Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #12961
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,895
A quart every 200 miles! That wasn't a engine, more like a oil pump. Glad you got the problem solved.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #12962
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 670
Mas, people that rode behind me asked whether it was a two-stroke. 95% there; will pay a man to attend to the jetting.
Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #12963
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
as a retired police Sergeant and practicing Attorney
You've gone to over to the dark side

Let us know how the jetting turns out. Having the numbers (pilot, main, throttle slide or needle changes) etc will be most helpful to anyone doing this mod in the future.......maybe me.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #12964
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
FX650/SLR650 caliper + 296mm rotor

Did with this conversation last summer ~1000km's (see back somewhere is my posts about this).
Initialy I was concerned will stock single rotor TA's master cylinder be capable to "deal" with a bit bigger caliper (one piston is 32mm, bigger than TA has) and was thinking about getting one from dual rotor model TA's.
After real riding I can say- works perfect! Now I can operate brakes easy with one-two fingers! There is no need to upgrade brake pipes to braided-steel ones, stock rubber ones are completely enough. Still, brakes are not too sharp, easy to feel what is going on and not lock wheel.

Caliper's bracket also sits perfect via washers to fork brackets and is not coming loose.

This is best and simplest upgrade I've done on my TA.

ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #12965
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Can you give us specifics?

What rotor and caliper did you use? Part numbers?

Looks great
Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #12966
ravelv

Ray, don't say you forgot? :) I was writing here some time ago about how to use bigger rotor and some other caliper without making any adapters (adapters are NOT allowed in my country regardless any sertifications anywhere else).
Maybe too long back, but all my mods now are very sloooow, not much time for bikes anymore...

Rotor, any 296mm honda rotor with 6 "standard" Honda pattern. Beware dual setup rotors, they are thinner!
Caliper- SLR650/FX650 hondas. And 2x2mm thick washers with absolutely parallel surfaces, those from regular hardware stores are NOT suitable!!!

This mod is not applicable to US bikes, caliper bracket bolt distance is less than 117mm. This mod works from 1991, when brakes was updated.

My guess then was that on US bikes should work VT500 caliper, but nobody tested that, I also could not get this caliper to verify on some older TA around here... Maybe somebody can this verify finally? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Can you give us specifics?

What rotor and caliper did you use? Part numbers?

Looks great

ravelv screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 02:02 PM
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #12967
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I remember it in general but thanks for the reminder of specific. I knew I was looking for VT500 parts for a reason.

apologies....working with old RAM
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #12968
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
You've gone to over to the dark side

Not really; I work in Divorce Law. Couldn't go on to defend the indefensible, and 26 years of policing made me tired of fighting the bad guys with one arm tied behind my back.

Let us know how the jetting turns out. Having the numbers (pilot, main, throttle slide or needle changes) etc will be most helpful to anyone doing this mod in the future.......maybe me.
If my tuning shop is able to supply these, I will certainly pass them on.

Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #12969
mas335
xendurist

Having owned a 1991 TA I can say there was a noticeable differance in how the front brakes felt from pre '91 US TA's. You can find info on line stateing that the brakes were improved in '91 but I don't think it was in the caliper.

For what I can tell it is the indentical caliper as a NX650 which has smaller brake pads than a TA but does share the same 30mm dual caliper pistons.

I think Honda went to this set up solely to save cost since the NX650 "Dominator" were produced at the same time and nothing else shares the Transalp caliper.

I mixed and matched calipers, standard 276mm rotors and master cylinders on TA's to find just what was making the differance and it was none of the above, it was the brake line. The '91 TA has a one piece rubber brake hose, no fittings with cross over tubes, just one continous line and it was larger in diameter or than the 89/90 hose. I think the heavier line expanded less and that is what produced the firmer feel on the brakes. It wasn't as drastic as the large rotor mod but much improved over the standard 89/90 brake feel.

RAVELV: I have no idea what Honda uses a 296mm rotor but I am glad it worked for you. Seeing your Brembo caliper made me go measure the one that I have, it has two 28mm pistons and came off a KTM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #12970
ravelv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Having owned a 1991 TA I can say there was a noticeable differance in how the front brakes felt from pre '91 US TA's. You can find info on line stateing that the brakes were improved in '91 but I don't think it was in the caliper.
From 91 calipers are also different, you can see this even in pictures- also visually different.

Quote:
I mixed and matched calipers, standard 276mm rotors and master cylinders on TA's to find just what was making the differance and it was none of the above, it was the brake line. The '91 TA has a one piece rubber brake hose, no fittings with cross over tubes, just one continous line and it was larger in diameter or than the 89/90 hose. I think the heavier line expanded less and that is what produced the firmer feel on the brakes. It wasn't as drastic as the large rotor mod but much improved over the standard 89/90 brake feel.
My 94 TA have 3 piece brake line- in the middle there is steel pipe along triple clamps. Though, I don't know anything about diameters.

Quote:
RAVELV: I have no idea what Honda uses a 296mm rotor but I am glad it worked for you. Seeing your Brembo caliper made me go measure the one that I have, it has two 28mm pistons and came off a KTM.
It is easy to find out by looking in German Ebay for Honda bremscheibe, many sellers are posting crossreference tables with all dimensions. I think, I wrote about some particular models in first posts about this mod. But quite a lot of models use these 296mm rotors.

Brembo caliper I have, has 30 and 32mm pistons. Overall this caliper is much better built than Nissin one my TA had. Also replacing pads are simpler now.

All this might seem unnecessary troubles for US guys as you have quite loose regulations about mods, but here in Europe rules are sometimes very drastic.

ravelv screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 04:18 AM
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #12971
vasilispix
n00b

Oddometer: 4
vasilispix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #12972
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilispix View Post
Nice first post, I say somewhere in Germany, who else is up for "Wheres vasilispix?"
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #12973
mas335
xendurist

Greece?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #12974
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
From 91 calipers are also different, you can see this even in pictures- also visually different.

My 94 TA have 3 piece brake line- in the middle there is steel pipe along triple clamps. Though, I don't know anything about diameters.

It is easy to find out by looking in German Ebay for Honda bremscheibe, many sellers are posting crossreference tables with all dimensions. I think, I wrote about some particular models in first posts about this mod. But quite a lot of models use these 296mm rotors.

Brembo caliper I have, has 30 and 32mm pistons. Overall this caliper is much better built than Nissin one my TA had. Also replacing pads are simpler now.

All this might seem unnecessary troubles for US guys as you have quite loose regulations about mods, but here in Europe rules are sometimes very drastic.
Correct, the 91 caliper does look entirely different than the 89/90 but identical to what it looks like on what we refer to as a 88-89 NX650 (dominator) which used a much smaller and thinner 4 bolt rotor.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #12975
FolcoNitro 2KF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
MRA Touren Windshield

This is my old Biondi windshield, 56 cm high.

While this one is my new MRA Touren.
Even if it's less high than the other one, the MRA protects better at cruising speed (i'm 1.98cm long)

XL650V Transalp - (2005) -> http://www.bikepics.com/members/folco/05xl650v
FolcoNitro 2KF is offline   Reply With Quote