Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #12721
ujeni
just doesn't get it

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
-The only crash bars I can find are the Givi ones listed on the Happy Trails website. Happy Trails claims you need "slight modification" to fit the 89-90 model. Does anybody know the deal here? Is it a big deal or not so much?

-I found a Motech bash guard. Are there other options I should look into? Is it worth having? I see that it basically replaces the plastic one that comes with the bike.

-LUGGAGE!! Searching forums hasn't been particularly helpful in this case because it seems some products are no longer available. Happy Trails has a few options using the SU side rack. Is there a current alternative I am not aware of? I like the looks of this rack and the various cases they offer with it, but I'd like to shop around. The aluminum cases are probably best but I am not crazy about spending that kind of money!

-Any feedback on the Corbin seat? The one on my bike is not in great condition and is somewhat uncomfortable. It kind of points me down into the gas tank.

That's about it for now. Realistically I won't be buying all this stuff too soon just because it will collectively cost a lot, but these are the things I would eventually like to have for the bike. Thanks for any advice. I know people have asked these kinds of questions many times but I believe the offerings on the market are changing and I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Happy motoring
Congrats on the new ride! I'll try to answer a few of your questions...others will have thoughts too for sure...the Transalp community is always here to help! You are zeroing in on the best mods for the transalp in my opinion.

The givi crashbars might be to only crash bars being made today for your bike. Cheap insurance...cause finding new plastic will be very tough (and expensive).

I have the SWMotech aluminum guard on my current transalp and I had it on my previous transalp. SUPER sturdy (though there could be more mounting points...you can always add some if you like). Every time I hear a rock hit it I smile...the plastic guard probably would not have survived some of the bigger ones!

I had Happy Trails aluminum panniers on my first transalp. Other use soft luggage or givi plastic luggage. All have their advantages. I really liked the happy trails bags myself. Simple and very sturdy.

The corbin seat is another great mod. Loads of comfort....thought it looks like your seat has already been modified to some extent. I had a corbin on my first transalp...I have the original seat on my current transalp and use an airhawk of long trips.

My first Transalp has all the mods you listed, so here is a pic for ya!

ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #12722
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,568
Hey JB, I nearly bough that one last year for a back up TA but like you a couple of other projects needed my attention... I too have CB 550's, love 'em.

Anyway, I was going to outfit the TA with TKC-80's and use it off road wher I wiould not take the nice one.

Well cool, have fun with it.

Rob

Quote:
Hi! I just bought one of these big bitches this past November

Happy motoring

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC

radguzzi screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 05:56 PM
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #12723
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Quote:

snip....
Anyway, my goal is to outfit this bike with the necessary accessories for local (for now) adventure tours. That means I would like crash bars, a bash guard, a Givi windscreen, Corbin seat and perhaps most importantly, some luggage.
Here are my questions:

-The only crash bars I can find are the Givi ones listed on the Happy Trails website. Happy Trails claims you need "slight modification" to fit the 89-90 model. Does anybody know the deal here? Is it a big deal or not so much?

-I found a Motech bash guard. Are there other options I should look into? Is it worth having? I see that it basically replaces the plastic one that comes with the bike.

That's about it for now. Realistically I won't be buying all this stuff too soon just because it will collectively cost a lot, but these are the things I would eventually like to have for the bike. Thanks for any advice. I know people have asked these kinds of questions many times but I believe the offerings on the market are changing and I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Happy motoring
I put the Givi crashguards on mine... Not a big problem. You will need a longer through bolt where the guard bolts to the engine mount. I bought a bunch of 'em in stronger than the standard hardware store ratings. Send me a pm when you get to that point and I'll send you one. Also where the two halves bolt to each other under the steering head it's good to strengthen that connection (be creative) and there is a tab of plastic that has to be cut off the grid that is stock on the bike. I think all that is well covered in the instructions that come with the guards.

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #12724
Motoswami
Motoswami

Oddometer: 80
Euro-bike microfiche

Does anyone have a URL for free microfiche parts diagrams for non-US models? I specifically need microfiche for the Africa Twin, RD04
Motoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #12725
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoswami View Post
Does anyone have a URL for free microfiche parts diagrams for non-US models? I specifically need microfiche for the Africa Twin, RD04

Best I've found.

http://www.cmsnl.com/
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #12726
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Hey JB, I nearly bough that one last year for a back up TA but like you a couple of other projects needed my attention... I too have CB 550's, love 'em.

Anyway, I was going to outfit the TA with TKC-80's and use it off road wher I wiould not take the nice one.

Well cool, have fun with it.

Rob
I stumbled on it from here in NY and was trying to buy it too. Even got a few texts from the guy then he disappeared. LMAO. Guy could've started a bidding war it looks like.

On the questions a few posts up, I have the Givi crash bars that I need to mount ASAP. I agree, cheap insurance. I am interested in the Givi wing racks. I plan on using soft bags so they are a great design and they look like they are decent in a tip over at a lower cost than Happy trails. But I can't find anything listed as fitting the bike even though I've found part numbers on here. Corbins are on all 6 of my bikes. I have a Cogent Dynamics shock and plan to someday get to the forks to do work on them. Congrats on the bike!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #12727
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
[QUOTE=. I agree, cheap insurance. I am interested in the Givi wing racks. I plan on using soft bags so they are a great design and they look like they are decent in a tip over at a lower cost than Happy trails. But I can't find anything listed as fitting the bike even though I've found part numbers on here. QUOTE]

I just finished mounting a used set of wing racks that I think have been down before, they mount nice enough but are not a sturdy as I had hoped, I have Pak Meister panniers mounted to them, and unloaded they flex quite a bit. I am planning on adding a rear loop to stiffen up the back (like every other rack).

i have a giant loop bag that I have used on my XR650L, it is a very neat design based on your needs there are 2 or 3 sizes available now, and you don't need a rack. i haven't tried to fit it to the TA, but it should fit pretty good, after I finish my valve adjustment I can check if anyone is intersted.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #12728
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
[QUOTE

i have a giant loop bag that I have used on my XR650L, it is a very neat design based on your needs there are 2 or 3 sizes available now, and you don't need a rack. i haven't tried to fit it to the TA, but it should fit pretty good, after I finish my valve adjustment I can check if anyone is intersted.[/QUOTE]

Please post some pics of the GL on the TA

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #12729
quint7
I don't need a title

[QUOTE=pdxthmper;17711258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by . I agree, cheap insurance. I am interested in the Givi wing racks. I plan on using soft bags so they are a great design and they look like they are decent in a tip over at a lower cost than Happy trails. But I can't find anything listed as fitting the bike even though I've found part numbers on here. QUOTE

I just finished mounting a used set of wing racks that I think have been down before, they mount nice enough but are not a sturdy as I had hoped, I have Pak Meister panniers mounted to them, and unloaded they flex quite a bit. I am planning on adding a rear loop to stiffen up the back (like every other rack).

i have a giant loop bag that I have used on my XR650L, it is a very neat design based on your needs there are 2 or 3 sizes available now, and you don't need a rack. i haven't tried to fit it to the TA, but it should fit pretty good, after I finish my valve adjustment I can check if anyone is intersted.

Thanks for the Wingrack review. I had been looking at pics online last night and agree that a cross brace would make them a much more solid option. Givi's Italian site (the main one) still lists the tube racks for sale but I haven't seen them anywhere. Happy Trail's looks awesome but is $300 I think and that's a boatload to provide something to keep soft bags off of the exhaust and provide a little crash protection. Anyone know where I can order the Givi's? I think it is PL131 for the tube racks and it shows them fitting the 94-96 600 Transalp which I think has the same tail end as the US TA's.

http://www.givi.it/Accessori-moto/?m...ransalp-94--96
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #12730
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post

Please post some pics of the GL on the TA
Here's my "sort of" 89 TA with Giant Loop's largest model, the Great Basin. If you have very sharp eyes you may see that I had to extend the lower straps with loops of rope to reach the rear passenger pegs. I believe that my particular model is an older version that was sitting in a vendor's warehouse for a while, that newer models have longer straps there. (Side note -- I wanted yellow, but was shopping during the gulf oil spill cleanup, and was informed that GL was making only black at the time, because all the yellow and orange rubberized fabric in the nation had been made into oil booms for the cleanup. It took a lot of calling around to find this one model).

I find that it snuggles against my back reasonably well. I try not to slouch back against it, as my lower back ends up very unhappy if I don't hold myself upright. You can't see them here, but there are three straps on the top of the bag that run down behind the bag, around various parts of my luggage rack, and back up to cinch buckles on the bag. These hold the bag back and down.

Another view:
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.

tgeliot screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 08:15 AM
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #12731
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Thanks for the GL pics looks good

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12732
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I had it on my '91 Transalp, kind of cool but I had to just remember to turn the headlight switch on sometimes ( N.C. state law).

It also had a 'parking" light switch feature which was inside the headlamp.
Out of interest, is it an easy swap and are the connectors the same between the european and canadian/US models?
I've got an import but want to swap over to a switch that allows me to turn the lights off (useful when trying to loose the cops)
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #12733
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Out of interest, is it an easy swap and are the connectors the same between the european and canadian/US models?
I've got an import but want to swap over to a switch that allows me to turn the lights off (useful when trying to loose the cops)
The 91 Euro switch plugged right into the US harness but I can't know if it will do the same for 87/88 Canadian bikes. You will have one loose connector which would have plugged into the harness for the parking light but just tape it off and ignore it.

You should be able to determine if the US and Canadian Transalps use the same turn signal switch and if so then I don't see why the 91 would not work just as well.

The switch did NOT cut off all the lights, just the headlamp which can be done with a separate switch. Sorry but the cops will still be able to follow your tail lights.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #12734
quint7
I don't need a title

I know when I was in Japan in the late 80's it was considered courtious to turn your headlights off at stop lights so as not to have them blasting across the road into oncoming drivers faces as you waited for the light to change. I always assumed that that is why some EU spec bikes have the ability to kill the headlight with it running. The high beam flash trigger is a great idea. I ride with my high beam on during the day so it doesn't matter, but for the EU where flash to pass is considered normal as opposed to 'aggressive' here I dig it.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #12735
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
With the TA's poor stock headlight one can ride with high beam on during daylight, no problems for others. But some are riding with modern bikes also like that and this is very annoying because light beam is very strong- I got "blinded" few times myself as well.
In my country this is even not allowed actually (to ride with high beam when visibility is good, that is, during daytime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
....I ride with my high beam on during the day so it doesn't matter, but for the EU where flash to pass is considered normal as opposed to 'aggressive' here I dig it.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote