Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #7591
dualdogdave
Twin Power Rules!

Oddometer: 144
TA AT NT Hybrid Project Update

Greetings all,

I've been more focused on completeing old projects recently.

Here is a brief update on the status of my TA AT NT Hybrid.

This project has been 3-4 years in the planning and execution.

I spent a couple of years scratching around Europe and the UK on eBay
collecting the pieces one at a time.

Conversion highlights to date include:

Modified NT 650 GT Hawk engine

Africa Twin: front forks with hard anodized legs,
rear swing arm,
AT Marzochi remote adjust shock,
epoxied hubs,
polished rims,
stainless spokes,
Continental TKOs,
discs,
calipers,
SS lines,
master cylinders,
520 chain and sprockets,
Givi engine guard,
fat bars,
heated grips,
risers,
Deka battery,
Hella Horn
Renazco suede touring seat.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj333/adv990/TANTAT%20
Hybrid/IMG_1227.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have now taken the project to my friend, Brian Sterns owner of Silicon Valley' best Welding shop; Advanced Welding in Mountianview CA near Los Altos.

[IMG][/IMG]

Brian and his staff of craftsmen have so far:

Extendened the kick stand.

Welded frame mounts for remote shock adjuster,

[IMG][/IMG]

Welded frame mounts for Africa Twin rear brake master cylinder.

Machined adapter slip joint for exhaust header pipe extention for new Leo
Vince slip on exhaust canister.

Mounting of Leo Vince and fabrication and mounting of custom luggage racks. details and photos to come in next installment.

Stay tuned..................

DDD

Santa Cruz Coastal Mountains

"TransHawk" Dyno Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-y7nxL580

"TransHawk" Dyno Charts:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/D...05658028913170

Transalps and other cool bikes spotted in my travels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/T...eat=directlink
dualdogdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #7592
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 416
Nice !!! How much $$$ you left for the shock ?
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #7593
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 156
Tire Advice

Hi All,

Yes, it's a noob here. Been lurking most of the last year as I have a number of ADV Rider friends. I have been steadily getting through the 500+ pages on the Transalp mods. thread. Lots of great info. Well, now I need some advice. Is there any definitive answer to the question, "Which tires should I run on my TA (1989)?" Of course, I know there isn't.

So here's my problem. I bought the bike almost a year ago. It had Continental TKCs. I liked them but now time to replace them. Most of my riding is on paved mountain twisties with forays onto gravel/dirt FS roads (with the occasional creek crossing). Say 80/20 pavement/dirt.

I went with Michelin Anakees and the bike has been vibrating ever since — a humpity, hump, humpity hump... Most notably between 35 and 45 mph. Really trying to not bore you all with minutia. I then changed the chain/sprockets and I had the tires remounted and rebalanced. The shop is going to change out the rear tire tomorrow to see if it might be defective.

Any of you have experience with the Anakees? Or with the vibration described?
Porkchop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #7594
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Great lookin TA your getting there, does the swing arm from an Africa go straight on. The one thing I really hate about the TA is the time it takes to get the chain tensioned, whereas the Twin has the same set up as my XR and takes about 3 seconds
I guess somewhere in this thread it explains but its just too long to trawl through
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #7595
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
dualdogdave,

Very nice TA/AT you are putting together. The bike looks like what Honda should have taken the new TA towards.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #7596
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316

I've often heard about these vibrations with Anakees from Transalpers here in Germany, but don't have any own experience with them. I prefere more dual sports oriented tyres.

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #7597
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
****Any of you have experience with the Anakees? Or with the vibration described?****

Welcome to the group, Never used Anakees but for the type riding you described I can highly recommend Avon Distanzia's.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #7598
Bummer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Dualdogdave...

Please send pic´s to HONDA, so they can see how the f... a TRANSALP 2010, should look, instead of that plastic kawazuki heep of S... they made for a 09 model...

Awesome bike....

We dont stop making foolish things because we get older.
But if we stop making foolish things, we get old to fast...(that goes for foolish nicknames too... )
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #7599
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,806
I'm using Anakees presently. No vibrations. About 6-7000miles on them so far. 70,000mi TA. All seems good.

Pretty good tire in my opinion, but I don't push real hard in the corners. I haven't ridden in much rain, either. It doesn't rain here in summer and it is too cold, for me, to ride in winter.

They seem to handle dry forest roads and county gravel quite well. Absolutely horrible in snow or mud.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7600
dualdogdave
Twin Power Rules!

Oddometer: 144
Africa Twin to Transalp swing arm swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
Great lookin TA your getting there, does the swing arm from an Africa go straight on. The one thing I really hate about the TA is the time it takes to get the chain tensioned, whereas the Twin has the same set up as my XR and takes about 3 seconds
I guess somewhere in this thread it explains but its just too long to trawl through

[IMG][/IMG]

If you buy a AT swing arm you need the knuckle link and shock to match and of coarse you will need a longer chain.

With this mod you gain a couple of inches in wheel base and 3-4 inches in height over stock.

DDD

Santa Cruz Coastal Mountains

"TransHawk" Dyno Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-y7nxL580

"TransHawk" Dyno Charts:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/D...05658028913170

Transalps and other cool bikes spotted in my travels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/T...eat=directlink
dualdogdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #7601
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
I have Anakees on mine and no problema! Already 2K mi on them! I will definetly buy them again. You should tell the tire seller about the problem you are experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316
Hi All,

Yes, it's a noob here. Been lurking most of the last year as I have a number of ADV Rider friends. I have been steadily getting through the 500+ pages on the Transalp mods. thread. Lots of great info. Well, now I need some advice. Is there any definitive answer to the question, "Which tires should I run on my TA (1989)?" Of course, I know there isn't.

So here's my problem. I bought the bike almost a year ago. It had Continental TKCs. I liked them but now time to replace them. Most of my riding is on paved mountain twisties with forays onto gravel/dirt FS roads (with the occasional creek crossing). Say 80/20 pavement/dirt.

I went with Michelin Anakees and the bike has been vibrating ever since — a humpity, hump, humpity hump... Most notably between 35 and 45 mph. Really trying to not bore you all with minutia. I then changed the chain/sprockets and I had the tires remounted and rebalanced. The shop is going to change out the rear tire tomorrow to see if it might be defective.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #7602
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Hey Tourist, MAS and Andy G.,

Thanks for the input. Good to hear Tourist is running these tires without problems. Tomorrow I'll have the new rear tire mounted. We'll see if this one is defective. Fingers crossed. (The vibes did not occur until the tire was changed.)

Anyone else with a shaky TA, let me know what you think.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #7603
Porkchop316
Patent pending

And thanks to you to Locorider. Didn't mean to leave you out. Yes, the dealer is very aware of this and is being very helpful.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #7604
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335
****Any of you have experience with the Anakees? Or with the vibration described?****

Welcome to the group, Never used Anakees but for the type riding you described I can highly recommend Avon Distanzia's.
+1 on the Avon Distanzia's ...............just replaced the front Avon with another Avon after 8000 miles...............This can happen with any tire but I had trouble with the bead moving up on the rim evenly all the way around......took 5 attempts plenty of tire lube, cleaning the rim and a little extra PSI to move the tire up into position. If the tire is not all the way up and even you will get an out of round feeling, tire hop, flat spot or general imbalance etc. Most tires have a line around the tire to use as a reference to the rim to judge the position on the rim.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #7605
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Hey Showkey and All,

Thanks for the replies about the tires and the bumpy ride. New rear tire is on. Seems better but still working on it. I next will try to remove a very slight "hump" in the front rim by tuning the spokes. It's always good to have something to keep one busy. Otherwise, I guess we would just ride all the time.

By the way, my bike is not really modded, but I'd at least like to show it off. Just getting started here on ADV Rider and looking forward to the madness.