Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #13141
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
With my AT fairing (adds another 55 watt headlight) plus Gerbing heated jacket, the voltmeter shows the bike keeping up at normal riding speeds.

If I turn the heated grips on HIGH it's OK on the freeway but starts to loose the battle around town. If slow trail riding.....it does not keep up with usage.

I thought putting it in practical terms would help.
Very much so. Thank you.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.

tgeliot screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 10:16 AM
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #13142
tgeliot
Topher

Keep the TA or sell it?

Heresy, I know.

Circumstances (which I am not going to go into details on) have led me to conclude I need to give up riding for a year or two. I'm definitely hanging on to all my gear. But the decision I have to make is whether I should hang on to my beat-up but functional TA, or sell it and later get . . . something. I was thinking maybe a VStrom.

One of the biggest advantages of this TA for me is that it is already beat up. The fairing is long gone, the tank is dented and scratched, the rear plastics are abused, etc. That rather suits me, as it seems that I'm hell on bikes. I keep dropping it. I know that if I got a nice bike, it would quickly look like this anyway, and I'd be out a bunch of money that I paid for that nice new plastic. I also like TAs in general -- I'm tall and it gives me pretty good leg room (could be better); I prefer the aesthetics of the low fender to, for example, the KLR's high fender but I still want a suspension that will work on rough roads.

The reasons I'd consider switching away from the TA are
  • Fuel capacity. I want to be able to go further than my current 130 - 170 miles between fillups without having to deal with separate containers.
  • Electricity capacity (see my recent postings). I want to be able to run electric clothing and sometimes have enough generation capacity to run a CPAP machine at night.
  • Availability of accessories and parts.

Ironically, late last fall I put brand new tires and a new gel battery in this TA. Oh well.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #13143
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Sounds like you've already answered your own question. You can get an AT tank and a friend of mine has the same CPAP/sleep apena problem. He's going to try this http://www.proventtherapy.com/ .
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #13144
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Unless you must sell it for financial reasons, why not just fill the tank, add some Starbrite enzyme treatment, drain the carbs (or at least run the treated fuel through them), lift her up on jackstands or a lift (20 y.ol suspensions likes not being compressed all the time) trickle charge the battery.

..........and keep it.

You can always make the new bike/old bike decisions when you start riding again and at least you'd still have the old bike.

If you decide to sell, there will likely always be a market for used TAs (unless Aliens abduct Mark)
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #13145
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Heresy, I know.

Circumstances (which I am not going to go into details on) have led me to conclude I need to give up riding for a year or two. I'm definitely hanging on to all my gear. But the decision I have to make is whether I should hang on to my beat-up but functional TA, or sell it and later get . . . something. I was thinking maybe a VStrom.

One of the biggest advantages of this TA for me is that it is already beat up. The fairing is long gone, the tank is dented and scratched, the rear plastics are abused, etc. That rather suits me, as it seems that I'm hell on bikes. I keep dropping it. I know that if I got a nice bike, it would quickly look like this anyway, and I'd be out a bunch of money that I paid for that nice new plastic. I also like TAs in general -- I'm tall and it gives me pretty good leg room (could be better); I prefer the aesthetics of the low fender to, for example, the KLR's high fender but I still want a suspension that will work on rough roads.

• Fuel capacity. I want to be able to go further than my current 130 - 170 miles between fillups without having to deal with separate containers.
  • Electricity capacity (see my recent postings). I want to be able to run electric clothing and sometimes have enough generation capacity to run a CPAP machine at night.

Ironically, late last fall I put brand new tires and a new gel battery in this TA. Oh well.

Your thoughts?
I feel your pain. I just sold my Hawk GT yesterday and will be delivering it Saturday...... to a kid 300 miles away and for way too little cash than what I have in it, but medically it isn't a bike I can ride even after doing things like ordering a custom high seat, etc. and I needed to just wake up one day and say "it can only sit in the garage so long, there will be other bikes" and that was that, one last ride, wash it and sell it.
I agree with Ladders idea, but I also like trying other bikes. My thing is that I wanted to own all of the bikes that came out while I was a poor broke jarhead in the late 80's-early 90's and I've pretty much done that. Some I loved, most I broke even on or better and a few I let sit wasting away until I realized it was time to let it go. I've regretted a few sales, but when it comes down to it I don't have the space or the willpower to keep a stable of bikes. Something new comes along or the price on this or that used bike hits a point where I can buy it and cross it off the list.
I have knee surgery on April 30th, 2nd time since last summer and I had a spinal fusion a little over 3 years ago. Missed lots of riding BUT I made up for it with some long cross country trips for the first time. These medical issues also led me into owning a couple of bikes I never thought of owning and I enjoyed the hell out of them. The Victory Kingpin I had was awesome coming from a lifetime of 4 cly. Jap bikes, and it allowed me to ride longer and more often than I would've been able to had i stuck with what I had pre-surgery.
SO......... way too much personal info about me, but I just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one in this situation.
I was in the driveway just now trying to do the valves on my Alp and working around this bum knee. Just gotta figure out what you really think is important I guess, do you need the money from the sale, knowing your bike vs having to learn a different one, seeing an empty garage every day, those kinda things are what matters.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #13146
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post

Your thoughts?
Charging system capacity has come up prior: I will try find my notes on the measured power usage. But from memory the headlight, taillight, engine ignition, running lights in my case take about 200 watts. So you have about 110 watts to run... Other stuff like heated grips, vest and the like. I run heated vest, grips, GPS and sat radio and never worry about charging and monitor the charging system with a signal dynamics battery monitor.

Fuel capacity allows an easy 180 to 210 before reserve well with in the norm for most bikes.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #13147
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Fuel capacity allows an easy 180 to 210 before reserve well with in the norm for most bikes.
You're doing a lot better than I if you're getting an easy 180 to 210. It might have to do with the altitude of my riding (5,000 ft minimum, up to 10K) or that my bike needs maintenance (I don't know how to clean or adjust the carbs, for example, and heaven knows how long it's been since anyone has looked at the valves).
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #13148
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oil pump drive chain

I'm installing a new clutch in my '89 TA and have a question. About how tight/loose is a new oil pump chain supposed to be. I know that's hard to quantify, so --- more like a properly adjusted TA drive chain, (like mine is)---or a too tight street bike chain. I went back and read the procedure for clutch replacement and have a service manual, and have removed the clutch(no surprises). I've read here that now is the time to change the oil pump chain, but my bike has less than 20K miles on it and I wouldn't think that's enough to need an oil pump chain. So why change the clutch. The PO ( learman60, thanks mas) said he thought it was slipping. I couldn't tell,( don't ride that hard), but it did feel funny, had a little hitch in it. The chains seem to run between $65 & $70 and I need to order other parts anyway.---Need advise...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #13149
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
US Transalp Centerstand

Still trying. The only issue is the pressdown leg. I moved it to the right side for some testing.

Could you live with it on the right side?

Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 01:43 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #13150
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
my bike has less than 20K miles on it and I wouldn't think that's enough to need an oil pump chain.
I've never seen a TA with a broken oil pump chain.....but after they slack out they can touch other casting bits in the case and put aluminium flakes into the oil that look scary.

So, no, you don't HAVE to change the oil pump chain...but you are already 95% of the way there and a new one will have 20 thou. less on it than the one you have now. If you ride conservatively, clutches will last quite a while so you won't be into the right side again most likely. Remember the TA has a "special" clutch plate, ring and spring that goes on the far outside position.

If it were me, I'd change it. The cost of time and gaskets to change it again later (likely much later) will off-set the cost of the part now.

CENTERSTANDS Yes, I still want one....maybe two.

Quote:
Could you live with it on the ridght side?
I guess I could but haven't ever done it like that. Horse riders always get on and off from the left side of the beast. I do the same with the motorcycle...to the point that pushing one around the shop from the right side feels un-natural.

That and given that most people are right handed and will be pulling the arse end up with their right hands (if the tab is on the left) .....I think the left side would be more.....errrrrrrrr......natural. Not that I'd be afraid to try something new.

Is there a problem sticking it on the left?
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #13151
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
CENTERSTANDS Yes, I still want one....maybe two.

I guess I could but haven't ever done it like that. Horse riders always get on and off from the left side of the beast. I do the same with the motorcycle...to the point that pushing one around the shop from the right side feels un-natural.

That and given that most people are right handed and will be pulling the arse end up with their right hands (if the tab is on the left) .....I think the left side would be more.....errrrrrrrr......natural. Not that I'd be afraid to try something new.

Is there a problem sticking it on the left?
The problem I am having fitting it on the left side is keeping the stand from being fabricated. The length of the press down leg has to be long enough to help the bike onto the stand. Between the passenger peg and the side stand is a tough fit. In less that two hours I moved it to the other side. The three of us had no problem getting the bike up from the right side. But there is that long walk around the bike to get to the right side.

I am used to doing it on both sides though. Cathy's XT is on the right and has been that way for four years. Other than walking around the bike it is not any better or worse.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #13152
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If it were me, I'd change it. The cost of time and gaskets to change it again later (likely much later) will off-set the cost of the part now.
You're right. I don't want to do it twice. I'll get new ones.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #13153
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
I'm installing a new clutch in my '89 TA and have a question. About how tight/loose is a new oil pump chain supposed to be. I know that's hard to quantify, so --- more like a properly adjusted TA drive chain, (like mine is)---or a too tight street bike chain. I went back and read the procedure for clutch replacement and have a service manual, and have removed the clutch(no surprises). I've read here that now is the time to change the oil pump chain, but my bike has less than 20K miles on it and I wouldn't think that's enough to need an oil pump chain. So why change the clutch. The PO ( learman60, thanks mas) said he thought it was slipping. I couldn't tell,( don't ride that hard), but it did feel funny, had a little hitch in it. The chains seem to run between $65 & $70 and I need to order other parts anyway.---Need advise...

I would be interested to know how much "slack" is in the oil pump chain before you remove it. If you can measure the chain slack travel I can compare it to other engines I have seen.

Once you install the new one a measurement of it would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #13154
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
The problem I am having fitting it on the left side is keeping the stand from being fabricated. The length of the press down leg has to be long enough to help the bike onto the stand. Between the passenger peg and the side stand is a tough fit. In less that two hours I moved it to the other side. The three of us had no problem getting the bike up from the right side. But there is that long walk around the bike to get to the right side.

I am used to doing it on both sides though. Cathy's XT is on the right and has been that way for four years. Other than walking around the bike it is not any better or worse.

Thanks,

Mike
If it has to be on the right than that is the way it needs to be I guess. I'm a lefty who has always had left side center stands but function over form is most important I would say.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #13155
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Most bikes? I have done two mileage checks this year on my '89 TA. 43 and 44 MPG. at 4.8 Gallon less .8 reserve leaves 4, 172-176 miles per tank. this is a combo of freeway and city. Personally I would start looking for gas at 160. Are you riding slow or am I riding too fast?
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote