User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #6706
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
check this out

Look, I know this doesn't go here but I spotted this on craigslist and knew one of you guys would want to jump on this.
http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/1075931116.html
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #6707
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpoley
Look, I know this doesn't go here but I spotted this on craigslist and knew one of you guys would want to jump on this.
http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/1075931116.html
Thanks Scott!

That's my fathers bike and I'm the one that posted the ad. I'm going to post it here on ADV tomorrow, just wanted to give the local crowd a chance, all I got was low ballers and tire kickers so far. Here's a link to pictures:

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...da%20Transalp/
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #6708
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
NorCal Dave,

DaveM is correct. You probably need more rear ride height.

Check your rear sag. Measure from some fixed point to the ground while lifting up the rear so the shock is at the top of its travel. Then repeat the measurement from the same point to the ground with you one the bike. (You'll need a helper).

The TA has about 7 in of rear travel and I'm betting you're using about 3 in. or maybe more with you on the bike. My TA (when it was stock) liked just less than 1 1/2 in.

I'm betting this will solve your problem. If the stock spring is sacked, you can build a fairly cheap spacer from many different materials. Make the spacer about 1 in. thick and dial up preload from there.

As an alternate, you can drop the triple clamps on the fork tubes a bit being careful that you don't smack the rear fender on the crashbars or bottom clamp at full compression.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #6709
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Thanks Ray

The easy solution to the problem is a Cogent Dynamics Moab shock but have to sell my boat first

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #6710
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer
Thanks Scott!

That's my fathers bike and I'm the one that posted the ad. I'm going to post it here on ADV tomorrow, just wanted to give the local crowd a chance, all I got was low ballers and tire kickers so far. Here's a link to pictures:

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...da%20Transalp/
Fuck the low ballers and tire kickers - with only 3700 miles that bike is worth all what you're asking and more. If you're not in a hurry to sell it, I'd wait for the buyer that deserves that fine TA.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #6711
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Check post #840 on this thread for my temporary solution to sacked stock spring......cheap but it worked.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #6712
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
NorCalDave:

I believe you already checked, but you may take a look at the obvious first. Does that happened when returning from your loooong trip? Have you added weight or carried more stuff going back home? Is the tire pressure correct? Are the tires worn? If no is the answer to all, then the rear shock needs attention.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #6713
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Thanks Carlos

Tire pressures are good and tires have lots of tread - I guess there might be a tiny possibility that my combo of a Shinko 244 rear and a IRC GP-1 front tire might not be liking each other and be causing the problem but a sacked-out rear shock sounds more likely.

Ray - that penney-tech shock spacer mod sounds like it just might do the job until I can afford the Moab shock.

God - the wealth of information in this thread and the willingness of you guys to help out never ceases to amaze me

WeeBee screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 10:08 PM
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #6714
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

GSXR Can Anyone?

Anyone interested in doing the 2001-2002 Suzuki GSXR exhaust can mod to their TA? I just picked one up yesterday to do my bike then got a PM from an ADVrider who has another one available for $25 + shipping from Michigan. The 01-02 GSXR 600 cans weigh a hair over 6lbs whereas our stock boat anchors weigh at least 13lbs - overall length is 19.5 inches. Besides the weight loss, you'll get a little more growl out of your TA too without paying $400+ for a Remus or similar aftermarket can.

One downside is you'll need to install a Forest Service approved spark arrestor if you intend to ride legally on USFS lands. The FMF #040298 Titanium Powercore arrestor fits the 01-02 GSXR cans perfectly but is a little pricy at around $38 - some other brand might work but the FMF #040298 definately does.

If I'm not mistaken, here's a pic of a TA with a GSXR can installed

And Jim Rowley's AT with a GSXR can

The 01 GSXR 600 Can that's available - looks like it's in damn near flawless condition so someone should jump on it quick for $25 + shipping!
PM me for contact info if interested

Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #6715
tombaisley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I parked my stock Transalp in the garage in December , and this is how it came out in the spring !

Major mods include

XR250R forks
RSW racing XR650L fork brace (yes it fits the 250 forks perfect)
Aluminum Skid plate
Rear shock spacer
ken sean dual sport mirrors
Givi Wingracks

I would really like to put the Cogent Dynamics long travel shock that i just heard about on it, but its gonna have to wait, already spent enough money for this winters work !

oh , and anybody want a K&N filter ? PM me

Can I park my bike in your garage for awhile?
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #6716
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Maybe steering head bearings came loose and must be a bit tightened? If I remeber right, when wheel off he ground, 1.2-2kg's force must be able to start move all when connected to center of one of the fork's top.

Stock shock's preload till maximum does not help- this old stock spring is too weak anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDave
Thanks Dave

I forgot to mention that I'm still running on the old, tired, stock shock and that the preload is pretty much set at maximum. I set it there before I took off on my trip through the Pacific Northwest last summer because of all the weight I was carrying. Never noticed the instability then - just seems to have become noticeable in the last few thousand miles
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #6717
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
What Jim is referring to is this:

I got it from another inmate here first part of the month....BEFORE (thank God) I had to pay for the sewer pipe.

It's really nice and I've been trying not to act like a new father and spash photos everywhere. I missed buying one about 5 years ago and they seem more rare than ATs around here. When this one came up I just said "Yes" and it all worked out very well. The Peoples Commissar of the DMV even granted it a California plate.
Haven't been checking up on this thread lately, so I just caught this. I LOVE DR BIGS!!!!! There are two floating around here in my neck of the woods, and I've been waiting for years for one to go up for sale. Neither one of them is as clean as your new ride, though. Very lucky find!

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #6718
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
[QUOTE=NorCalDave]
If I'm not mistaken, here's a pic of a TA with a GSXR can installed

That's mine and the silencer is from a 05 GSXR 750.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #6719
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
2 questions:

1.Whats involved with fitting the GSXR exhaust? I want it to be quite. I have a clapped out Supertrapp with 4 discs and its too loud.

2. I want to do the 18" rear wheel mod. What rims and spokes will work?
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #6720
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe
Whats involved with fitting the GSXR exhaust? I want it to be quite. I have a clapped out Supertrapp with 4 discs and its too loud.
First, you'll need an exhaust flange like the one pictured below. I might be able to get you one from a guy over on the ThumperTalk forum - will PM you when I know.

The flange will need to be welded to the new connector pipe you will need to have fabbed to connect your stock exhaust header where it terminates to the GSXR can. The new connector pipe configuration will depend on how you want to mount the new can - you can see two mounting examples in my post above. Jim Rowley used some thinner-walled SS 15 degree angles to do his Africa Twin - Jeff had a Muffler shop make his up out of SS tubing too.

I had the link to the place Jim got his stuff from but can't seem to find it now. Anyway, a good muffler shop will probably be able to fab the pipe for you and weld the flange unless you already possess the skills to DIY. The pipe will need to be expanded on the end where it will connect to the stock header pipe so it can slip over - Jim used some type of heavy clamp that he said could be found at good motorcycle parts stores.

I'm leaning towards mounting mine horizontally in about the same location as the stock muffler but haven't tried fitting it yet so am unsure if that'll work as to clearance issues. The way the can is mounted on Jeff's old TA in the pic above looks good and makes it easier putting the connector pipe together as the angle where the pipe connects to the can would not be as severe vs my horizontal mounting idea. The possibility exists that the stock hanger mount on the GSXR can may need to be modified or extended to be able to hang the can where preferred but it's just aluminum so shouldn't be a big deal for a good welder.

WeeBee screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 01:42 PM