ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #13291
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Does sound like your pilot jets are now plugged............recheck and hold them to the light and you should see a perfect round hole ..........but other items that will cause the rpm to hang are vacuum leaks, enrichment cables not seated , throttle cables not adjusted correctly and slide diagrams not seated or sealed.
Sorry to be a PITA, my noobness is out for the world to see.

Went out for a short (<2mi) drive and was able to get it to bog out again. Got a look at the tach and it was bouncing all over the place then bike died. Started back up with no issues, gave it a bit of choke, and nursed it home. I pulled the carbs off and noticed that the rubber that mounts to the plastic 'nut' holding the choke plunger on the right hand side (front cyl) in wasn't snapped tight over the nut. Given the amount of grime inside, it appears that it hasn't been seated for a long time.

There was dirt/mud and corrosion from the metal tube around the plunger, the spring was packed full of crap, and the cable was binding. I soaked, scrubbed, cleaned the cable, spring, tube, until everything moved effortlessly (and cleaned the other side for good measure). Figure this may be culprit (or at least is contributing factor) of my issues?

Double checked the diaphragms to ensure they were seated properly and took a look at the jets. All were spotless when I put a light through them. I'm going to track down some #40 jets to assist with the cold weather starts (anyone know a good Canadian supplier??) and install while I have everything out. Good time to check valves as well.

Hopefully have back together this week and try it again.

cheers,
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #13292
Welshman in Canada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Brighton Ont
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
There are many choices all would be using soft straps/ties when connecting to the bike high as possible. Connection to the pegs works but are low and you mechanical advantage on supporting the bikes weight. A ton of information and threads are out there with good and bad results.

1. Use a over center front wheel chock system that can be purchased to $40 to $250 quality will vary widely and soft straps to the rear rack area pulling forward and down. Two insurance straps to the front.

http://www.discountramps.com/wheel-c...FdEDQAod4Xi5sQ

Condor chock systems are one of the best but not cheap.

http://store.condor-lift.com/

The beauty of the chock systems a minimum pressure is used on the front suspension (no need to compress the front end) and is easy on the springs and seals plus easy load and tie down with one person.

Short of the over center chock and basic chock can be used to stop the front wheel from turning or sliding. Precaution side stand or center stand should not be down while trailering. Chocks need to bolted down!!!

Soft ties:

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...le/Soft%20Ties

2. TWO Soft straps to the lower triple clamps after the black plastic wind deflector is removed pulling down and forward.. Two added straps with soft ties to the rear rack area.

3. Soft ties with straps to the GIVI front guards and rear straps with soft ties. Front tire secured to the trailer front wall to stop turning or sliding.


I have put an over centre wheel chok on,never thought of strapping rear end forward to front eyelets. Thanks for your help
Charlie
__________________
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Welshman in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #13293
showkey
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wausau
Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Sorry to be a PITA, my noobness is out for the world to see.

Went out for a short (<2mi) drive and was able to get it to bog out again. Got a look at the tach and it was bouncing all over the place then bike died. Started back up with no issues, gave it a bit of choke, and nursed it home. I pulled the carbs off and noticed that the rubber that mounts to the plastic 'nut' holding the choke plunger on the right hand side (front cyl) in wasn't snapped tight over the nut. Given the amount of grime inside, it appears that it hasn't been seated for a long time.

There was dirt/mud and corrosion from the metal tube around the plunger, the spring was packed full of crap, and the cable was binding. I soaked, scrubbed, cleaned the cable, spring, tube, until everything moved effortlessly (and cleaned the other side for good measure). Figure this may be culprit (or at least is contributing factor) of my issues?

Double checked the diaphragms to ensure they were seated properly and took a look at the jets. All were spotless when I put a light through them. I'm going to track down some #40 jets to assist with the cold weather starts (anyone know a good Canadian supplier??) and install while I have everything out. Good time to check valves as well.

Hopefully have back together this week and try it again.

cheers,

#40 pilot jet Honda US part # 99103-427-0400
Dealer (good) might have a jet selection kit in stock???? They are available on line from other suppliers and aftermarket stores like Dennis Kirk etc. Not sure on the Canada suppliers.

Choke (enrichener) cable not seated can be a big problem. If that was the start of this problem one might expect that the front plugs would have been black and fouled and even wet with fuel. Fouled plugs and backfire can go together. You could be dealing with multiple problems fix one and cause another cable routing and sticking could have gotten worse after you removed the carbs???????
__________________
1982 CX500 Turbo ,2006 ST1300, 2012 NC700X
1971 CT90,1981 C70, 1986 TRX 250,
1993 TRX300 4X4, 2001 TRX500 4x4, 1987 XR250L

showkey screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 06:26 PM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #13294
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
#40 pilot jet Honda US part # 99103-427-0400
Dealer (good) might have a jet selection kit in stock???? They are available on line from other suppliers and aftermarket stores like Dennis Kirk etc. Not sure on the Canada suppliers.

Choke (enricher) cable not seated can be a big problem. If that was the start of this problem one might expect that the front plugs would have been black and fouled and even wet with fuel. Fouled plugs and backfire can go together. You could be dealing with multiple problems fix one and cause another cable routing and sticking could have gotten worse after you removed the carbs???????
Thanks for the P/N. I'll check with my local dealer to see what they have. Halifax, despite its size, is a bit of a geographical oddity - parts are always 2 to 3 days away.

Judging by the amount of crud that was in the spring and curved metal housing / rubber boot, I'm guessing it's been like this for a while (I've only had bike 3 weeks and have less than 50km pavement on it). First time I had carbs out (last weekend) I didn't even notice that it was off - was more concerned with getting them back in correctly - I've put on less than 10km since.

tks
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #13295
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post

Double checked the diaphragms to ensure they were seated properly and took a look at the jets. All were spotless when I put a light through them. I'm going to track down some #40 jets to assist with the cold weather starts (anyone know a good Canadian supplier??)

cheers,
You might try these guys... http://www.hdlparts.com/default.asp ... I ordered some parts and called the next day to add a couple more(they let you do that and a real person answers the phone). Somebody dropped the ball and the extras didn't come. I called a week later to check on them. Two days later they showed up...NO CHARGE ! Very rare to get that kind of service these days. I picked up on this through a tip from Carlos (locorider). They send parts to him in Puerto Rico I think.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #13296
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,622
Any one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Question about progressive fork springs I got new progressive springs and fork seals what weight oil do you recommend? I want to set it up for 190-200 pound rider. Any tips or tricks on the fork rebuild? Thanks


Any input? Otherwise I'll just go for it and report back.
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #13297
Santa
Focused on the Future
 
Santa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
What size are you running on the back Santa?

130 80 17 Mitas E-09 Dakar.
Great tire.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #13298
mas335
xendurist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Piedmont region NC
Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Any input? Otherwise I'll just go for it and report back.
What kind of riding?? I would just go with 5 wt for now and see how you like it. Those springs feel so different from the oem springs, especially if you had old high mileage springs that were close to their service limits which I think is 22.25".

I've had PS springs and really liked them but I weigh 157 and don't ride like Ray.
__________________
Transalps
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #13299
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
What kind of riding?? I would just go with 5 wt for now and see how you like it. Those springs feel so different from the oem springs, especially if you had old high mileage springs that were close to their service limits which I think is 22.25".

I've had PS springs and really liked them but I weigh 157 and don't ride like Ray.
Dual sport Ill probablly push it too hard off road some times and bottom it out on the skid plate. The way they are set up now they are like mush under my commanding presence
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #13300
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball
 
dfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: FunkyTown
Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Any input? Otherwise I'll just go for it and report back.
I have the Intimitators with progressives, so I really cant give you any help

I like the setup BTW
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #13301
Santa
Focused on the Future
 
Santa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Oddometer: 1,399
Pelican bag set posted in flea market.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post18752705
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #13302
ravelv
from Baltic side of river
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 444
Had to carry bicycle frame to country side, car is under maintenance repair at the moment, good reason remember about TA and go for first ride this year...

And yes, after ~1000km's with Corbin seat my conclusion is- it is compatible with my ass.

ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #13303
oregonadvrider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 44
Yosemite on a Transalp

Yosemite on a Transalp. Well, we toyhaulered in down there from Oregon but rode all through Yosemite valley. Highly recomended!


oregonadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #13304
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!
 
locorider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puerto Rico, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
You might try these guys... http://www.hdlparts.com/default.asp ... I ordered some parts and called the next day to add a couple more(they let you do that and a real person answers the phone). Somebody dropped the ball and the extras didn't come. I called a week later to check on them. Two days later they showed up...NO CHARGE ! Very rare to get that kind of service these days. I picked up on this through a tip from Carlos (locorider). They send parts to him in Puerto Rico I think.
Yes, they did and never had a problem!
__________________
Carlos locorider
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp, slightly modified!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #13305
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 666
Directline Parts

As Carlos has said, I have had great success with these people delivering to Austalia at a good price and without a problem. Highly recommended.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014