User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #13186
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
TA vs BMW1200GS Ergo Comparison

I imagine some of you have ridden a BMW R1200GS. I would like to know whether the distance to the handlebars is further on a TA and also distance to the ground from the seat. I'm 5'7" with average arm and leg length. I've ridden a GS and although it was a bit on the tall/long side, it was manageable. Any longer/taller however and I wouldn't enjoy it much.

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #13187
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,831
Thanks Royce, will check out all the connections first and work from there.

Marcf, which TA are you wanting the comparison with?

I can offer the 87 600 and say it is a little lower in seat height and bars would be about the same compared to mates 2008 GSA.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #13188
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Cruz - thanks for the info. I'm looking at an '89. Would that be the same as the '87? I'm glad to hear the seat height is a little shorter than the GSA. Hopefully it's the same or shorter than a standard GS's. That would work for me. The handlebar reach would be ok also if it's the same or shorter. I've got a pretty bad back injury and surgery and the GS seems to be just comfortable enough for me to ride. Would like to find something a little lighter and shorter, but want something similar in ergonomics and with a bit of character. The TA seems to fit the bill.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Marc
marcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #13189
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

I am 178 cm and can flat foot on my TA. I would say that the TA bar is actually a bit closer than the GSA I rode. I also have a bad back and find the TA very comfortable, just needed bar risers to stop the lurched forward effect oem.
Pretty sure 87-89 models would be much the same, I am sure someone more knowledgeable will help out here.
Buy a good wide set of pegs as well, helps with the comfort. Fitted Mark 3 Pivot Pegz to mine and they made a big difference.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #13190
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
New rear tire advice please!

I know there have been many previous discussions on tires, but I thought I'd pose my specific question to you Transalp nuts.
My Translap (89 XL600v) is in need of a new rear tire. It has the Metzeler Sahara 3 front and rear tires that were on it when I bought it. I really like these tires. I ride lots of gravel roads, occasionally off road, and the rest pavement. They work great on tar, gravel, and off road, though they aren't great in mud or wet leaves!

Anyway, the Sahara 3 is great but I am a little concerned about tread life. It seemed to have plenty of tread when I
bought the bike about 600 miles ago, but is almost worn out now. I am keeping the Sahara 3 on the front since it's still got life in it, so whatever I get for the rear will have to work with it.
I am also interested in the Heideneau K60, as it is a similar pattern, and I have heard these have a pretty good tread life. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? Are there other similar tires I should consider? I thought I'd gather some opinions before pulling the trigger on another Sahara 3 for the rear.
Thanks!
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #13191
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Previously had the Sahara 3s on my xch and have the Mitas EO-7 on the front and rear of my 87 TA. The Mitas have both done at least 7000 klms now and are just over half worn down. Best part is that they handle off road a lot better than the Saharas did on my xch and nearly as good on the bitumen. They were on my TA when I bought it and I had every intention of swapping them out ASAP but their capabilities off road have kept me happy so far.
Wet weather traction is a bit iffy at the rear where the Sahara was better with traction.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html

xronly
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13192
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Don't want to start another tire thread but I do want to comment on the Mitas.

The trade for improved mileage that I have found is:

(a) A tire with an incredibly stiff sidewall. This may be a safety factor for some but it does degrade the rear ride. I have a custom Ricor shock on my bike and can feel that the tire is doing nothing to flex and absorb the little bumps so the overall ride suffers.

(b) With the stiff sidewall comes a quantum leap in ones disability to mount the tire at home or repair the tire in the field. It is very difficult to break the bead on this tire and you have to be very certain of your manual tire removal methods to get this thing off the rim so the tube can be repaired.

(c) With increased tire life also comes the disadvantage of riding on a "squared-off" tire for many miles. I'm not a fan of how this tire corners once its down to 50% life.

Tires are a individual a choice as the bike and the seat you ride on...but, for me, the Michelin t-63 (yes its a knobblie) strikes the best compromised between traction, life, ride, cost and handling. To me, the T63 fits the character of the Transalp best.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #13193
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
I ran a set of K60's and I liked them but the rear 130/80-17 didn't even make it to 4000 miles which is unacceptable to me for what the tire costs.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #13194
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Fyi......

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
Cruz - thanks for the info. I'm looking at an '89. Would that be the same as the '87? I'm glad to hear the seat height is a little shorter than the GSA. Hopefully it's the same or shorter than a standard GS's. That would work for me. The handlebar reach would be ok also if it's the same or shorter. I've got a pretty bad back injury and surgery and the GS seems to be just comfortable enough for me to ride. Would like to find something a little lighter and shorter, but want something similar in ergonomics and with a bit of character. The TA seems to fit the bill.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Marc
PMed ya TA's rule............
Clockwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #13195
KrankenWagen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What about this!

Hi everyone. Just want to show you my TA PD06 built, hope I dont insult someone.... ( Or I dont care )

Its a build of different parts I had floating around in my shop, I will get it done during a month or so.

HERE is a thread of the build, if you can read Norwegian.

Taadaaaaaaa and cheers :)

KrankenWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #13196
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
Hey Guys,

I just bought a '90 Transalp yesterday afternoon from a fellow inmate. It was a complete impulse buy and I'm somewhat ashamed to say I know very little about them. After a few hours of initial surfing, they apparently appear to be thought of as reliable machines, so probably an excellent contrast to its KTM stablemate....
Trying to come up to speed quickly: are there any standard internet resources/idiot guides that folks generally use? Aftermarket vendors?

Cheers,

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #13197
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,893
you are on the internet resource now.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #13198
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
Hey Guys,

I just bought a '90 Transalp yesterday afternoon from a fellow inmate. It was a complete impulse buy and I'm somewhat ashamed to say I know very little about them. After a few hours of initial surfing, they apparently appear to be thought of as reliable machines, so probably an excellent contrast to its KTM stablemate....
Trying to come up to speed quickly: are there any standard internet resources/idiot guides that folks generally use? Aftermarket vendors?

Cheers,

Douf

Here's a couple--- http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/ --- http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...1989&fveh=4191

Reading this whole thread is daunting, but worth it. Take your time, take notes and enjoy.
If there's text or pictures you want to keep, save or print it. They may be removed or photos allowed to expire on off site accounts.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:28 AM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #13199
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankenWagen View Post
Hi everyone. Just want to show you my TA PD06 built, hope I dont insult someone.... ( Or I dont care )

Its a build of different parts I had floating around in my shop, I will get it done during a month or so.

Is it going to be Repsol in its scheme... looks a good build, although not to my taste
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #13200
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankenWagen View Post

Very good work and interesting conversion. Checked out your build link with google translate. It is not a direct translation, but I could understand enough to realize how much work you have done. Will be interested to see the completed project and your ride impressions.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote