User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #91
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
modrover

I will let you know about the stainless steel brake line improvements, I plan on installing some in the next month or two.

And yes, the Happy Trails rack looks pretty beefy, I may go with the full system, but may also investigate other aluminum box options as well. I can't go too wide with the boxes as the muffler sticks out of the right side. Happy Trails has boxes which should keep the distance even from the centerline of the bike to the outside of the panniers. This involves using different widths of boxes on each side.

Anyone upgraded the rear shock on their Transalp?
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #92
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
I have put an Ohlins on mine a couple months ago, big improvement however my stocker was quite flogged, I havent rode it on too knarly of dirt , need to upgrade the tires.

I am kicking around selling the ohlins as I may go to a slightly longer shock. i have some XR650 forks to hang off the front, they will need to be shortened to match the rear, it would be a same to pass up the chance of 1-2 more inches of travel.
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #93
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Ohlins...

Ohlins shock... is it as good as they say?

I was thinking about doing some sus. upgrades this winter. I just don't know if they're actually worth the extra bucks over say one of those "White" brand shocks. Hmm... if you sold yours... what might you want for it?

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:18 AM   #94
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
I am kicking around selling the ohlins as I may go to a slightly longer shock. i have some XR650 forks to hang off the front, they will need to be shortened to match the rear, it would be a same to pass up the chance of 1-2 more inches of travel.
Have you dropped the rear suspension to see if a longer shock would fit? If so, what do you think is the max shock length for the TA?

According to this http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/dirtbikes.pdf, the TA shock is 14.69 long and the 88-94 XR600R shock is 15.00. It would be sweet if the XR shock would fit. Is there a remote reservoir on the XR shock?

transalper screwed with this post 05-14-2004 at 08:36 AM
transalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #95
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

The Ohlins works well, my stocker was completely sacked out so I cant tell an accurate compro. I only have the XR forks ( 2 sets,) not a XR shock, I am looking at some other ohlins & WP that I have for out back. seems I have 5 sets of forks in the garage, I must have some kind of woody for 'em, USD ohlins, showa, 2 XR's, set of marzocchi, worse habits to have I guess.

If I can get one of the others to fit, the stock ohlins will go on the block. Modrover I will be riding it near you this summer ( 2x monthly trips to oregon coast for business) so if you want to try it to see how it rides, no worries;
Old 05-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #96
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Question Highwaychile...

Do email me if passing thru. I'd be cool to see another TA with some trick stuff on it!

Hey, on the subject of rear shocks...

I was messing around with my rear shock adjuster nuts (Ooo La La ) and now totally lost my reference point! I adjusted to get rid of some sag and then re-adjusted it to add a little more back... then adjusted again... and again... Ugh! Now, I've lost my point of reference!

That said, how did you set up that rear coil spring? I set mine so that when I sit on it it sags 1 3/4" with my full weight. I think it might be on the stiff side as when the TA is resting on it's side stand it only has like 1/8 - 1/4" of up travel remaining when I pull up on the bike.

I plan to buy the Happy Trails rear rack system (and bolt Pelican boxes) so I'm thinking if it's on the firm side now... it will be needed when I add the extra weight.

Any thoughts on setting up that rear shock correctly would be appreciated. I've gotten different ideas about this and I don't have a work shop manual yet to look it up.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #97
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Question Highwaychile... you still there?

Hey Mate... just wanted to BUMP this to keep it fresh. Any ideas on setting up that rear shock? I'm still not sure of my settings and would really like your opinion on the proper way to set up the free load and rider weight load.

Anyone else who's done the TA rear shock adjustment can pipe in too!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #98
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

sorry for Slow to post, I have been out of town on business. I do not know much about setting up suspension on a street bike, ( dirt is 4" of sag....) for the Ohlins I cranked up the dampening, made a big difference, still need to putz with it.
Mines far from trick, it was on the path to becoming a slapper, I am bringing it back to life....
Old 05-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #99
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking Rear shock

Hey, good enough. I'll ride mine around a bit and see how I like it. I think with the extra weight I plan to add... I leave it a bit on the stiff side for now.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #100
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Modrover, the guy on the yahoo TA board who put XR650 forks on, do you know if he shortened the new forks or left them the stock height and went longer in the shock?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:20 AM   #101
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

no luck looking for that info.

http://www.transalp.de/technik/pd-te...n/xr-gabel.php

I couldn't find the info., but check this site out. Very cool... it's only in German, but maybe one of our German TA friends here will help out.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Feel free to post any findings on front and rear sus. upgrades. I'm trying to figure out what the hell I want to do too. I'm soooooo interested in seeing about putting one of those 750R rear swing arm shaft drive units on a TA... now that would be sweet! Probably have to use the 750R trans. too.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #102
iceweazel
mechanic-ly inclined

Oddometer: 421
sigh. Color me jealous

All these nice TAs and the ATs are making me homesick. Used to ride an AT when I was overseas for a while. LOVED that bike and should never have sold it.

Can't find even a TA for sale here in the states. Would love to pick one up, better yet another Africa twin! I've brought cars into the states on title so that doesn't bother me, just can't seem to FIND anything. sigh.
(if anyone knows of a non-beater, let me know)

Here's a little help with that web page if you can't find someone to read it for ya.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...l.php&lp=de_en

Ed

iceweazel screwed with this post 05-23-2004 at 02:27 PM
iceweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #103
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thanks for the link...

I finally got to read that article myself!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS I'm sure you'll find a nice TA if you take some time.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #104
iceweazel
mechanic-ly inclined

Oddometer: 421
Well been' looking for a couple of months and missed the only one I'd seen by a day. Low mileage too (3k) :(

Hopefully this year. Unless the Triumph or KTM bug bites. Cleaning the old 4 out of the garage this month.
iceweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:59 AM   #105
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 561
Thumb Not a transalp but AT

I just bought this Africa Twin XRV750 2000 model last week since my GS1100 has been stolen
3 weeks ago. Got a real bargain as it set me back about $2544 and the bike has only done 13000 miles. Had to drive it back from
Edinburgh,Scotland to London the same day after I caught the train up north.
Very different to my previous beast but handles well and does 100mph with ease.
The 430 mile trip produced no mechanical problems and it seemed to run better and better
the longer I drove.
I was astonished with the amount of rust on the bike though..

Don't think it will be a problem to clean up and once stripped it will be a good time
for a few mods. The standard pipe has to go first! Then some nice shiny stainless steel
cap srews all round.

Some new fittings I will include will be higher mudguard, touratech pannier frames,GPS..

Might even find the time to make a better sump guard and back luggage carrier. The wheels needs
to come off and be sandblasted and sprayed. The rust on there is horrible.

Hopefully soon will post some pics of a nicer cleaner bike with lots more mileage and
intereting bits on! This is what it looked like before the previous owner's wife accidently
knocked it over causing the RHS mirror to go. Not good as the mirror is part of the
brakefluid housing.

Later dudes!