User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #7441
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
panniers

i truly don't understand why more folks don't go with the ammo can panniers; cheap, indestructible, and they look cool!
From two-up to toroweap
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #7442
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
here's a 3/4 view from when i did the install using the happy trails mounting brackets.
From panniers
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #7443
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432
I bought the 1440 toploader and they will go into my bike later this year....

For the top case, I bought this...Pelican 1450

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #7444
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamAlp
i truly don't understand why more folks don't go with the ammo can panniers; cheap, indestructible, and they look cool!

I thought briefly about steel ammo cans but decided to go with Pelican 1550's instead - they weigh about 1/2 as much as ammo cans, can't be dented, crushed, or deformed and don't rust, plus they come with a nearly unconditional lifetime warranty.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #7445
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

LED bulbs on signals

I repladed all the signal bulbs to multi-leds. Changed the original flasher for a 2 pin flasher advertised for LED's and then, the four of them flashes at the same time.

Replaced two of the original bulbs back and it works fine....What am I doing wrong? I read about resistance, but thought that these electronic flashers would solve the problem...

Please advise!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 06-26-2009 at 08:35 PM
Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #7446
Squirrels
SoloSquirrel

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamAlp
From two-up to toroweap
Been there done that. Just too heavy. I never packed light to begin with. The last setup I installed with ammo can panniers weighed in at 60 lbs! But you're absolutely right. They looks just too cool!

Photobucket

The black GPZ was my creation I sold, but see around town from time to time. Pretty easy to ID. The K100 is my new adventure tourer.

"Real life is a vague memory we are day forgetin, mile eatin, heart breakin, scenery seein, bug eatin drifters fo sho now." - vermin
Squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #7447
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,401
The only thing I dont like about hard luggage is the weight of it all.
Usually I run soft bags as many of my trips are off road and lighter is better.
Soft bags survive low speed falls a lot better too.

This trip will be different. A lot of road miles and a lot of times when I am going to park the bike and hike so I needed the security that hard bags offer.
I'm hoping to come in at about 30 lbs for the bags and rack.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #7448
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,881

I think Samsonite looks good on the TA. It is extremely light and very tough. I had to lay the bike down and pivot it on the luggage to get pointed downhill.

I clipped a stump once and put a dent in one corner. Numerous low speed crashes have left a patina on the luggage and the bike. One high speed get off, with a high side, that did crack one inner contact point.

They are not water or dust proof. They are 6 inches thick and keep a narrow profile on the bike.

Lots of colors and sizes. I even saw hot pink. At St Vincent DePaul...$1.50 each.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #7449
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Darned......

.... those Samsonites seem to be a great alternative to all that expensive stuff out there, execpt for the "non-waterproof-aspect"! And they DO look cool!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #7450
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Hiya Fellas,

I've been on a "forced break" hanging out in Gualala, Ca after a kamakazi honey bee decided to nail me in the corner of my left eye swelling it shut.

......ever try riding with only one eye and no depth perception? Very scary.

So I'm at a little internet cafe drinking coffee, watching the surf, birds and otters and catching up on you lot while the swelling decreases. First I tried Benadryl and that helped the swelling some but I slept for 18 hours and felt like crap afterward. Guess I'll just wait this one out.

So, to catch up:

Glen, Where are you headed? The carrier bearing was maybe another sort of warning sign??? Maybe consier replacing the other rear bearings (the fronts are still pretty new, right) before the trip with all that extra horsepower.....and weight.

Squirrels, Hiya.....happy to see someone with the courage to rip into the TA engine lump. Looks pretty good inside and give us higher mileage guys hope for a bit more riding before the "great teardown". Please continue to post your rebuild here, even if you decide to put it into a thread of it's own (not a bad idea at all). I know many here will follow it with great interest.

Potski, Nice trip, the photo of the two TAs together is awesome! What brand of soft bags are you using? I like the look of them alot.

I'm hoping I can see well enough that I can get up to the Oregon coast before I run out of time......more later
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #7451
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,401
Ray, sorry to hear about the sting.
Hopefully you will be under way soon.

I'm going to Colorado and making a great loop of the trip.
I think it will be more like 3K not 5K now as I may not have as much time as I originally thought.

I'm running a newish wheel in the rear.I was only running the old carrier as I was too lazy to swap the sprocket over.

I may do the bearings now that you mention it. Just in case...
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #7452
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 466
[quote=Ladder106]Hiya Fellas,

Potski, Nice trip, the photo of the two TAs together is awesome! What brand of soft bags are you using? I like the look of them alot.

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear about the kamikazi bee situation... hell we've all dodged a few!!

Anyway, the panniers are Givi T421's voyagers, can't recommend highly enough, brilliant! I use them with a Givi hard luggage rack and a few support mods so no exhaust or droop problems on my 600. I have fitted the cross straps under the seat so they are sort of semi-permanent.

You can see close up photos on my flickr on Transalp Mods at http://www.flickr.com/photos/potski-photos/ any questions or whatever just ask.

Actually when I got home I realised one mod I should have made was a bash plate, stronger than the plastic thing Honda supply it with... as after an encounter with a big rock a piece of the engine casing disappeared and is still up high in the Pyrenees. New bash plate is now fitted after the incident! The other Transalp didn't escape unscathed either after a bit of a tumble!

Cheers

Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #7453
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,636
Generic sidecase mounts?

Where can I find generic sidecase mounts? I'm looking for something cheap or rather less expensive than a custom Givi setup. Want to be able to mount my own generic sidecases, so a flat mount surface is best for me. Any ideas?
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #7454
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Need advice here!

Did any you had the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
I repladed all the signal bulbs to multi-leds. Changed the original flasher for a 2 pin flasher advertised for LED's and then, the four of them flashes at the same time.

Replaced two of the original bulbs back and it works fine....What am I doing wrong? I read about resistance, but thought that these electronic flashers would solve the problem...

Please advise!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #7455
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Carlos,

I put LED signals on my AT and they ALL flashed when I turned on one side or the other. Then I realised the dash light was the common factor. I took the dash bulb out and everything was right again. I used an electronic flasher unit specifically made for LED signals.

Jim.