Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #13201
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
Hey Guys,

I just bought a '90 Transalp yesterday afternoon from a fellow inmate. It was a complete impulse buy and I'm somewhat ashamed to say I know very little about them. After a few hours of initial surfing, they apparently appear to be thought of as reliable machines, so probably an excellent contrast to its KTM stablemate....
Trying to come up to speed quickly: are there any standard internet resources/idiot guides that folks generally use? Aftermarket vendors?

Cheers,

Douf
I'd say right here is best, but there is also http://www.transalp.org/
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #13202
KrankenWagen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Is it going to be Repsol in its scheme... looks a good build, although not to my taste
Thanks, its own-made colorsscheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Very good work and interesting conversion. Checked out your build link with google translate. It is not a direct translation, but I could understand enough to realize how much work you have done. Will be interested to see the completed project and your ride impressions.
Thanks!
Rear wheel and caliper is original, swingarm from Africa Twin, linkage original, rear shock is zx1100 84m, fork is from Z1000J, calipers from zx1100 84m, front wheel from Tiger 800.
All engine covers and caliper paint is GunKote. Rest is 2K.
Thinks the twin engine suits this kind of style.... Also the plan is GPS speedometer with own style and logo, from http://www.speedhut.com/
KrankenWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #13203
Aiks
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Modified Givi windscreen

Cut to reduce wind on face:

Aiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #13204
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankenWagen View Post
Thanks, its own-made colorsscheme.

Thanks!
Rear wheel and caliper is original, swingarm from Africa Twin, linkage original, rear shock is zx1100 84m, fork is from Z1000J, calipers from zx1100 84m, front wheel from Tiger 800.
All engine covers and caliper paint is GunKote. Rest is 2K.
Thinks the twin engine suits this kind of style.... Also the plan is GPS speedometer with own style and logo, from http://www.speedhut.com/
Welcome to the Mod insanity.You definitely have vision, skills, energy, and ambitions beyond most of us inmates. Please keep us "posted" on your progress.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #13205
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oil Pump Chain - Old vs New

Here is a wear/stretch comparison of an oil pump chain with approximately 18k miles compared to a new one. I put a brass brazing rod next to the chain/sprockets to illustrate the difference. My impression is: the old one is stretched more than I expected, and the new one is pretty tight. So once again, If you need a new clutch you probably need a new oil pump drive chain also.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #13206
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,809
Nicely done,

Thanks for the photos
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #13207
Motology
immer fahren

Oddometer: 19
Wink Reply to Thread: Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Hey everyone! First Post! Here's my TransAlp:
[IMG][/IMG]

Farkle List Upon Request
Motology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #13208
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motology View Post
Hey everyone! First Post! Here's my TransAlp:
[IMG][/IMG]

Farkle List Upon Request

You obviously were the one that bought Mark's

Welcome to the Asylum
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #13209
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Oddometer: 51
Welcome to the site and one of the largest threads on it! Have fun with your beast!
kyjenkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #13210
Motology
immer fahren

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
You obviously were the one that bought Mark's
Indeed I am. It's a great bike and he really kept it in good shape. I was really close to not getting it either. I'd seen his add on CL awhile back and wasn't sure if I wanted to dump my Ford Stock yet. Went to the Moon Motorsports Spring thing and saw it there with the for sale sign and it was all over. Dumped my Ford stock at $12.95 a share to buy the bike, and couldn't be happier. I love my TA and Ford crashed to the mid 11s
Motology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #13211
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Here is a wear/stretch comparison of an oil pump chain with approximately 18k miles compared to a new one. I put a brass brazing rod next to the chain/sprockets to illustrate the difference. My impression is: the old one is stretched more than I expected, and the new one is pretty tight. So once again, If you need a new clutch you probably need a new oil pump drive chain also.

Before we jump to the conclusion oil pump chains need to replaced at low mileage.....................we need you to pull the clutch cover in let say 5000 in miles and measure the wear on the new chain.

My guess we might find the new chain will wear or stretch to a certain point and remain close to the that point for more than 50,000 (as long a normal maintenance is performed (oil changes).

PS A clutch at 18,000 is a very very rare wear item on a TA.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #13212
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Before we jump to the conclusion oil pump chains need to replaced at low mileage.....................we need you to pull the clutch cover in let say 5000 in miles and measure the wear on the new chain.

My guess we might find the new chain will wear or stretch to a certain point and remain close to the that point for more than 50,000 (as long a normal maintenance is performed (oil changes).

PS A clutch at 18,000 is a very very rare wear item on a TA.
I may never get 5Kmi on this one. It's kind of a hobby bike for me (see post#12772 pg 852). I won't live long enough to get 50k on it,( got other bikes) so, you'll have to talk to the next owner. I changed the clutch because it felt funny( had a little hitch in it when it was released), and the PO( learman60 said he thought it was slipping). After reading Ray's clutch changing procedure, I checked the pump chain and it was looser than I expected. Mark asked for the new and old comparison, so I posted the pics. For $62 it wasn't worth taking a chance. Glad I did it. --- Got a new ti muffler off some 600 sport bike, and built a new mid pipe,so had the exhaust off anyway to get it ceramic coated. Hobby bike!!!

2bold2getold screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 04:41 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #13213
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
I may never get 5Kmi on this one. It's kind of a hobby bike for me (see post#12772 pg 852). and the PO( learman60 said he thought it was slipping). After reading Ray's clutch changing procedure, I checked the pump chain and it was looser than I expected. Mark asked for the new and old comparison, so I posted the pics. For $62 it wasn't worth taking a chance. Glad I did it. --- !!
I have no problem with your improved comfort level.........just bring up there might not be the need to replace a rare part.

I was kidding about the 5000 mile inspection.

I don't beleive slipping is possible with the chain pictured. Pulling the chain away from the sprocket at the high full contact point is the correct way to check the true wear or slack.

If this minor amount of slack was a concern this chain would have a chain tensioner from the factory....because they are all like the one pictured. This chain is used on over 25 bikes over a 30 year a period with no failures. The oil pump chain might be compared to the water pump that also has been replaced as a precaution with no data points. On a higher mileage bikes (+80,000-100,000) the cam chain and tension is the area that could benefit from inspection.

showkey screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 05:23 AM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13214
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
I have no problem with your improved comfort level.........just bring up there might not be the need to replace a rare part.

I was kidding about the 5000 mile inspection.

I don't beleive slipping is possible with the chain pictured. Pulling the chain away from the sprocket at the high full contact point is the correct way to check the true wear or slack.

If this minor amount of slack was a concern this chain would have a chain tensioner from the factory....because they are all like the one pictured. This chain is used on over 25 bikes over a 30 year a period with no failures. The oil pump chain might be compared to the water pump that also has been replaced as a precaution with no data points. On a higher mileage bikes (+80,000-100,000) the cam chain and tension is the area that could benefit from inspection.
I agree. Concidering the thing runs in oil all the time and has little resistance on it( except, maybe in the north where the oil is thick when it's cold), I was just surprised it had stretched that much. I've had thousands of engines apart and only seen one oil pump fail( although never worked on one chain driven) and that was from FOD. Even in extreme cases they're still running in oil. If you want my old chain, just pay the postage and I'll send it to ya. Save ya $62. And if anyone needs a drain plug sealing washer, I ordered one and they sent one package ( of 50 ).

2bold2getold screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 09:40 AM
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #13215
layzrider
Layzrider

Oddometer: 109
A Transalp Project

I have wanted to modify a twin cylinder bike, especially a Transalp, for a long time. I got one that had been stolen, plastic wrecked, abandoned for five years, recovered and returned to the original owner. I was thinking it was going to be a shame to hack apart a good TA, so this bike was perfect for me. It is coming along fine and I am having a good time with this project. Looking on the web I am impressed with some of the work being done on bikes. Some of it, way beyond what I could or want to do.
I don't ride very far, so I don't need all the adventure features on some bikes. The bike is intended for the street and Forest backroads. No dualsporting on trails. I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 for that. I am retired and like to ride at a casual pace, so the limited horsepower should not be a problem. I don't want to spend a great deal of money or time on this, so my changes are limited. Due to the bike being left out for so long, there are some rust problems, mainly in the gas tank, so I will do a coating job in it. Here are some photos of the project so far. More when I get it done.

layzrider screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:53 AM Reason: more photos
layzrider is offline   Reply With Quote