User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #6691
gummycarbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Doh! (AT swingarm)

After replacing the two 6002 bearings, cleaning and lubricating the needle bearings, and making a half-assed Delrin chain slider, I was finally ready to mount the Africa Twin swingarm.

Oops. I've got something like 1/4" of space on the left side where the swingarm meets the frame. Looks like I'm missing a spacer.

It's part number 52105-KM4-000, "COLLAR B, RR. FORK PIVOT" which is #7 in this image:

Luckily, this same part appears as a right-hand spacer on the NT650.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone runs into the same situation.
gummycarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #6692
ivanp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDave
Here's another option for use for storing tools, chain lube, hand grenades, etc. - also, MSR 33oz fuel bottles fit in them perfectly for stove fuel or emergency bike fuel on long trips. The yellow instruction stuff comes right off with a little spritz of Brake/Carb cleaner or Acetone.

Agri Supply Operator's Manual Canister - $4.99

More Info with mounting ideas and pics

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351936

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25471

Hi,
Any idea how I can have this in Europe please? Any idea?

Thanks,
Paul
ivanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #6693
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
What swingarm you have? In case of RD07 arm you will have to shorten this part- it is too long to fit in TA frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummycarbs
After replacing the two 6002 bearings, cleaning and lubricating the needle bearings, and making a half-assed Delrin chain slider, I was finally ready to mount the Africa Twin swingarm.

Oops. I've got something like 1/4" of space on the left side where the swingarm meets the frame. Looks like I'm missing a spacer.

It's part number 52105-KM4-000, "COLLAR B, RR. FORK PIVOT" which is #7 in this image:

Luckily, this same part appears as a right-hand spacer on the NT650.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone runs into the same situation.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #6694
gummycarbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv
What swingarm you have? In case of RD07 arm you will have to shorten this part- it is too long to fit in TA frame.
I'm pretty sure I have an RD04 swingarm.

Incidentally, I just noticed on the microfiche that the RD03 swingarm has the Pro-Link sticker and grease nipples on the top.
gummycarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #6695
ravelv

Then yes, you just need that part.
RD03 arm in front is 100% same as TA one- even those black sealins are 100% same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummycarbs
I'm pretty sure I have an RD04 swingarm.

Incidentally, I just noticed on the microfiche that the RD03 swingarm has the Pro-Link sticker and grease nipples on the top.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #6696
ravelv

RF600 wheel

First wheel for TA SuMo project arrived... It's from Suzuki RF600. 4.5 wide r17. Axle D=20mm, same as TA. So, no need to look for special bearings. 4.5 seems maximum which more or less easy fits. Still with 150 tire distance between stock chainguard and tire is 4-5mm.
Attached Images

ravelv screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 03:14 AM
Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #6697
ravelv

Quick mesurements showed that to keep wheel in center, on brake rotor side 10mm has to be removed. Stock thread lenght for rotor bolts is 25 mm and plus 10mm deep bolt side support part. I think that 10mm less thread part is ok, just in case also nuts can be bolted on from internal side of "hub".
I will use stock RF600 brake rotor which also is 240mm. But with 5 bolts. Bolt pattern diameter is 110mm. Rotor's internal diameter is 89mm.
These rotors are used between many Suzuki's, there is choice to use 5 or 6mm thick ones.
Attached Images

ravelv screwed with this post 03-14-2009 at 06:11 PM
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #6698
ravelv

On cush drive side just 5mm needed for sprocket to be more to center direction of wheel. Plus 5-6mm for sprocket adapter (I want to use stock TA sprocket), so, 10-11mm in total.
And bearing also needs to be moved to same direction, this can be done very easy, there is left enough space right for my needs- a bit work in lathe. And same amount off from spacer as well.

NOTE. All measurings are done quick and may not be precise yeat. When done, all drawings will be here with final sizes.
Attached Images

ravelv screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 01:01 AM
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #6699
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa
Looks like you found what you needed.
I have had racks and hard bags for many years and although great for long trips they were always somewhat of a liability in rough off road situations.
I like the simplicity of soft luggage, especially for off road travel.

The bag fits the TA like it was made just for it. You can see the little part I made to ensure that the bag would not touch the silencer. I think it would be fine with a stock TA exhaust.
I did not get the expedition model as waterproof bags seem to hold moisture in just as well as keeping it out.

Typically I carry all the heavy stuff up front in the tank panniers so I barely notice the bag back there.
I've been mulling over what to do about luggage for a while. I've got some el cheapo soft panniers and the bike had some small, quite nicely made supports. They did the job, but not that well, there was always a bit of stuffing about to get everything tied on. Had pretty much made the decision to order some Happy Trails racks and a set of Andy Strapz panniers. However these Wolfman (men??) bags seem to provide an excellent solution, at less than half the cost and without the need to bolt large chunks of ironmongery onto the bike.

I'd heard the wolfman name mentioned in stuff over here, but had never really looked into it until I saw your pix. So thanks for posting them.

Mike

PS.. I'd send you my brake rod, but haven't done the disc thing yet. Which reminds me.. did Menasco Pirate get his issues sorted with the import of bits from Italian ebay dealer?

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #6700
NorCalTA
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanp
Hi,
Any idea how I can have this in Europe please? Any idea?

Thanks,
Paul
A guy over on the UKGSer.com site was selling some awhile back but not sure if he still is or not. I'm going to order a couple for myself - I guess I could order for you too and ship them to you but have no idea what shipping or customs fees would be

NorCalTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #6701
ravelv

In my country (in EU also) if item+shipping price is bellow $50, no customs apply. I wouln't mind also get this tube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDave
A guy over on the UKGSer.com site was selling some awhile back but not sure if he still is or not. I'm going to order a couple for myself - I guess I could order for you too and ship them to you but have no idea what shipping or customs fees would be
Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #6702
NorCalTA
Roaming ADV Gnome

Instability at Speed

In the last few thousand miles, I've been noticing some instability at speed or while cornering that has me worried. By instability, I mean like if I'm on the freeway doing 75 and I make a little swerve to avoid a bad spot in the road, the bike shows signs of wanting to enter into a wobble/oscillation - the same will happen in a corner if I have to make a line adjustment.

The things that come to mind for me with what little mechanical knowledge I have are worn steering head bearings, swing arm bearings, and rear shock linkage bearings. With nearly 40k on her, would it be prudent to go nuts and just replace all the above? Besides needle bearings, do the "collars" that are shown in the parts fiches wear and need replacing too or should they be ok? What about the dust seals?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #6703
NorCalTA
Roaming ADV Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv
In my country (in EU also) if item+shipping price is bellow $50, no customs apply. I wouln't mind also get this tube!
I posted a query on the UKgser thread asking the guy if he was going to get any more to sell over there. I'd be willing to look into getting some for you if all else fails.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #6704
DaveM
Rider

Oddometer: 50
[quote=NorCalDave]In the last few thousand miles, I've been noticing some instability at speed or while cornering that has me worried. By instability, I mean like if I'm on the freeway doing 75 and I make a little swerve to avoid a bad spot in the road, the bike shows signs of wanting to enter into a wobble/oscillation - the same will happen in a corner if I have to make a line adjustment.

Hi

I had the same problem on one of mine (I have 3) ended up the rear spring started to sack out some and the rear ride height droped some. The TA's seem to be sensitive to rear ride height to keep enough weight on the front. The rake and trail specs. are much less aggressive than the current bikes and seems to need to keep the weight forward for stability.

First thing I would do is add some preload in the rear before spending money needlessly.

Dave
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #6705
NorCalTA
Roaming ADV Gnome

Thanks Dave

I forgot to mention that I'm still running on the old, tired, stock shock and that the preload is pretty much set at maximum. I set it there before I took off on my trip through the Pacific Northwest last summer because of all the weight I was carrying. Never noticed the instability then - just seems to have become noticeable in the last few thousand miles