Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #13051
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 156
Thanks guys. I'll do the switch in a day or two and see what happens. Any advice on unhooking them? Are they clipped in or do I just gently pry them? I sure do not want to bust either of those 20 something years old connectors.

And, the big question is this can I get a new one from Honda?
Porkchop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #13052
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
My TA has a SuperTrapp, but I'm not sure what an exhaust gasket is. Would it be between the muffler and the exhaust pipe that runs from the engine to the muffler? Am I looking for something metal, or fiber, or what?

If you can clarify this, I'll be happy to look at my bike and report back on what it has and doesn't have.
It would be fiber and it would go between the SuperTrapp and and stock pipe that comes out of the engine. I sold my SuperTrapp to someone in California and they say it won't fit; the pipe is way too big to fit tight on the engine pipe, I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a gasket in there to take up the slop.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #13053
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
There's a wire and graphite (I think) gasket between the head pipes and the standard Honda muffler. Usually it stays with the muffler when it's removed. It can be found as a Honda part.

Never had a SuperTrap but this may be necessary to have the pipe fit correctly.

Trying to pry/slide the old gasket out of the standard silencer only ruins it. Order a new one.

Have the new guy measure the outside of the standard Honda muffler where the clamp goes....then measure the outside of the ST pipe. If the two are the same, then the standard Honda gasket will work just fine. If not, those gaskets are available in various inner and outer diameters. A good parts guy (usually a contradiction in terms) can help you here.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 08:57 PM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #13054
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Connectors should unplug normally.

Regards CDI's- I don't see any point of buying new from Honda, they are outdated (spark advance is for 91 octane gas for example), not reliable.
I strongly suggest to invest in these:

http://www.motorbike-shop.de/index.php?a=2892

For example, these CDI decreased fuel consumption on my TA for about 0.8l/100km without changing anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll do the switch in a day or two and see what happens. Any advice on unhooking them? Are they clipped in or do I just gently pry them? I sure do not want to bust either of those 20 something years old connectors.

And, the big question is this can I get a new one from Honda?
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #13055
Mika_AT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
hi, where buy this screen ?

I found in Boano, but it does not seem to be the same.

Thx !
Mika_AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #13056
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316 View Post

And, the big question is this — can I get a new one from Honda?
Yes you should be able to order one from any Honda source here in the US and they work fine. Prices vary widely, shop around. The ones that Ravelv suggested from Germany would be interesting to try but at $350.00 USD each most of us will pass on them.

There are 2 thin clips on opposite sides of the outer connector. Find a small thin narrow tool so that you can barely 'lift' this clip allowing the inner connector pin can be 'wiggled' out. Both connectors attach in the same manner. Since your CDI's have the updated horizontal style holder then these clips will be on the top and bottom position.

These connectors are often very snug due to the inner micro O ring seal, resist pulling on the wires, wiggling or "walking" the connector out works best. A very small amount of WD40 on this connector can really help.

The "over rated" need for the updated horizontal CDI holder has little to no effect on the life of the CDI, they still go bad, especially if they are old. I have read comments that would lead you to think that if this update is not done immediately your ride will be cut short that day, just ain't so. Having said that it's a worth while $12.00 investment and should always be done.

Removing the CDI's is like minor surgery but you can do it. Resist pulling in the connectors molded onto the CDI, you can damage the internal connection on the circuit board.

I hope Graham is still enjoying the bike he got from me in December.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #13057
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Thanks for the sound advice. I've dealt with enough of that type of clip over the years to know the older ones can be difficult to remove.

I'd love to invest in the $$$ unit but it's likely I will not have won the lottery by next week and therefore will opt for the standard unit.

"I hope Graham is still enjoying the bike he got from me in December." Yes, he loves it. I still have not seen it but I hope to meet up with him soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #13058
ravelv

$350/259 EUR is set of both CDI's (is the stock ones really much cheaper?)... Though, both of my stock CDI's where ok, I decided not to wait until they will fail. Also these CDI's allows to enable/disable sidestand switch and have possibility to work with both ignition settings- 91 and 95 fuel.

BTW, no matter how I was synhronizing carbs, I always had some noticeable vibration from engine on foot pegs around ~93 km/h. Just with using these CDI's this vibration went away. That was first surprise when went to highway (another was less fuel used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
.... The ones that Ravelv suggested from Germany would be interesting to try but at $350.00 USD each most of us will pass on them....

ravelv screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 05:23 AM
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #13059
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
$350/259 EUR is set of both CDI's (is the stock ones really much cheaper?)... Though, both of my stock CDI's where ok, I decided not to wait until they will fail. Also these CDI's allows to enable/disable sidestand switch and have possibility to work with both ignition settings- 91 and 95 fuel.

BTW, no matter how I was synhronizing carbs, I always had some noticeable vibration from engine on foot pegs around ~93 km/h. Just with using these CDI's this vibration went away. That was first surprise when went to highway (another was less fuel used).
OK. Much better.

I will be looking into all of this over the next few days. I'll report on my progress as I go.

Thanks to all who advised.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #13060
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
I did not know that price was for a pair, still expensive. I think you can find mail ordered OEM Honda CDI's for around $110.00-$120.00 ?, Not sure because I haven't needed them in a while.
The last CDI's I bought were made in Argentina and sold on Ebay, so far they work great and can not tell the difference, I think they cost $65.00 each? I think Ladder is also using these and has had great luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post

Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #13061
ravelv

OK, I forgot that in US you have a different prices that we here in EU... :)
Here OEM can be around 130EUR, so, no point to buy stock ones.

Still you have to take in account also some additional functionality these delivers. In my opinion price is a bit steep, yes, but I'm not dissapointed as well.

Quote:
I did not know that price was for a pair, still expensive. I think you can find mail ordered OEM Honda CDI's for around $110.00-$120.00 ?, Not sure because I haven't needed them in a while.
The last CDI's I bought were made in Argentina and sold on Ebay, so far they work great and can not tell the difference, I think they cost $65.00 each? I think Ladder is also using these and has had great luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #13062
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Quote:
I've also been using the ones from Argentina and have had no trouble at all.
Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #13063
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika_AT View Post
hi, where buy this screen ?

I found in Boano, but it does not seem to be the same.

Thx !
There are several copies of the similar fairing. Mine is an actual Boano.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #13064
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Supertrapp gasket?

I looked at my bike, which has a Supertrapp, and frankly didn't know what to think. So I took pictures:

1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #13065
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
CDIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
I've also been using the ones from Argentina and have had no trouble at all.
Bob
Don't know whether or not his helps, but here is a link to a German site selling CDIs.

http://www.motorbike-shop.de/index.php?k=279

It seems they are also shipping to foreign countries, something like Euro 7, insured letter upto Euro 34.