Oddometer: 2,129
oops, try again.......
Attached Images

arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #77
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Here's another view. BTW, I also used a plexiglass, or some such, headlight protector. I found a pair of them at gas station in Yukon several years ago, but think I've also seen them at auto parts stores like Pep Boys or Auto Zone.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 AM   #78
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,590
Question Cheeta screen

Not a bad looking screen. How does it work for you? More protection than stock, but what about the buffeting?

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA (and looking for another TA)
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #79
arroyoshark
Needing some space

RE: Cheeta windscreen

It was a vast improvement over both the original screen and the clearview. I'm 5' 11" and I get a lot of frontal protection with this screen because it is a bit wider at top than those screens. Chest an shoulders protected from air flow, but arms are not. I get a bit of buffeting at very top of helmet. I am able to ride around with either open face or MX style helmet and sunglasses without discomfort. The clear view and OEM sent air right into my face.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:19 PM   #80
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked I rode out the TA today... the "new" screen works!

Hey, the Cheeta looks the biz! I bet it functions like you say. It's very hard finding something that works for YOU!

Here's me on my TA today. My wife took this as I was heading out. Note the angle of the screen. I beleave this screen was an early Clearview (with no curves), but not anymore!!! I took the old grinder to it and really increased the angle and some of the sides. Now, the air flow hits my whole helmet, but not my chest. I really like how it works for me as I'm not getting the BRAIN shake from the buffeting like before! WOO HOO!!!

I have found that the more direct flow at my helmet the better. I'd rather get a few more bugs and rain on my helmet screen than have my head put thru the blender! Anyway, it works for now. I'm sure I'll want something different later...

Regards,
Michael
Van., WA USA
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #81
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Laugh How's about a land mod?

HAHA This is the chunk of land that will soon be our new house! I just had to ride over and get the TransAlp in the shot. Even rode over the lot for good measure!

Regards,
Michael
Van., WA USA
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 PM   #82
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked Coming soon...

I'm picking up my "new" 1989 Honda TransAlp today. Original owner, 4010 miles (honestly), and near perfect. Was riden over the past few years to just keep things lubed and fresh. This will go along side my current 1989 TA with 35K on the clock.

Why two? Well, the "new" TA is going to serve as my commuter and traveling bike (you know, a bike that's not trail beaten on weekends). The TA I've owned for awhile will be going on a diet and getting a minor facelift. Just a couple things to keep her street legal and the rest is ALL MOTOR!

Oh, and the other reason for two... THESE BIKES ARE THE SHIT! Well, for me anyway.

I'll keep you TA buds posted on my project. I'll also post some photos of what could be the cleanest example of a US spec. TA! Today is going to be a very good day! I even get to ride her 3.5 hours just to get her home.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-07-2004, 05:57 AM   #83
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,195
Mod have you seen any fork upgrades? I think someone on yahoo list did it , I know forks XR600-650 are a low effort upgrade. I have 2 sets of xr forks one w/ triples, the triples look to be a straight bolt on, same with brake swap.

natch you'd either need to lower the front or raise the rear.

I have thought of some USD forks but lock to lock clearance would be tight and more effort.
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM   #84
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
I'm picking up my "new" 1989 Honda TransAlp today. Original owner, 4010 miles (honestly), and near perfect.

Oh, and the other reason for two... THESE BIKES ARE THE SHIT! Well, for me anyway.
Congrats on the new mount! That sounds like my TA when I picked it up in 1996. I can't wait to see how the 'ole TA transforms into a rat bike.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:13 AM   #85
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thumb and then there was two...

I am truly a lucky man. I have purchased my second TA! Original owner, 3900 miles (honestly), and very near perfect (he who looks for perfection is missing the point).

I'm now broke! So, I don't think I'll be doing much modifying to the 1st TransAlp for awhile. I think I'll be dumping fluids and checking stuff over on the 2nd for a bit.

I purchased her about 3-4 hours away. It was like... well, like it was meant to be mine! As if... a person was selected in 1989 to purchase the bike for me until I F'n got a clue and came for her!

The whole ride home (including traffic in Seattle and Tacoma... Ugh!... 5 hours!!!) was in the rain. A good test for the "new" TA. Well, she was very well behaved. Cruising at 70-80 mph for hours at a time during some very heavy rainfall... no problem!

I'll be thinking about those fork mods. for the 1st TA and about adding some side bags and Corbin to the 2nd. Fact is... I've pretty much used all my cash so things like that will have to be put on hold for a bit. Kind of nice really as this is RIDE season and I'd rather do that anytime! So, for TA number two... I'll change the oil and coolant... maybe adjust the valves... probably adjust the chain... and then ride the summer away! I'll probably come up with some better ideas with a clearer head because of it.

Here they are... TWIN TWINS!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #86
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
congrats--one for mild mannerd comuting and one for tearing up fire roads. I added engine ice and it actually kept the temp gague down longer riding around the city.The next mod is a Remus exhaust as it was the only thing, aside from stock ,i could find.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:01 AM   #87
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,195
3-4 hrs north ?, damn you must of bought that it my back yard so to speak, good on ya, be prepared for the "why do you need two...." questions from those that do not understand. good on ya, enjoy.

XR forks are reasonable used, you can use the same disc, (going from rumour and looking it at, i have not done the swap), know anyone who has used a longer r shock? 1-2" would be ideal for me.

since your buying a new house, pad some $$ in the financing to get a nitrous kit, yeah !!!
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #88
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Laugh Highwaychile...

Yeah, thank you! The bike was in Lake Stevens. The seller was really down about selling it, but he knows it's gone to a really good home. I really don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I mean, with the current choices of bikes out... the only thing that even interests me is that DL650. Even that isn't enough to make me sell either of my TAs. Now if Honda brings back the TA into the USA... well, maybe... just maybe.

I've been explaining already the question of "why two?" Even my boss, a BWM GSPD rider, asked. Gee wiz, you'd think he'd get it! Oh well, he's only got a "seasonal" insurance policy on his bike to ride during the summer so who cares what he thinks!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #89
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Geez, no one has mentioned stainless steel brake lines yet??? I am planning on putting one of these on my front brake, is the improvement as significant as people say?

Also, I am prepping my Transalp for a really, really long trip and need to upgrade the rear shock to carry two people + luggage. I am thinking of a custom shock from Works Performance, but am open to suggestions.

A set of aluminum panniers will be installed also, from either Happy Trails, or possible Jesse (if they decide to make a model for the Transalp). I will post some pix when I get the stuff installed.
I just got my Transalp a couple months ago, and it's a blast!!!
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #90
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking davidmc...

Hey, congrats on the "new" TA!

I really like the beefy racks made by Happy Trails. They are a universal rack style so you can add just about any box/bag you could imagine. They do sell a complete kit with AL boxes and the rack for like $600. I think I will just buy the rack setup for $250 and use something else (like Pelican boxes or Givi).

I've never really talked with anyone about the SS brake lines stuff. Here's one thing I've noticed about them off-roading Land Rovers. They don't stretch and they still can break... but, it sometimes happens at the nipple or in the caliper! SHIT! That's not cool! I'd rather split a rubber line than have that happen. If you're not using the bike off-road I really wouldn't worry about it. I have heard that, in general, those SS brake lines improve the braking.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA