Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #8206
Bummer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Awesome Loco, that one is in top 2 of all honda, i´ve seen modified.. Just that paintjob, those colors...

We dont stop making foolish things because we get older.
But if we stop making foolish things, we get old to fast...(that goes for foolish nicknames too... )
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #8207
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Hey Carlos - those Transalp decals look familiar - those the ones I had made up?

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #8208
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonadvrider
I'm asking santa this year to squeeze a set of Maxxis m6006 tires down the chimney this Christmas for my 89 Alp. Any recommendations on the sizes?
Mark - are you sure you want to run those tires? User reviews I've seen talk of short life overall/squaring off fairly quickly, loud howl on pavement and lots of vibration at higher speeds, etc.

As a comparatively priced tire, you might want to look at the Shinko 244 series. I've only run a rear but it was fairly quiet on road and worked pretty well for what little off-road I did. I pulled my 244 rear off at 4500 miles as it was starting to square off - that sounds like twice the miles most guys are getting from the Maxxis M6006.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100637

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #8209
oregonadvrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks for the reply Dave, there seems to be alot of mixed reviews on the Maxxis so I may shop around a little. Alot of people have stopped carrying them also for some reason.
oregonadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #8210
oregonadvrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Accessory outlet

Second post of the day (raining here all weekend), I am considering installing an accessory outlet mainly for GPS and cell phone charging but was also wondering if it could be used to charge the battery during the winter when the alp sits for awhile. Could I simply plug in a male end into the outlet with a positive/negative wire coming out of it, then hook a battery charger to the two wires? Otherwise, any posts on accessory outlet installations and/or easy ways to charge the battery? Taking off the side panel is a bit of a pain, last time I brake off one of the posts that goes into the rubber grommet (repaired with JB weld). Mark
oregonadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #8211
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Hi carlos, I bought 1 litre of silver two pack paint yesterday to spray my 87 transalp frame 143 bucks and the hardener another 30 bucks it aint cheap
Please change the screw above the headlights to chrome one like on the tank side cover cool.
robmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #8212
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonadvrider
Second post of the day (raining here all weekend), I am considering installing an accessory outlet mainly for GPS and cell phone charging but was also wondering if it could be used to charge the battery during the winter when the alp sits for awhile. Could I simply plug in a male end into the outlet with a positive/negative wire coming out of it, then hook a battery charger to the two wires? Otherwise, any posts on accessory outlet installations and/or easy ways to charge the battery? Taking off the side panel is a bit of a pain, last time I brake off one of the posts that goes into the rubber grommet (repaired with JB weld). Mark
If you ran the wires directly from the battery to the outlet it should not be a problem to charge this way in fact not a bad idea.
robmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #8213
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,669
Jeff and Clancy ,thank you for the pics,now I need to find motivation since there aren`t any long trips for a while.Heck,I might even change the oil on the TA
Old 11-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #8214
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
If you ran the wires directly from the battery to the outlet it should not be a problem to charge this way in fact not a bad idea.
Good idea as long as there is an in-line fuse as close to the batttery terminal as possible.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #8215
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey
Good idea as long as there is an in-line fuse as close to the batttery terminal as possible.
How many amps should the fuse be?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #8216
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,669
Oh well,I started today the side racks build since NE is unusually warm and my collar bone is slowly healing but not to the point I can safely ride.
Looked arround and came up with this all aluminum tubing courtesy of some old medical equipment...

what you guys think?Too KLR-ish?I can always throw in the towell and spend the $300 for the real thing
Sorry for the cellphone pics and the Solas reflection
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #8217
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic
How many amps should the fuse be?
Cell phone and GPS and backwards trickle charge 7.5 to 10 should be more than enough with short protection.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #8218
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,398
Yes, my friend! Those are the second pair. The first one were sacrificed!!!! Thanks, pal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
Hey Carlos - those Transalp decals look familiar - those the ones I had made up?

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #8219
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Gracias amigo! That means a lot! I'm preparing her to go to AK next summer and to ride with some ATs and TAs in Oregon...lets if everything stays on schedule!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer
Awesome Loco, that one is in top 2 of all honda, i´ve seen modified.. Just that paintjob, those colors...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 08:39 PM
Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #8220
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Yea...they were painted when the AT parts arrived from France. I cleaned them but were a little rusted. So I painted them....but, I have a pair of chrome screws somewhere....hummm...I need to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Hi carlos, I bought 1 litre of silver two pack paint yesterday to spray my 87 transalp frame 143 bucks and the hardener another 30 bucks it aint cheap
Please change the screw above the headlights to chrome one like on the tank side cover cool.