Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #13306
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,418
Its good to see that this thread is going strong! Keep it going guys!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #13307
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider View Post
Its good to see that this thread is going strong! Keep it going guys!
And we're still getting out and about Carlos.
These are from the 2012 Flinders Classic which was run in late April, in the Flinders Ranges here in South Australia. More than 100 riders attended this 4 day event.

This was my first run on the Transalp after I relaced the original 1987 motor with a later model 650 Hawk motor. 750 kms of hard country and nothing broke or fell off, and the oil still looked like honey. I'm very happy.

Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #13308
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
altitude

To all the smarter than I am TA guys, I have a slow speed stumble on my new to me TA seems to not want to pull away even fully warmed up without using some choke, bought this out of Colorado currently in Western New York, would jetting for a higher altitude cause this??
Thanks
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #13309
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
To all the smarter than I am TA guys, I have a slow speed stumble on my new to me TA seems to not want to pull away even fully warmed up without using some choke, bought this out of Colorado currently in Western New York, would jetting for a higher altitude cause this??
Thanks
The first thing I always do to any bike I buy is remove the carbs, throughly clean them including all passage ports, inspect what jets are in them and that they are the correct jets ( you never know what someone else has done) , inspect the vacuum diaphrams for damage, reinstall them then synchronize the carbs. Make sure you have clean, unrestricted fuel flow to the carbs. Replace the two decayed auxilary air can filters that supply neutral air pressure to the upper chamber of the vaccum pistons.

It's at this point that I start determining what I just bought and how it runs. If you don't have a known reliable fuel system then you are just guessing which is what I am about to do. Clogged slow jets would be my guess, while they are out replace them with the Showkey mod, replace the 38's with 40's.

Replace plugs, make sure the air filter is not clogged, make sure there are no air leaks when reinstalling the carbs.

Your particular problem could be a few other issues but ruling out Carb problems is where I would start.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #13310
ric678
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=mas335 Replace the two decayed auxilary air can filters that supply neutral air pressure to the upper chamber of the vaccum pistons.
.[/QUOTE]
Are these filters still available from Honda?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #13311
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Did you buy it from one of the inmates on this list?

Is so, things are likely to be in good shape.

Yes, Jetting for Colorado will be too lean for the lower more humid air of NY state.

You might be able to fix it by merely turning the idle mixture screws out a turn or so.

If not, what Mark said should apply.

Post up a photo of the bike, we may recognize it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #13312
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
They're just tiny hunks of foam. Buy a lawnmower filter from a hardware store for a few bucks, cut to shape, oil and yer good.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #13313
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Not sure but you can make them out of any small cell foam, the type you find for lawn mower air filters, Cut them about 1/4 thick and sized to fit the can lid. They all decay over time and the debris and dirt ends up on the upper chamber of the carb, then into the small ports inside the carbs.

I have never worked on a TA that did not have decayed or completely missing filters in these cans.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #13314
ric678
Studly Adventurer

filters

Ok, thanks will try the lawnmower filter thing. Yes I got it from a inmate here, came out of Grand Junction picked it up in November to day was about the first real ride, I had it out about 3 weeks ago and didn't seem to be as bad...or my memory could be going..
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #13315
ric678
Studly Adventurer

If I knew how to do the pic thing I would I did put onbe on the transalp pic thread, guess I have to get smugmug or something
Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #13316
mas335
xendurist

If fuel sat in the Carbs since November then I would surely think the slow jets and other parts have gummed up from the gas.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #13317
ric678
Studly Adventurer

bad gas

Thanks for all the input, going to try and tackle the carb cleaning first and see where I get
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #13318
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Thanks for all the input, going to try and tackle the carb cleaning first and see where I get
my 89 spent some of its life parked outside so unfortunately there is some corrosion in critical places, like on the band clamps for the carbs and the float bowl screws, to the point where i didn't feel like potentially stripping bolts. So when i had to rehab the carbs i had to use a solution fed into the fuel line, although not optimal this did the trick. Bike still runs perfect which i don't really understand.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #13319
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
progressive front springs

Chaps, need a bit of suspension advice pls.... I've got a strange issue with the front end at approx 40mph where the forks bounce up and down but disappears when the speed gets above 50. I thought it was originally tyre related but have ruled that out and I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this before?
I think I have 7w or 10w oil and am running stock suspension on the rear but the bike is fully loaded if that makes any difference.....
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #13320
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Did you buy it from one of the inmates on this list?
I still have mine for sale, complete with genuine Honda auxilliary filters. A new filter is included.