User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #12496
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
sadly, it's not me ;-(

Sadly, this is not me but a nice guy called Simon who is now in Senegal (end of the first leg).

I thought his trip, prep, skills and determination are worth being promoted here. I'm only supporting him mentally.

Hi website is all in French but there are good links in the photos / videos section:

Link to his Blog

Nevertheless, I'll take the invitation when I'll be in the west coast. Family used to leave in US some years back (before I started riding), but not anymore. So the opportunity are further apart to visit US now.

Cheers,

Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Thomas,

That wasn't "rough" that was magic.

We want to see most of the "in-between" steps. That's the fun part.

Please let me know when you'll be in the Nevada/California/USA west coast portion of your trip.

You've got a place to stay and a garage with tools and Transalp experience at my place. Just tell me when you'll be here.

If you want to use me as a tools/tires/chain/oil/filter etc cache I can help you with that also.
ThomasOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #12497
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOz View Post
Sadly, this is not me but a nice guy called Simon who is now in Senegal (end of the first leg).

I thought his trip, prep, skills and determination are worth being promoted here. I'm only supporting him mentally.

Cheers,

Thomas

Wow,
If anyone here reads French, happens to follow Simon's progress and finds out that his trek on the North East coast of the US changes and takes him into Maine, please pass along that he has a place to stop here if he needs it. Garage, Translp company (but not like his... ) Tools, spare room, meal etc.
I would be honored to help out. What an adventure...!

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #12498
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

I read his blog and follow him daily since I've discovered him on the French Transalp forum.

After crossing Mauritania in a rush (reports are that it is not safe to camp out there), he's been stuck few weeks in Senegal by three major travel events:

- Blew up his gearbox

- Got his wallet stolen with his passport, visa, insurances, vaccins book...

- Met a pretty girl called Marie .

But apparently, his bike is fixed, his paper work is ready and .... mmm ....

Anyway, he said he's ready to take on the road again shortly.

I'll try to remember when in 2 years time, he rolls up/down the east coast.

Cheers,
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Wow,
If anyone here reads French, happens to follow Simon's progress and finds out that his trek on the North East coast of the US changes and takes him into Maine, please pass along that he has a place to stop here if he needs it. Garage, Translp company (but not like his... ) Tools, spare room, meal etc.
I would be honored to help out. What an adventure...!

Best,
Rob
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #12499
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,624
Quote:

I'll try to remember when in 2 years time, he rolls up/down the east coast.

Cheers,
Thomas
Wow, been quite an adventure already then...

Thanks, hope your memory is good.

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #12500
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Does anyone have an extra stock spark plug socket they'd be willing to part with?

My bike didn't have one when I bought it and I've found out the hard way trying to remove the secondary plugs that what I have isn't working well.

Cheers,
Rick
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #12501
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Don't have a spare but the Honda p/n is 89216-MJ1-000 and the socket works with a lot of the XR series of dirt bikes as well as the Honda Hawk, not just the TA. Online prices run about $15 and up but shipping to you in Canada will probably be nearly as much as the socket itself.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #12502
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Picked up a set of forks off of Thunder Dan and did an oil change on them today.

I used the 5 weight as recommended by the manual but just wondering if this is the best weight to use with the heavier springs and Emulators fitted to them,

Fitted to an 87 600 Transalp, and I weight 100 kg.

Thanks.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #12503
SwedeMix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
It's slowly coming together!

Ok, so I kept fiddling a bit, this is were it's at as of today:

And now it's starting to get colder, so the riding-season is basically over now. Garagetime!
But over all, I'm really pleased with the behaviour of the bike now, just have to figure out a windshield for windprotection
It was a bit drafty over 80-90kph, good cruisecontrol though as I'm reluctant to go faster than that! And the headlight has to go, it was actually from an 80's ktm, I think I'll go more up to date with that. I do have a 10" giant searchlight with an h4 high/low in it, that might just be the ticket to good light-conditions! We'll see what gets done, way to many ideas to get it all done by the time the roads are snowfree again...
This is what my garage looked like last winter, not looking forward to the shoveling..:

And yes, it's a car under all the snow, my poor Volvo 745 got her feet cold..

// Mix

SwedeMix screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 06:49 AM
SwedeMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #12504
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Anyone need OEM Honda fork seals for a TA or NX650?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2656649991.html

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #12505
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
But apparently, his bike is fixed, his paper work is ready and .... mmm ....
Anyway, he said he's ready to take on the road again shortly.
He is back on track, left Senegal and currently in Gambia.
Bike HERE

Map HERE

Photos HERE

Videos HERE

Cheers,
Thomas
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #12506
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
Hey Clockwatcher how about a few pics of your new bike seat please.
Thanks,
Bob
Hey Bob, The seat that Dianna "fixed" was the corbin I have on the AT. She recontoured the front 1/3 section by adding foam thus raising the front section, then removed foam from the middle 1/3 lowering the middle. the next step she added comfort foam to the front 2/3rds and recovered the entire seat with top grade vinyl cover stitched to fit the new contour of the seat. Basicly creating a flat place to sit, no more sliding into the tank while riding.
Very comfortable, I tested it on a 1200mi road trip. Other than my old bones creaking from 500 mi days the seat worked great.
If I remember correctly we met on the BRP at an overlook, you looked my AT over for a while......
Have you seen the post about the Spring Transalp Rally?
Russ
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #12507
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,925
Hi Russ, I think it would really help if a actual Ralley date can be decided on.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #12508
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMix View Post
Ok, so I kept fiddling a bit, this is were it's at as of today:

And now it's starting to get colder, so the riding-season is basically over now. Garagetime!
But over all, I'm really pleased with the behaviour of the bike now, just have to figure out a windshield for windprotection
It was a bit drafty over 80-90kph, good cruisecontrol though as I'm reluctant to go faster than that! And the headlight has to go, it was actually from an 80's ktm, I think I'll go more up to date with that. I do have a 10" giant searchlight with an h4 high/low in it, that might just be the ticket to good light-conditions! We'll see what gets done, way to many ideas to get it all done by the time the roads are snowfree again...
This is what my garage looked like last winter, not looking forward to the shoveling..:

And yes, it's a car under all the snow, my poor Volvo 745 got her feet cold..

// Mix

I think the bike is looking good! The front fender seems a bit too long, but that is just my taste.
As for the snow, I feel your pain. I live in one of the 3 snowiest big cities in the USA (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse NY). We get 100+ inches of snow every winter. 100 inches! 254cm for you guys across the ocean. Maybe I should fit a ski to the front of the Alp. LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #12509
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 480
choke plunger?

Finally got around to taking the Alp apart to ee why my milage sucks and my carbs let fuel pass. Got it all apart and unlike what the PO documented, the setup is stock. He had a Dynojet kit in there at some time, but stock is what I found........ BUT when I removed the carbs I had to remove the choke cables from them. There was nothing inside.
On my HawkGT the plunger for the choke stays attached to the cables. On the Alp it looks like the part that stays attached to the cable is flat and from what I can make out on all of the crappy little diagrams online the plunger is a separate piece that is free floating I would call it.
Does anyone have a better diagram and/or has torn apart their carbs to verify this for me?
The choke has not worked on the bike since I got it and when the bike is turned off and placed on its kickstand the bike will flood if a restart is attempted.
I am guessing that with no plunger in there the fuel has been allowed to flow out of the choke opening when the bike is on it's kickstand and this leads to the flooding. I appreciate the help!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #12510
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,926
The "choke" (quotes cause it's really NOT a choke) circuit on the carbs should have small brass plungers attached to the cables. The springs keep the plungers pressed against the cable ends.

Each brass plunger must also have a small black seal on the end that contacts the carb body to....uhmmmm seal.

The photo here also shows that I've ungraded my springs to stronger ones to make certain the plungers stay put when OFF. The thin wire spring is the standard Honda part.

It would appear you were running just a bit on the rich side....wow...credit to the TA to even run at all like that.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote