Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #11851
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Has anyone found a headlight protector for the early Transalp square headlight model?
I'm after a metal frame type similar to that available for AT's and later model TA's.
I attempted to make one from a wire grill but it ain't the same as a proper one
Cheers
Dan
I used a 3M product designed for protecting headlights and is 1/8" thick, clear plastic with adhesive on one side, just cut it to shape and stuck it on.

Rick
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #11852
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex300 View Post
School me on the TA's pulse generators...

My '87 TA runs on the rear cylinder only once the motor gets up to operating temp. (FRUSTRATING when you're trying to commute to work!!!)When cold it runs great.

I have narrowed down a fault with the front cylinder's pulse generator. Reads normal when cold, but has no reading when hot (when running on the one cylinder). Rear cylinder reads between 360 and 540 Ohms and is within specs.

Both CDIs are new and coils check out fine too.

So is there anything I can do to fix the pulse generator or is it a matter of replacing it???

Just when I fix one issue another seems to pop up, hopefully by the end of the summer it'll be stone cold reliable again.

Eagerly awaiting your responses,
Rick
The only thing you could repair would be a loose or damaged connection or wire lead. The pulser coils have no repair. I suppose if the part became unavailable one could rewind the coil.

This a very uncommon part too fail, but if one were to fail, you might expect it to be heat sensitive. They come as set price in the US about $100.

showkey screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 02:39 PM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #11853
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
THIS picture needs a lot more details, what all did he do to it and to carry what? he defiently had the ADV part down.
Well that was a LONG time ago during Transalp Rallye 1989 from Strasbourg, France to Porto, Portugal.
This Swedish guy and his girl friend were touring across all countries along the shores of Mediterranean Sea when they heard about the Rallye and joined.
This was his bike preparation for a 6 months 2 up adventure tour. If I remember well there was a drinking water tank and a gas tank at the back between the panniers.
The nick name of the bike was panzer bike !
Olirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #11854
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
The only thing you could repair would be a loose or damaged connection or wire lead. The pulser coils have no repair. I suppose if the part became unavailable one could rewind the coil.

This a very uncommon part too fail, but if one were to fail, you might expect it to be heat sensitive. They come as set price in the US about $100.
Thankyou showkey for the fast reply. Honda Canada can't get one until October and Honda USA shows the pulse generators for an '89 being bolted on with a 6mm bolt, my '87 has 10mm bolt heads. Don't look the same, weird.

Anybody know if these will interchange? 1989 parts into an '87 motor???

Has anyone had a failure like this before???

Anybody with a pair of pulse generators they'll part with?

Cheers,
Rick

Is my riding season over?

trex300 screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 08:33 PM
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #11855
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Has anyone found a headlight protector for the early Transalp square headlight model?
I'm after a metal frame type similar to that available for AT's and later model TA's.
I attempted to make one from a wire grill but it ain't the same as a proper one
Cheers
Dan
Yes, there is one that fits perfectly. Unfortunately I can't point you a vendor. In the late 90's I bought a pair of generic rectangular wire mesh headlight guards for my pickup. They were like $10 from JC Whitney. Well they didn't fit and it was not worth the trouble for a refund so I tossed them on a shelf in the garage. Years later I buy my 89 TA. Turns out they are a perfect fit to cover the glass in the TA headlight. JCW does not list them anymore but I would assume that some 4-wheel-drive catalog would have something along those lines. I'd post a pic but I don't have a pic hosting account. But check around the off-road truck accessories market and you'll find something I'm sure.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #11856
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,529
Here are pics of the wire guard that Scott refers to above. The manufacturer appears to be called Powerflow but a Google search turns up no evidence they are still producing the protectors.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #11857
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
A web search turned up the company (Powerflow), but they only sell mud flaps now. The packing says they were made in China so maybe another firm is importing them. They are called "stoneguards".

Thanks to Norcal for posting.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #11858
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thankyou showkey for the fast reply. Honda Canada can't get one until October and Honda USA shows the pulse generators for an '89 being bolted on with a 6mm bolt, my '87 has 10mm bolt heads. Don't look the same, weird.

Anybody know if these will interchange? 1989 parts into an '87 motor???

Has anyone had a failure like this before???

Anybody with a pair of pulse generators they'll part with?

Cheers,
Rick

Is my riding season over?
I think there maybe a confusion on the bolt size "nomenclature".

The 1989 each pulser are held on by two 6MM thread size with 10MM head size bolts.
Part # for the pulser bolts is 95701-06020-00 (6x20) generic flange bolt quan 4.

I do not have 1987 shop manual or parts book to compare. You should recheck that. Since they share the CDI box it's very possible they are the same pulsers.

These are NOT fast moving parts in the US and there are very few available, so this is a very rare failure.

There maybe other pulsers that are the same but have different part # because the leads or connectors are different size shape or length.
NT650 pulsers look the same different part # and are discontinued.

showkey screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 01:52 PM
Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #11859
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
transalp fans will want to see this. F off, board nazis

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...10&acctid=2715
somebody got a great deal. anyone here by any chance?
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #11860
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Only if the GOV sale supplies a clean title other wise a good deal on a parts bike
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #11861
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Fuel tap thread question: PD06 Transalp/ RD04 Africa Twin

Hi guys
Hope someone can help. Without going into the whole story, Iím looking to replace my 1987 Pd06 Transalp fuel tap from the oem one with the stupid (IMHO) vacuum hose attachment (that magically turns the fuel off when it wants toÖ not when I want to, and hence my bike stops when I donít want it toÖ) to one that has no vacuum feed from the cylinder head, just gravity.

FWIW, I believe the RD04 Africa Twin fuel tap has the same thread, although it only has on/off, but no reserve.

I have a Transalp oem fuel tap in front of me. My veneer caliper tells me the thread is 12mm. Great, I think to myselfÖ But after a very brief search on Google, it appears there are 1mm, 1.25mm and 1.5mm (and possibly more) pitch 12mm threads on after market fuel taps. My veneer caliper doesnít fit in the ďnutĒ hole of the fuel tap to measure the pitch.

However I donít have the bike handy. (Itís in Estonia (Iím in England) and Iím flying there in 7 days to do a trip to North Cape in Norway). So I canít measure the pitch of the thread on the tank that the tap screws onto.

Can anyone help with the thread size/pitch I need to buy?

I really appreciate a quick reply. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Chris
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #11862
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,866
[QUOTE=ChrisUK;16560371] Hi guys
Hope someone can help. Without going into the whole story, I’m looking to replace my 1987 Pd06 Transalp fuel tap from the oem one with the stupid (IMHO) vacuum hose attachment (that magically turns the fuel off when it wants to… not when I want to, and hence my bike stops when I don’t want it to…) to one that has no vacuum feed from the cylinder head, just gravity.

FWIW, I believe the RD04 Africa Twin fuel tap has the same thread, although it only has on/off, but no reserve.

I have a Transalp oem fuel tap in front of me. My veneer caliper tells me the thread is 12mm. Great, I think to myself… But after a very brief search on Google, it appears there are 1mm, 1.25mm and 1.5mm (and possibly more) pitch 12mm threads on after market fuel taps. My veneer caliper doesn’t fit in the “nut” hole of the fuel tap to measure the pitch.

However I don’t have the bike handy. (It’s in Estonia (I’m in England) and I’m flying there in 7 days to do a trip to North Cape in Norway). So I can’t measure the pitch of the thread on the tank that the tap screws onto.

Can anyone help with the thread size/pitch I need to buy?

I really appreciate a quick reply. Many thanks in advance.

Chris,

Don't make this a bigger task than it need be, your current petcock system simply has a vacuum leak, more than likely it is the hose running to the rear cylinder. It could also be a damaged (cracked) brass vacuum port on the rear cylinder or a leak on the petcock itself although that is unlikely. I have seen these brass fittings crack off at their base leaving the threaded portion in the cylinder head, not a easy situation to resolve.

If you are still determined to do away with the vacuum feature then take the petcock apart, move the coil spring to the opposite side of the diaphragm and it will hold the petcock in a "opened" position all the time. You will want to cut off the valve when not in use just as a precautionary measure. Do this and you will still retain your reserve feature.

That's all there is to it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #11863
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
To the buyer: if you decide to part it out contact me, Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #11864
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
I used a 3M product designed for protecting headlights and is 1/8" thick, clear plastic with adhesive on one side, just cut it to shape and stuck it on.

Rick
http://www.aerostich.com/14-mil-headlight-shield.html
here are sheets of it. heat it w/ hair dryer for curved surfaces
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #11865
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,853
Chris,

I have fitted a XR250 petcock onto the Transalp tank (PD06) and also fitted this same petcock onto an RD04 tank. I would conclude, therefore, that the standard RD04 valve will fit the TA tank since the diameter and thread pitch will be identical.

I like manual fuel valves too.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote