User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #13066
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Fs 89 ta 600

Well the bike has done everything I wanted from it, then I changed what I want to do so my TA needs to find a new home.

Add from main flea market
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777781
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #13067
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
They are on ebay for $89.00. I can't find any cheaper. Is there a problem with only replacing one and using it with an original? How much does the octane level really affect transalps?

My tach has stopped working 2 times for about a minute and then picks up like nothing happened. I want to fix this before I'm way out riding somewhere. Riding home on one cylinder can't be fun.

Thanks in advance. Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I did not know that price was for a pair, still expensive. I think you can find mail ordered OEM Honda CDI's for around $110.00-$120.00 ?, Not sure because I haven't needed them in a while.
The last CDI's I bought were made in Argentina and sold on Ebay, so far they work great and can not tell the difference, I think they cost $65.00 each? I think Ladder is also using these and has had great luck.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #13068
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,881
Doug............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game over View Post
They are on ebay for $89.00. I found one source for Honda OEM CDI's for $102.00. The cheaper source ( Zorkos?) hasn't listed any in a while but they were cheap. I can't find any cheaper. Is there a problem with only replacing one and using it with an original? No problem but will that leave you a reliable spare to carry with you? How much does the octane level really affect transalps? I can tell a bit of differance no matter what the Octane, it is not a high compression engine. I am running Pure 100% gasoline but that is only because I found a station that sells it and they only carry it in the premium grade.

My tach has stopped working 2 times for about a minute and then picks up like nothing happened. Did the bike run right while the Tach died? If it did then it is doubtful you have a CDI problem. I want to fix this before I'm way out riding somewhere. Riding home on one cylinder can't be fun.
It's not fun which is why I won't go anywhere without a spare on board.

Your problem could be elsewhere and not a CDI. Dirty ground connections or harness connections plus side stand switch failure can be a source of trouble to.

Thanks in advance. Doug

mas335 screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 03:08 PM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #13069
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I'm very interested in this question as well. My Transalp has the Supertrapp and I think it was installed by monkeys because there is no clamp or gasket. I think a clamp like the one pictured below would be great. Can you buy something like that anywhere? I'm thinking the auto parts store may only have those round muffler clamps and I don't think that would fit in there.
Thanks for the pics Topher and hopefully somebody will know more than we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I looked at my bike, which has a Supertrapp, and frankly didn't know what to think. So I took pictures:

JBMorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #13070
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Did the bike run right while the Tach died?
No, both times it ran on one cylinder while the tach was dead. It happened at startup after letting out the choke.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #13071
mrbowenz
Major Underachiever

Oddometer: 85
Topher,
Sorry for the delay, here is the triple tree, let me know what's needed and I will send :

What's a matter ? afraid you'll taste something Lagerboy.....
mrbowenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #13072
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
That's right, but still when changing octane, ignition advance also should be changed according to octane used most. Just by using these newer CDI's for 95 octane I'm running most, I got quite noticeable less fuel used.

BTW, here is cheaper option with possibility to adjust CDI by user with software:

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

Quote:
I can tell a bit of differance no matter what the Octane, it is not a high compression engine. I am running Pure 100% gasoline but that is only because I found a station that sells it and they only carry it in the premium grade.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #13073
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 157
Getting CDIs sorted

OK, I finally had a few minutes to get out to the shed and pull/switch the CDI units. The tach did come back when the units were switched. The bike runs but a cylinder is still cutting out. I took pretty detailed notes that I will not go into now. However, I was surprised that these units seem to "come and go" in my testing so I guess they fail partially rather than all or nothing.

I think I will try to order new units via eBay (USA) or Honda unless anyone here steps forward with any for sale.

Thanks.
Porkchop316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #13074
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316 View Post
OK, I finally had a few minutes to get out to the shed and pull/switch the CDI units. The tach did come back when the units were switched. The bike runs but a cylinder is still cutting out. I took pretty detailed notes that I will not go into now. However, I was surprised that these units seem to "come and go" in my testing so I guess they fail partially rather than all or nothing.

I think I will try to order new units via eBay (USA) or Honda unless anyone here steps forward with any for sale.

Thanks.
PC.... The CDI's do both, they fail interminently and immediately light a light bulb burning out. Since the tach came back to life but the bike was still running on one cylinder then the CDI on the right side is the bad one.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #13075
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
PC.... The CDI's do both, they fail interminently and immediately light a light bulb burning out. Since the tach came back to life but the bike was still running on one cylinder then the CDI on the right side is the bad one.
Right or left? UMMMM... I'll get two and either replace both or carry a spare. I assume they are completely interchangeable.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll report back when the new units arrive.

Anything else I should look at while I'm poking around?
Porkchop316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #13076
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316 View Post
Right or left? UMMMM... I'll get two and either replace both or carry a spare. I assume they are completely interchangeable.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll report back when the new units arrive.

Anything else I should look at while I'm poking around?
They are interchangeable but your CDI this is now on the right side appears to be the dead one, keep the good one as a spare.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #13077
Mika_AT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
There are several copies of the similar fairing. Mine is an actual Boano.

thanks !
Mika_AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #13078
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
There's a wire and graphite (I think) gasket between the head pipes and the standard Honda muffler. Usually it stays with the muffler when it's removed. those gaskets are available in various inner and outer diameters.
That's what I seem to remember. Do you know where I can find a selection of them in different sizes online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
That's interesting, there's no room for a wire gasket in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
I'm very interested in this question as well. My Transalp has the Supertrapp and I think it was installed by monkeys because there is no clamp or gasket. I think a clamp like the one pictured below would be great. Can you buy something like that anywhere? I'm thinking the auto parts store may only have those round muffler clamps and I don't think that would fit in there.
Thanks for the pics Topher and hopefully somebody will know more than we.
Your pipe should definitely have a clamp, you can use a standard hose clamp from an auto parts store, but they rust quickly. Or you can order fancy ones (check the size before ordering) from various places.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #13079
xr2bfree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
new ta owner. need some advice with a cooling issue

New 1998 moonstone ta.......runs great, goes just about anywhere.....but as soon as I stop for any amount of time the temp. starts to creep up....any ideas.....pk
xr2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #13080
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr2bfree View Post
New 1998 moonstone ta.......runs great, goes just about anywhere.....but as soon as I stop for any amount of time the temp. starts to creep up....any ideas.....pk
Also re this, at what temp or part of your gauge does your fan come on?

My fan has never come on yet, fuses are good so presuming a problem somewhere else. My gauge has indicted to just below the red line, on an 87 600 Transalp.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote