Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #7636
dualdogdave
Twin Power Rules!

Oddometer: 144
TA AT NT Hybrid Project Update

Progress Report

Today I stopped by Advanced Welding to check on the custom fabrication of brackets mounting my Leo Vice slip-on and Touratec universal pannier rack..

[IMG][/IMG]

By picking up on the tail rack mounting bolts Brian was able to fab a bracket that supports the slip-on and pannier rack combined.

[IMG][/IMG]

The intent is to keep the slip-on up high, tucked up in along with the original exhaust path putting the outlet well out back avoiding obsticles in the exhaust stream.

[IMG][/IMG]

Brian's knowledge of fabrication and motorcycles really shows on this kind of project.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leo Vince Exhaust Slip-on fit-up to header pipe Comming up next...............

DDD

Santa Cruz Coastal Mountains

"TransHawk" Dyno Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-y7nxL580

"TransHawk" Dyno Charts:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/D...05658028913170

Transalps and other cool bikes spotted in my travels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/T...eat=directlink
dualdogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #7637
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Ladder,

are you hiding things from us your folks?
No, I'm not.

The combination of the photo in BIKE and the information BIKE provided was an error.

The photo in question

Was taken at a Rally PanAm "Riff-Raff" party. The machine is Jonah Street's 2007 #25 Dakar bike. It's a KTM 525....not a Transalp

I submitted this photo to BIKE magazines "Bike Great Esacpe" since the blog was awarding points for a variety of motorcycle related activities. Among them a "test-ride" and a jump. So I submitted this photo that had both at once.

In earlier email to BIKE, I described my Transalp/AT Hybrid and talked about how the later model TAs and ATs were not imported here. I submitted a photo of the TA/AT also....this one:

Somehow, one of the writers, confused that photo of Jonah's bike with the description of the Transalp. They contacted me to ask permission to print the photo of my Transalp and I assumed they meant the second photo. BIKE did not send a copy of the photo they said they would use .

I agreed to have them publish it. Earlier last month, I started getting emails from the guys at xrv.org.uk asking about the bike and things got even more confused until I was able to get my copy of the August issue (which I don't receive until the first week of the month).

So.....while it was nice to get my photo in a magazine, the information given is in error.......Sorry to dissapoint. I did contact BIKE by email advising them of the error but have not heard back from them to date.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #7638
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
My question is what purpose do these holes really serve and what are your thoughts about filling these holes and re-drilling them to OEM specs?

Would I really notice a difference if I just ignored them and rebuilt the carbs using the modifyed vacuum pistons?
The holes in question function to allow lower pressure from the intake tract to move up into the top chamber of the carbs. This acts on the diaphragms to raise the carb slide. Remember that the throttle cables on the CV carbs only control the butterfly valve downstream from the slide and needle.

Making these holes larger is an attempt to make the slides rise more quickly for "improved" throttle response. I don't know enough about the physics involved here to know if a larger hole directly equates to quicker response. My gut feeling is that it's just voodoo. At the same time, it most likely will not spoil your rebuild and is probably not worth the time needed to fill and redrill. I'd just use them and see.

The whole point of the CV carb is that having the slide rise in relation to vacuum (or negative pressure) in the intake means you don't have the "momentary lean hesitation" that you get when the throttle is tied directly to the slide. Doing it this way eliminates the need for an accelerator pump but does result in some "delay" in throttle response.

Making the slide rise TOO quickly will get you back to the "lean hesitation" problem you were trying to avoid by using the CV carb in the first place.....so I don't understand why its done.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #7639
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
The holes in question function to allow lower pressure from the intake tract to move up into the top chamber of the carbs. This acts on the diaphragms to raise the carb slide. Remember that the throttle cables on the CV carbs only control the butterfly valve downstream from the slide and needle.

Making these holes larger is an attempt to make the slides rise more quickly for "improved" throttle response. I don't know enough about the physics involved here to know if a larger hole directly equates to quicker response. My gut feeling is that it's just voodoo. At the same time, it most likely will not spoil your rebuild and is probably not worth the time needed to fill and redrill. I'd just use them and see.

The whole point of the CV carb is that having the slide rise in relation to vacuum (or negative pressure) in the intake means you don't have the "momentary lean hesitation" that you get when the throttle is tied directly to the slide. Doing it this way eliminates the need for an accelerator pump but does result in some "delay" in throttle response.

Making the slide rise TOO quickly will get you back to the "lean hesitation" problem you were trying to avoid by using the CV carb in the first place.....so I don't understand why its done.

Thanks for the insight on this, makes sense now.

This raises another question, I have a set of Carbs off a 87 or 88 Canadian Transalp and the springs on the pistons are significantly shorter than what we are used to seeing, 2 1/2" vs 5 1/2". What ever the thinking was on the shorter version it quickly was replaced by the longer springs in later bikes.

I just need to try those out sometime to see what they are all about.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #7640
marruc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
introduction

Hi all!
Just subscribed to this forum after reading it for the last 7 nights!
Great info and even better pics!
As soon as i've found out how to post I'll put one of my bike here
In the future I'll bother you all with questions!
See ya!

(excuse me for the lousy English...)

Hope these pics are visible....
Is there a easier way to show pics here beside ImageShack?

Cheers!
Marc

marruc screwed with this post 08-13-2009 at 08:32 AM
marruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #7641
mas335
xendurist

Welcome to the group. Your English is fine, everyone I have ever talked to from the Netherlands speaks it perfectly. Your photos look great. You can post photos direct from your computer but only one image per posting which is what I do.

You will learn a lot here, I sure have.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #7642
PaTrans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Welcome! Don't worry bout the english, whenever i read posts from folks in the Netherlands my brain automatically does the voice of Mike Myers as Goldmember, isn't it vierd?

Black is my favorite color for a Tranny! Nice Ride
PaTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #7643
mas335
xendurist

Just a heads up for anyone interested. I have my 1990/91 Transalp listed in the FM.

mas335 screwed with this post 10-02-2010 at 03:54 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #7644
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Beautiful bike. I've always liked that color scheme.

Changing tires today on the DR750. I found a cheap and easy way to protect nice anodized rims from the tire spoons that tend to scratch them up.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #7645
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Beautiful bike. I've always liked that color scheme.

Changing tires today on the DR750. I found a cheap and easy way to protect nice anodized rims from the tire spoons that tend to scratch them up.

More tire lube can't have too much
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #7646
Shandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Forks

Looking at AT forks for dual stopping power up front I have never liked the braking power or lack there of on the TA. Does anyone know how the AT forks compare with the XRL forks, length and diameter? Will the AT front end bolt on the TA like the XRL did? I have several leads on ebay right now. Any help would be great. Thanks, JIM

Love the things you guys are doing on here.

Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #7647
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,555
Welp, I bought the baseball bat TA that's in the for sale section today.....let the mods begin!!!!

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #7648
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Lots of potential there, Jeff. What direction are you planning to take it.....AT type stuff or stripped down "SuperEnduro" like Modrover's old bike?

Shandy,

The AT forks are 43mm in diameter (so they will not fit into the TA triples) and much shorter than the XRL forks. The AT forks have just over 8 inches of travel whereas the XRL models have about 11.

The entire front (forks and triples) from either an RD03 (single disc) or RD04 (double disc and probably more what you're looking for) should go right onto the TA steering head. You'll have to get the AT front wheel to accomodate the double disc front.

You may have to raise the rear with a short shock spacer just a bit to compensate for the AT front.

The XRL forks require a significant rise in the rear along with careful assembly of the front fender to avoid full-compression contact with the frame and/or crashbars. On the whole, the AT front is a safer bet.

The only other thing you should consider with the AT stuff is the front brake mastercylinder and lines. I don't know if the front master is the same for the TA's single disc and the AT's doubles but I'd doubt it. You'll want to have a front brake that works so the master cylinder will require replacement with the AT part or careful research if not.

The stock TA front fender will bolt right up to the AT fork legs...same part and mounting.

Where are you finding this stuff? eBay-Germany?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #7649
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,982
At forks bolt straight onto the TA, you'll need the mastercylinder as well to run the brakes
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #7650
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Lots of potential there, Jeff. What direction are you planning to take it.....AT type stuff or stripped down "SuperEnduro" like Modrover's old bike?
A little of both actually!!

I put the XRL forks on tonight.

The thing actually runs very well.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote