I have seen, RD03 and RD04 fenders fits TA. Just they are different in places where fork boot cover plastics are joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear60man
This might be a Ladder or Jeff question but....How difficult would it be to hook up a AT front fender. I already have the fork fairings.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #6512
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Wink Long travel shock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo
Need help on measuring stock TA front end height.

I'm going to be putting on an XR650R front end on my stock rear end transalp. So until I get a longer shock I want the XRR forks to be at the same height as what the stock TA is. My problem is I already disassembled my TA stock front end.

So I hope somebody would be willing to give me a static measurement of their front end. I was thinking the most uniform way would be to measure the bike unladen, on a flat surface being balanced in an upright position with a measurement from the bottom of the front headstock portion of the frame to the ground directly below that straight up and down.

I figure that will get me close enough to set the XRR forks the same height. If you have a better idea please chime in.

Hey Michealangelo.... FYI I had Cogent Dynamics ( www.motocd.com ) build my "Moab TA" long travel shock( 10.5 in). Might be the answer you are lookin for...Just sayin'
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #6513
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I am changing the rear sprocket on the TA. The service manual says to oil the threads of the sprocket bolts before installing. I thought you were supposed to use thread-locker ? Whats the best thing to do ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #6514
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,657
I would use oil. That way you can get them off next time without stripping the nut and the allen head of the bolt trying to get them off!!

Don't worry about locktite, your nuts are locking type and will keep them on plenty tight.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #6515
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I was able to get every nut off , except for one. I think thats pretty good considering that they were on there for 20 years. I ended up having to take a grinder and grinding the head off of the bolt to get it off of there.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #6516
Michelangelo

Yeah I had to do the same on my bolt, had been there from the oem days.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #6517
Lear60man
Sleeping

Oddometer: 720
Thanks guys. I figure they would work as Ive seen to get everything else from a AT on this beast. Im off to Japan again for a month but when I get back ill give a shout out to ride.
Lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #6518
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
I never use any thread-locker and grease all bolts before assembly. No ever any problems faced. At least on TA and nx250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I am changing the rear sprocket on the TA. The service manual says to oil the threads of the sprocket bolts before installing. I thought you were supposed to use thread-locker ? Whats the best thing to do ?
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #6519
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Over the Bars!

Quote:
I'll be using a mx fender so clearance is not an issue.
WRONG!

Clearance IS an issue....well it's not if you don't mind going flying without benefit of wings.

You can't put in a fork with 12 inches of travel and then lower the tubes so you have only 7 inches (about what the stock TA has) of clearance. You will bottom the tire against the fender - low mount, high mount - makes no difference.

You will also bottom it at the very time you need your suspension, near the top of the travel after you've hit a large rock, curb, dog or have overestimated the speed that you can do through a large desert wash. If the front tire stops suddenly at that particular time, you will get launched.

Move the tubes up at your own risk and enjoy your flight.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #6520
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
It's been nearly six months since the TA Mods thread founder, Modrover, has been active on ADVrider. I know he was battling a very serious health problem - does anyone know anything?

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #6521
Michelangelo

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know exactly how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
WRONG!

Clearance IS an issue....well it's not if you don't mind going flying without benefit of wings.

You can't put in a fork with 12 inches of travel and then lower the tubes so you have only 7 inches (about what the stock TA has) of clearance. You will bottom the tire against the fender - low mount, high mount - makes no difference.

You will also bottom it at the very time you need your suspension, near the top of the travel after you've hit a large rock, curb, dog or have overestimated the speed that you can do through a large desert wash. If the front tire stops suddenly at that particular time, you will get launched.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #6522
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
.....in that case.....

The stock Transalp fork is 845mm from the top of the tube to the center of the front axle.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #6523
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
I saw it comming...or should I say flying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
WRONG!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #6524
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Was it Da Vinci or Michelango that so liked things that fly?

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #6525
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
RDo4 Tank

Testing the water.......anyone got a line on a nice RD04 tank in the U.S.? I am getting ready to start my "beast" conversion