Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #12556
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
Over sized Pegs would be #1, always suprised how much nicer they are.
Then Bars /risers have to get the ergos right for you and your riding.
Then crash bars (plastic is expensive) and or engine bash plate.
Pegz have been ordered, should be here next week! Thanks
ThomasOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #12557
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Here is mine, it is sorely missed, what a fun bike it was....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyimp View Post
What do I see behind your TA is that a Yamaha RD 350? a friend of mine back in the days in Manila, Philippines had one of those and it was a beast of a bike. Blowing everyone even my friends Honda Goldwing. Please indulge me with more pics.
Attached Images

Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #12558
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,399
Yesterday ride...

Meet the lady...

Long gone classic...

The cold front that hit the mainland last week, arrived this morning creating windy conditions in the mountains...a tree fell and blocked us....the good news, a great spot for some pictures, the bad, going up the hill...some spots had concrete instead of tar because of a 45 degrees slope....very slippery, plus some small debris from trees...but we managed to get back.

A nice oasis...

Then, after riding the hills, we rode down to Boquerón...for a refreshing break, before riding back....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 03:51 PM
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #12559
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,399
Two ladies in red....

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #12560
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider View Post
Two ladies in red....

Nice Loco .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #12561
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,537
Hawk rotor

I installed the 320mm Hawk GT rotor and M.A.P. caliper adapter this afternoon... easy as it gets, couldn't even finish a beer doin' it...

The M.A.P. kit is spot on, bolts included.

I won't be able to give you a review until Wednesday, gonna rain tomorrow and I will use the rain Guzzi.... Better weather protection and it is already filthy from riding the back roads with sand and crap on them...
Maybe it will get a little cleaner by riding in teh rain...

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #12562
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,594
I've got this in Fleamarket but thought I'd bring to the top in case one of you is interested. Newly professionally painted. Transalp front fender:
$45 plus shipping from Utah.

Oh and a brand new, very rare, hard to find Acerbis silver mx fender:
$30

PM me.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #12563
Freakdaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Transalp- Nt650 Engine

Ok, I have hit a wall with the engine transplant and need help from the Transalp brain trust. Engine is in place and starts up no problemo. After starting and warm up when I try to crack throttle engine bogs and dies. The slides do not seen to be lifting. Nt-650 carbs have been cleaned and rejetted per Hord's recommendations for use with Uni pod filters. Diaphragms are in good condition and I have checked float level. I have tried different(smaller) jets.The vacuum line from one cylinder is attached to petcock and other cylinder port is blocked off. Is a line from carbs supposed to tie into the other vacuum port to allow the CV carbs to lift the slides? All hoses appear to be connected to carbs,fuel line, carb vent, and secondary filters. Help please as I want to wrap up this project which has been gathering dust and I want to just ride the thing!!!
Freakdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #12564
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Is a line from carbs supposed to tie into the other vacuum port to allow the CV carbs to lift the slides?
NO.

Give us a few photos of carbs and line routing.

You should be able to blow gently into the vent tubes to make the slides rise. If you can't do this, you either have a vent routed incorrectly or the diaphragms aren't assembled correctly in the carb bodies or the carb tops aren't assembled correctly.

On the standard TA carbs there is a small "dent" in the carb top that has to be aligned with a small bleed hole in the top of the carb body.

It's easy to fold or pinch the diaphragms edge when installing. The easiest way to install them is to lift the slide about 1/2 inch or so with your finger through the carb throat and then place the top over the diaphragm with the other hand. This lets the diaphragms form a gentle bend and lets the edges go into the grooves. If the slides are all the way down, the diaphragms tends to pull out of the slots when you put the caps on.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #12565
Freakdaddy
Adventurer

Transalp Nt650 Engine

Ladder-the diaphragms are in good shape andcorrectly installed in groove with tit in the side groove. When I raise them with my finger they make the controlled drop and when I blow into tubes, they raise.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #12566
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

OK...so the slides are working.

I'm assuming that the engine will start and idle since you refer to a "warm-up".

Is this true?

If yes, then the engine will idle but not pick up revs?

Have you tried increasing throttle with the enrichener circuit ("choke") open?

What did you do with the ignition triggering incompatabilities? Are you using TA CDIs? Maybe timing advance or triggering is the problem.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 08:33 PM
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #12567
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 415
Check the stuff that Ladder mentioned he knows a lot about these bikes and carb issues .He helped me to trouble shoot mine and was spot on . Remember GT650 carbs are taller than TA carbs , you will need a fuel pump ( Mikuni vacuum pump works just fine) or you have to fill the tank all the way to the top while testing it .
If you can rev the engine while the choke is on and it stalls when you rev it with the choke off, then you running too lean on the mains , but honestly try to fill the gas tank all the way to the top and try to rev it then , I think it's your fuel delivery. I had similar issue when I was building my AT. Let us know what you find.
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #12568
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

My problem will be that I'm not at all familiar with the NT650 Hawk (other than I know what one is).

Dunno anything about how those carbs are plumbed or what happens when you stick them onto a TA.

Great info about the carbs being taller. Is this because of the actual carb body or are the rubber intake stacks taller also?

A few photos would really help us help you.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #12569
Freakdaddy
Adventurer

Transalp Nt 650 engine

Ladder and Lucasteam-engine starts up fine. Choke doesnt help and I switched over to NT-650 plungers BTW. When I try to ckak the throttle it stumles and dies. I am using NT-650 harness and CDI-coils etc per engine swap recomendations. I have owned this TA since '90 and do all work myself.If it aint the carbs the electronics would be my next route but short of buying replacement parts I have already checked all the stupid stuff in ignition system. I will try and fill tank as that is easy and I just have a little fuel in it to ease working on motor. It is stock tank and I thought you only needed fuel pump for Africa Twin tank.Nt-650 carbs don't appear any taller and intake rubbers are the same as TA. I will take some pics this weekend.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #12570
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

The full tank test sounds like a good idea.

I use an old coolant catch tank from a car as an aux tank. It has an outlet on the bottom and a screw top. Attach a fuel line with a bit of brass or copper tubing at the end and plug into your existing fuel line when the tank is gone.

I can hang this tank from the bars, see the fuel level in it and use is to adjust and sync carbs so I don't have the normal fuel tank in the way.

You can pick these up new at a parts place or used at a wreckers for pretty cheap. You have to root around to find one a reasonable size and shape. Other guys I've seen use clutch or brake mastercylinder reservoirs for the same thing.

That way your certain fuel is going into the carbs.

Can you list the Hord jetting recommendations you are using?