Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlefish View Post
Thanks, will see if they can ship to Canada. Is this the part number:

T-Stat: 19300-KE8-000

O-Ring: 91311-KE8-000

Will check locally as well if these are the numbers. Thanks again.
Those are the part numbers I ordered (and installed), yes.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #11957
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Can you post a photo of what you have then we can filling in the missing details?

If this tank has been sealed with any of the tank sealers then it is possible that the main fuel strainer tube is still stuck up inside your tanks drain hole. If the tank has been sealed and the drain port was not wiped clean of the sealer then the inside diameter is reduced causing the tube to stick when you remove the petcock.

Inside the main fuel strainer tube is a smaller diameter white tube that is about half the length of the strainer tube. It is this inside tube that operates the reserve function. The only thing that "holds" the main strainer tube into the petcock is the smaller white internal reserve feed tube and the O ring that fits around the outside of the main fuel strainer tube.

When the petcock is installed and tightened this O ring is compressed holding the tube by friction. More impotantly IF the O ring is missing then you have NO seal at the base of the strainer tube which allows fuel to drain from the tube base and by passing any reserve function which means when you try to put the tank on reserve you will not find one and your tank is empty, a harsh lesson. Also when assembling the main strainer tube you need to make sure it is "seated" properly in the petcock, this too will cause the reserve feature to be none existant.

Can you roll the tank around or shake it to listen for a tube rolling around in there?
Images
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #11958
mas335
xendurist

image 2
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #11959
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Can you post a photo of what you have then we can filling in the missing details?

If this tank has been sealed with any of the tank sealers then it is possible that the main fuel strainer tube is still stuck up inside your tanks drain hole. If the tank has been sealed and the drain port was not wiped clean of the sealer then the inside diameter is reduced causing the tube to stick when you remove the petcock.

Inside the main fuel strainer tube is a smaller diameter white tube that is about half the length of the strainer tube. It is this inside tube that operates the reserve function. The only thing that "holds" the main strainer tube into the petcock is the smaller white internal reserve feed tube and the O ring that fits around the outside of the main fuel strainer tube.

When the petcock is installed and tightened this O ring is compressed holding the tube by friction. More impotantly IF the O ring is missing then you have NO seal at the base of the strainer tube which allows fuel to drain from the tube base and by passing any reserve function which means when you try to put the tank on reserve you will not find one and your tank is empty, a harsh lesson. Also when assembling the main strainer tube you need to make sure it is "seated" properly in the petcock, this too will cause the reserve feature to be none existant.

Can you roll the tank around or shake it to listen for a tube rolling around in there?
Thank you for your most helpful reply. I did post some pictures late last night over on Transalp.org. Since you have made clear here what my problem is, I don't see any point in posting them again here, it would just take up bandwidth. My issue is that I don't have that internal, shorter, solid white tube. I will have to find some tubing to create a replacement. I find it aggravating that this tube does not show up on any parts diagram!

Yes, I searched the insides of both my tanks for this. Pretty clearly I never had either this or the filter tube.

Now it will be interesting to see if my POR-15 treatment messes up my ability to fit that filter tube in. I may end up with only the solid inner tube, and depending on my downstream inline filter to keep out crud.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #11960
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Thank you for your most helpful reply. I did post some pictures late last night over on Transalp.org. Since you have made clear here what my problem is, I don't see any point in posting them again here, it would just take up bandwidth. My issue is that I don't have that internal, shorter, solid white tube. I will have to find some tubing to create a replacement. I find it aggravating that this tube does not show up on any parts diagram! I think it is part of the filter tube assembly and should have come with the filter tube.

Yes, I searched the insides of both my tanks for this. Pretty clearly I never had either this or the filter tube.

Now it will be interesting to see if my POR-15 treatment messes up my ability to fit that filter tube in. Test fit the tube first, if it does not slide in easily then take a round file and lightly file the inside if the petcock drain tube to remove the POR15 that dried in there. Try to draw the file outwards to minimize the POR15 residue in the tank. If the filter tube is tight you run the risk of getting it stuck then when you try to pull it out it can crack off, don't ask me how I know. Rinse the tank out to get rid of any trash left from this filing. I may end up with only the solid inner tube, and depending on my downstream inline filter to keep out crud.
Hope this answers your question about the reserve function for your tank.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #11961
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
I think it is part of the filter tube assembly and should have come with the filter tube.
It sure seems like it should have, but nope. The filter tube came sealed in a plastic packet with the little O-ring and the small black sort of collar thing that I shoved into the end of the filter tube. No other inner tube, and since the packet was sealed, I don't think it could have just casually gotten lost. I unsealed that packet just the other evening when I went to install the parts.

I think I will have to pull that inner black ring back out. My guess is that it is for some other application.

Can you tell me if the small inner tube is just straight, round tube, or does it have any weirdness going on that I can't see in the picture (e.g. flaring out or who knows what?)
Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #11962
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Corbin seat and mra windscreen in flea market

Parts are from a 1989
For the seat:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=transalp

I also have a clear MRA windscreen in good shap, taller than the Givi, single contour so it could be modified, 18" tall, 12" wide at the top. $45 obo.

pdxthmper screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 06:30 AM
pdxthmper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #11963
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Got a picture of the screen? I'd definitely be interested,

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #11964
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Dave

Dave, wishing for a speedy recovery for you and your bike. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Steve
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #11965
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot
It sure seems like it should have, but nope. The filter tube came sealed in a plastic packet with the little O-ring and the small black sort of collar thing that I shoved into the end of the filter tube. No other inner tube, and since the packet was sealed, I don't think it could have just casually gotten lost. I unsealed that packet just the other evening when I went to install the parts.

I think I will have to pull that inner black ring back out. My guess is that it is for some other application.

Can you tell me if the small inner tube is just straight, round tube, or does it have any weirdness going on that I can't see in the picture (e.g. flaring out or who knows what?)
I was messing around with my fuel valves the other night (switching the spring so that I don't have to run vacuum from the engine anymore). IIRC, the white inner tube has a ferule on the end of it so that the outer yellow-ish tube has a tolerance fit over the white tube. That may be the "black ring" to which you refer. Otherwise, I believe it is just a straight piece of tubing that connects to the fuel valve (in the well, above and to the right of the "crescent moon" opening - see Mark's second picture). If you look closely, you can see the ferule at the top of the reserve (lower) opening, where the screen ends.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #11966
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I was messing around with my fuel valves the other night (switching the spring so that I don't have to run vacuum from the engine anymore). IIRC, the white inner tube has a ferule on the end of it so that the outer yellow-ish tube has a tolerance fit over the white tube. That may be the "black ring" to which you refer. Otherwise, I believe it is just a straight piece of tubing that connects to the fuel valve (in the well, above and to the right of the "crescent moon" opening - see Mark's second picture). If you look closely, you can see the ferule at the top of the reserve (lower) opening, where the screen ends.
Yes, I see that now, and this is consistent with an explanation that was just posted over at transalp.org.

At this point I think I will be doing well to find any tube whatsoever that will fit into that little opening and allow me to have a reserve. I will keep my inline filter downstream and not depend on getting good filtering from the stick filter.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #11967
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
Hi mas335

I'll take this modified petcock with me to Estonia and swap it onto the bike. I'm pretty sure the bike will now start and run much better.
Hi mas355
Modified gravity only petcock fitted and works a charm.

Thanks again!
Chris
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #11968
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
Hi mas355
Modified gravity only petcock fitted and works a charm.

Thanks again!
Chris
You are welcome, Glad it worked for you.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #11969
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
At this point I think I will be doing well to find any tube whatsoever
How 'bout a plastic tube from the inside of a spray bottle. Maybe the correct size?

Or even a bit of brass tubing from a model shop - they come in various diameters. There's aluminum too.

Just throwing ideas around here.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #11970
reltih
TransAlper

Oddometer: 33
what about the straw from somethig like this ?
reltih is offline   Reply With Quote