Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #6751
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Hmm, here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=80 Michelangelo stated that distance is ~99mm

And some other seller just replayed that VT500C hole distance is 101mm. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Ravelv,
The center-to-center measurement for my US model 1990 (PD06) fork leg is 104mm. The thickness of the cast mounts is 24mm.

My fork legs are not on the bike so any measurement you need is easy. I'll be happy to help.

ravelv screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 02:42 PM
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #6752
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
GSXR Can Mounted - Take Two

Ok - I fabbed up a new hanger bracket out of 1/8"x1.5" mild steel to step the GSXR can out to gain another inch of clearance away from my tire.

To gain the extra clearance, I needed to move the can to the rear about 5 inches to allow it to then move outward and avoid conflict with my Happy-Trails rack. I hung the new bracket from an existing hole on the stock Transalp tail rack frame - it appears to be a stronger area of the rack so I hope it will support the 6 1/4lbs of the new can ok. I'm thinking of adding another bracket to hold/support the new connector pipe once it's installed at the point where the stock exhaust is supported on the rear passenger foot peg mount.

I also had to grind about 1/8 of an inch off the head of the bolt holding the new bracket as the H-T rack was hitting there and not wanting to seat.

I now have 2 inches of clearance from the tire to the new can and also about 2 inches from my right side Pelican 1550 while still maintaining a pretty straight shot from the header pipe to the muffler inlet.

Ray had suggested that I maybe should consider modifying my R/S H-T rack to bring it in closer but as you can see in the pic below, there's only about 3/4 of an inch clearance existing currently between the rack/pannier hoop and the TA's side panel so the benefit of bringing it in any closer would be fairly pointless.

WeeBee screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 08:43 PM
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #6753
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Old mounting location

Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #6754
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

New mounting location

Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #6755
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Error correction

Quote:
Michelangelo stated that distance is ~99mm

And some other seller just replayed that VT500C hole distance is 101mm. Huh.

That's because I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes.

I measured 92mm between the closest edges of the bolt holes and 108mm between the farthest edges.

This gives center-to-center of 100mm (more consistent to what other guys got probably by "eyballing" center to center) ........They are 8mm holes but there are two of them. In my first measurement I only allowed for ONE hole so 108-4mm=104. But is should be 108-4mm(2)=100mm.

So the real official measurement is 100mm. Apologies for the confusion

Ray
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #6756
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Can

Dave:

I nailed an GSXR can on eBay, so it will be arriving next week. Never got a response on shipping from the other seller, so I desided to move on. Yours is looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDave
New mounting location

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #6757
ravelv

So, this means that VT500 brake caliper with bracket fits- average of all measurments I'm getting from sellers also is 100mm.

Quote:
That's because I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes.

I measured 92mm between the closest edges of the bolt holes and 108mm between the farthest edges.

This gives center-to-center of 100mm (more consistent to what other guys got probably by "eyballing" center to center) ........They are 8mm holes but there are two of them. In my first measurement I only allowed for ONE hole so 108-4mm=104. But is should be 108-4mm(2)=100mm.

So the real official measurement is 100mm. Apologies for the confusion

Ray
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #6758
ravelv

RD03 swingarm and other parts

In case somebody interested:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=370176231833

All what's needed for TA upgrade. :)
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #6759
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
So, this means that VT500 brake caliper with bracket fits- average of all measurments I'm getting from sellers also is 100mm.
It should fit. From your photos, it looks like it will fit.

But the problem now is finding a brake disc that will fit the TA wheelhub, correct??
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #6760
ravelv

With TA wheelhub are 296 and 318mm disks from other hondas available (I'm now putting together crossreference list, will post it here). Looks like 296mm will fit- VT500C have 296mm disc, but with 5 holes, some others have 296mm with same 6 hole pattern as TA.
Not much, but you don't need any newly fabricated parts either, so, this can be option for us in Europe where is not so easy legalize 3rd party made parts. And brake pads are same, so, no difference later when changing consumables.

VT500C fork cast mounts looks both same height(not like on TA), but this might be due to different location against wheel axle (upper you move, upper mount needs to be shorter) and forks are 37mm. As I said, calipers angle against line throught brackets bolt holes are same on both, just VT500C caliper is more away.

But this is not my way as my stock left side fork is different, if somebody here can verify this, it would be nice. I just did homework part.

Looks like that same can be done also with newer TA (1991-1996), but I have to get some more measurments for potentially useable parts from other honda's. Also have to remove caliper from mine to get precise measurment... Will publish results when done only.

Quote:
It should fit. From your photos, it looks like it will fit.

But the problem now is finding a brake disc that will fit the TA wheelhub, correct??

ravelv screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 02:17 PM
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #6761
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I think you should change your screen name to

"Master of Interchangability"

or maybe

"Cross-reference man"

I understand your problems are different from ours and I'm humbled by your persistence in making useful intelligent modifications in the face of all those restrictions
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #6762
Lear60man
Sleeping

Oddometer: 720
Nice bracket Dave. Ok guys got a question about mixture settings. 89 TA with aftermarket Yoshi stubby pipe. Basicly sea level altitude. I just rechecked the airbox rubber seats and its tight with no air leaks, sprayed carb cleaner to double check. Ever since I bought it has always idled a little rough and backfired. Smaller pops at idle and larger ones when I rev it. Today I put in a new air filter, gained access to the carb mixture screws and cleaned out the left idle cable where it goes into the carb. There was a little rust and perhapse some fuel. If i use the mixture setting according to the manual (full lean then back out mixture screw 2.25 turns) it runs as described as above. If I crack the choke a little it runs smother and the backfires subside. Problem solved but in a ghetto way. So now I have the choke closed and the mixture screws back out to 4 full turns. It idles better and backfires also go away. Am I going to burn up my engine with the mixture screws set at 4 turns out? (thats the main question BTW)
Christian
Lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #6763
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear60man
If i use the mixture setting according to the manual (full lean then back out mixture screw 2.25 turns) it runs as described as above. If I crack the choke a little it runs smother and the backfires subside. Problem solved but in a ghetto way. So now I have the choke closed and the mixture screws back out to 4 full turns. It idles better and backfires also go away. Am I going to burn up my engine with the mixture screws set at 4 turns out? (thats the main question BTW)
Christian
There is a point when the mixture screws no longer make any difference, I suspect the out 4 turns is well beyond the taper of the point of thes screw.

My suggestion is to go one size up on the pilot jets from 38 to 40. And readjust the mixture screws. Most bikes do not need a 42 pilot.

I have expressed this "fix" to stock TAs and believe it is one of the best mod's ever it just takes care of all the lean conditions below 3500 rpm. The fact your symptoms decrease by adding choke (enrichment) confirms you are a little lean. The stock TA is lean from day one.

Pilot jet increase will not effect mileage, cold start is improved almost no "choke", cold drive away smooth, off idle stumble GONE, 3000 steady rpm surge GONE, pop on decel GONE.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #6764
Lear60man
Sleeping

Oddometer: 720
Thanks Showkey.
Lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #6765
Pascal_BE
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi

I'm looking to buy a Transalp, but have a question.
Is it possible to put the headlights of an African Twin on a Transalp?

Or are there other possibilities to get those dual headlights on a transalp?

Thanks,
Pascal
Pascal_BE is offline   Reply With Quote