Dave
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #6857
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMead11
I have spent the last couple weeks looking through this thread and have now joined the Transalp club....I bought a 1998 XLV600 this week. I found it on the internet in Germany, and sent some money to a friend to go get it for me. Now it sits in his basement waiting for me to come ride it, and I have already started buying stuff for it....some used givi luggage on ebay...123 euros for three pieces...now just need the mounts.
Anyway, cannot wait to try it out when I get there on the 27 of May, and I will finally get to enjoy one. Really looking forward to it. I'll have three weeks alone with this new ride....

Km's not miles...

I am going to leave her at a friends house in Germany and keep her their for fly and rides. No more worrying about transportation over there. It is killing me that I have this new Transalp and can't take her for a spin yet, but my friend assures me she is sweet. It would be great to eventually bring it home, but I doubt they would let me me keep her in the USA long.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #6858
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Once it's legally imported, getting it registered isn't all that difficult. My DR750 was a military import and I've even got it registered in California of all places. That's why I was recommending making a deal with a demobing military guy in Germany.

I know of one other new TA (model newer than yours) that was just registered in Arizona. PM "OHooligan"

Jerry, you reading this, you can offer some advice.

Well.....even if you don't bring it over, we can at least look forward to some nice ride report photos.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #6859
sandplow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I know, I know

I guess I am what you might call a fair weather rider! I Do seem to have been in hibernation for a while, it is amazing what a little sun can do! Lunch sounds great , If your coming this way, give me a little warning and I will dust of my old pig and we can go for a spin. Since our taste in bikes seem to be in alignment you might be interested in seeing the pristine 81 yammy sr500 that I just picked up. It really looks like it should be in a museum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Oh suuuuuure....

No posts for months.....and then you NEED something.

OK...I have one, well, I have 2. It'll give me a reason to ride to Santa Rosa. You buy lunch (as long as you still have clients that want you to make sawdust for 'em)
sandplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #6860
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Sandplow,

Check your PMs for a photo of my new ride. I think you'll approve. I love SRs. Had an SRX for a while.....too small for my body.

Also, when do you need the swingarm part. I'm working for the next 48 hrs starting tomorrow am.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 11:53 PM
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #6861
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Once it's legally imported, getting it registered isn't all that difficult. My DR750 was a military import and I've even got it registered in California of all places. That's why I was recommending making a deal with a demobing military guy in Germany.

I know of one other new TA (model newer than yours) that was just registered in Arizona. PM "OHooligan"

Jerry, you reading this, you can offer some advice.

Well.....even if you don't bring it over, we can at least look forward to some nice ride report photos.
Well, got plenty of bikes here really, so the plan is to leave it in Germany or France and then just use it as often as possible over there. I think it would be very cool to bring it home eventually, but for now, it will be for Europe, and we have been talking about taking it into western Asia....lets see where she ends up taking me......and yes, there will be great ride reports, like this one....my latest....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405758

but this time on the TransAlp. I am really looking forward to it.

We got these bags on ebay today...now just need the mounts and I will have more than enough luggage space....

Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #6862
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

The Givi's are great bags. The only part I don't feel comfortable with is the two little screws that the bag slides over on the bottom. On a rough road, I worry about breakage....although that hasn't happened yet. But I usually don't put stuff that's too heavy in the bags. I load that on the passenger seat area.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #6863
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

We'll have to see how they go. I'll probably be pretty gentle on it the first couple of trips anyway. I have Jesse's on my GS, but don't think I want to get too carried away financially on this one....already blew 2150 Euros buying the bike, 123 for the bags, still will need the mounts for the bags and a new front tire.....so hopefully the Givi's will be sufficient for a while.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #6864
sandplow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
new ride

Hey rey, I think you need to post a pic of that machine on this thread. If anyone can appreciate essotera it would be this bunch. Yeah the sr is a little small for my 220 pounds but it is a kick in the pants to wheeel around town. No rush on the swing arm part I can scavenge it off the eviltwin project that I sold to a buddy. I just wanted to replace it for him. Hey you might know him He is the firefighter in SF (lars aspalin).

Quote:
Sandplow,

Check your PMs for a photo of my new ride. I think you'll approve. I love SRs. Had an SRX for a while.....too small for my body.

Also, when do you need the swingarm part. I'm working for the next 48 hrs starting tomorrow am.
sandplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #6865
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,636
Thanks DAVE for the link to the exhaust deflector. My turn signals are smaller and mounted on my cut down plastic rear inner fender so I can't reposition them.

Is the Transalp really a 4 incher? I measured it and it was a little bit over 4 inches in diamter.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #6866
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,636
I'm getting some "TRANSALP" logos made up for my newly painted fairing. Can someone please measure the dimension of this on their Moonstone painted US model so I can get my vinyl guy the correct dimensions please?
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #6867
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Even though late ....

Mike (or マイク in Japanese - special service!!! ),

I didn't even know about your health problems, you never mentioned anything at all! Anyway, hope that all is well and remember, you are still (and always will be) invited to stop over here in the "land-of-the-not-always-rising-sun"!!

Looking forward to hearing from you again, stay in touch and CU out there on the road somewhere, some day

Klaus
http://virtulanguage.com

PS: I think I never posted a pic of my old TA here, so let me give it a try now:

klausdorth screwed with this post 04-06-2009 at 10:33 PM
klausdorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #6868
badbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
SS Brake Hose Routing

Hi Guys,

Just fitting up a Hel SS front brake hose to my 87 Transalp.

My question to those that have fitted a SS brake line is do you mount it tight at the existing bottom mount near the caliper and also mount it tight up near the bottom triple clamp, so when the suspension compresses and rebounds the brake line would act the same as the original.

Or do you mount it solid at the existing bottom mount near the caliper then have guides like a motocrosser to allow the brake line to slide up and down as the suspension compresses and rebounds.

Cheers
badbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #6869
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
Or do you mount it solid at the existing bottom mount near the caliper then have guides like a motocrosser to allow the brake line to slide up and down as the suspension compresses and rebounds.
I like this option best. But since these lines are all a bit different, make sure that it doesn't get in the way of your instruments before finalizing the mounting. You can get the nylon lines routing rings that mount to the triple clamp from almost any dirt bike.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #6870
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432
GSXR can

Got my can!

Yesterday I visited a warehouse to buy some honeydo's for this weekend and bought a (among other stuff)handgrab made out of stainless steel. It happens to be about the same size of the TA exhaust...hummmm and is nicely polished....

I think I'll postpone the handgrab mounting and take it to the muffler shop... . But first need to find a flange locally . If not I'll buy a new one from kientech.com

I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote