User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #106
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Thumb Africa Twin...

Hey, great deal on that @. I'm sure you'll improve her a great deal with all the work you plan to do. Actually, it's sounds as if you're going to be a much better owner of it and you deserve her more than some chump who lets her go to pot like that!

Have fun with the "new" ride!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #107
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
Here's a pic of my Pack Mule showing the luggage racks that I made and the spare fuel tank I picked up from an army surplus. The extra fuel usually isn,t neccessary unless my friend with the R80GS is with us.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2004, 01:36 PM   #108
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Thumb a few questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanista
Here's a pic of my Pack Mule showing the luggage racks that I made and the spare fuel tank I picked up from an army surplus. The extra fuel usually isn,t neccessary unless my friend with the R80GS is with us.

Nice! Is that the flat green paint from crylon? Looks cool!

Nice rack! -is that OK to say to a another guy? You should weld up some crash bars for it too.

I like the look of your TA. Very butch!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #109
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

one more...

Oh yeah... is that just the stock seat with a custom cover?

I'm in the process of try to modify a used factory seat. I'd love to install some good foam (like a Corbin shape) and fit over a new cover.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #110
Mechanista
manic depressive

Well... I figure it's too late for the crash bars (hence the paint job) definitely not a virgin, she's gone down on me on many an occasion. The seat is a corbin that has a custom cover (thanks to a crash on hy191 no. of Moab). But it is still my favorite bike to take on long trips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Nice! Is that the flat green paint from crylon? Looks cool!

Nice rack! -is that OK to say to a another guy? You should weld up some crash bars for it too.

I like the look of your TA. Very butch!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #111
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Paint

How has the crylon flat green paint held up? Any flakes or peeling off? How's you prep those plastics bits?

I saw that crylon makes a paint for plastics, but never have seen a OD green color for it.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS I've often thought that having some damaged panels bed liner sprayed would be the way to go. Heavy, but cool! I saw another post where a dude did that with his 640 Adventure with good results.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #112
Mechanista
manic depressive

The paint was a bomb can type I picked up at a mil. surplus store and I can't remember if there was even a brand on it. Most of the prep was just simply sanding everything really well ( of which the road did a good portion)! The paint has been on for two years and is staying on real well, it's just a pain in the ass to wax.(HA)
Quote:
How has the crylon flat green paint held up? Any flakes or peeling off? How's you prep those plastics bits?

I saw that crylon makes a paint for plastics, but never have seen a OD green color for it.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS I've often thought that having some damaged panels bed liner sprayed would be the way to go. Heavy, but cool! I saw another post where a dude did that with his 640 Adventure with good results.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #113
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wink Again...

I just looked at that photo of your bike again... Damn! I really think it looks great! I know some TA purists will argue, but who cares! I mean, it's not like you can't buy those body panels anymore if you decided to go back to stock.

I'm taking one of my TAs and turning it into a super light (as possible) enduro machine. This will be taking some time to do. I'm looking into several big ass plastic tanks that will work with the stock radiators to start with. I will then base everything else around the tanks. A couple tanks of interest are the XR650R Acerbis Baja 6 gal. and the KLR650 Military 6.6 gal.

I'm into long range riding without fuel stations around so I need that big of a tank. Well, I guess I could get by with a 5 gal., but wouldn't a 6+ gal. tank look the shit?! I mean, if I'm going 5... may as well go all the way!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Are those TKC80 tires you're running? If so, how do you like them on the TA? How many miles are you getting out of those?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #114
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked oh yeah...

I'm kind of a fan of that color... I painted my old 1965 Land Rover the same way! OD GREEN ROCKS!!!!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
'65 Land Rover IIA
Van., WA USA
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-28-2004, 11:11 PM   #115
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
I'm taking one of my TAs and turning it into a super light (as possible) enduro machine. This will be taking some time to do. I'm looking into several big ass plastic tanks that will work with the stock radiators to start with. I will then base everything else around the tanks. A couple tanks of interest are the XR650R Acerbis Baja 6 gal. and the KLR650 Military 6.6 gal.

I'm into long range riding without fuel stations around so I need that big of a tank. Well, I guess I could get by with a 5 gal., but wouldn't a 6+ gal. tank look the shit?! I mean, if I'm going 5... may as well go all the way!
Modrover, a German company, Africa Queens was manufacturing large aftermarket tanks for the 'alp. They were made of synthetic material and held something like 32 ltr and 40 ltr of fuel. The tanks extend down further on the sides and require a fuel pump, like from a small Suzuki I recall. Not cheap though. Think they were roughly $900 for the 31 ltr tank. I think I still have the link on another computer, which I will post later.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #116
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
Modrover, a German company, Africa Queens was manufacturing large aftermarket tanks for the 'alp. They were made of synthetic material and held something like 32 ltr and 40 ltr of fuel. The tanks extend down further on the sides and require a fuel pump, like from a small Suzuki I recall. Not cheap though. Think they were roughly $900 for the 31 ltr tank. I think I still have the link on another computer, which I will post later.

Hey, thanks for thinking of me... I've already got that Africa Queens saved as a favorite!

I've seen those tanks. Beautiful! I've also heard that the quality control isn't that great for the non-rotomold types from them. Ah, well... they cost more than I can even consider.

I hope I can find a big plastic tank local (USA) that'll work on the TA. I've done a similar project on the Sherpa I sold so I'm familiar with the one-off fabrication needed to make something like this happen.

It sure would be easier if everyone just donated their unused tanks to me!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #117
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Wicked Hey!!!!

Hey TA guys and gals (any gals out there?)... we are just 15 or so posts away from being the TOP Thread in the Big Mean Nasty! YEAH!

Keep them coming... I think it's very cool that the Transalp (fifteen year old bike) is still making the big headlines!

Damn, we are just a bunch of kickass people! Pat yourself on the back for keeping that TA alive!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #118
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,257
Modrover, re your off road TA, I have an extra set of XR650 forks if you want to try to see if they are for you , you probably read the post in yahoo about the swap, you could lower them also to what height you need. I can either drop 'em off or ups them, dont pay 'til you OK 'em, hell even if you do take a month or two to pay if you want, $80 plus ship, these will need going through and some triple clamps, happy to send photos
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:27 PM   #119
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking Highwaychile...

Hey, thanks for the offer on the forks. I'm putting the off-road facelift on a bit of hold as I had to buy some new CDI units.

I had one going bad and just thought I'd replace both. Keep one as a good spare and try to do the solder fix on the bad one. I did order the newer style cushion to hold the CDI units. It's only like $8 and it turns them 180 degrees so you'll never have the seat touching them again.

Yeah, keep those forks around. I don't know when I'll actually have any cash. Those CDI units must be made of GOLD for what they cost!

I'm not sure the direction I'm going on the sus., but it does appear that the XR forks are the choice to use. Don't feel bad if you need to sell or something as I just don't: a) have any money and b) know what I'm doing.

So, I'm broke now, but at least I can ride!

Thanks for thinking of me, GOOD MAN,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Do you know of anyone selling a used Corbin TA seat? I know... I'm broke, but I'd at least like to know if there is one floating about for the future.

PSS How far are you from Seattle or Vancouver?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 05-31-2004, 09:33 AM   #120
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,257
1.25-1.5 hr north of seattle, near la connor.
I bought 2 CDI from ron ayers, one of mine had died, sold the other on ebay a while back, I have a dead one I am going to try the fix.

re the seat, corbins are a bit hard for me, I have a left over foam, gel coversion for a KLR I might try to fit, go it from dual-star, it doesnt have the step like the stocker, the corbin tends to have a hard step, not for me if road gets rough.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...gel%20seat.htm

the fork swap doesnt look too hard, it would be nice a get one more inch or so of travel, meaning the rear must rise, winter project for sure
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote