User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #13366
gskelton
n00b

Oddometer: 9
TA parts bike or project just posted

FYI - in the flea market. Love the forum keep up the great work!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post18872828
gskelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #13367
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
RD03 arm have same axle sealings like TA's swing. And as a bit longer that TA's stock swingarm.

RD04 arm have small sealings inside swing's body besides bearing. Longer than RD03 arm.

RD07 arm have additional ball bearing in chainside along with needle one. Will need little adaption to fit in TA's frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
...I think I have an RD04 swing arm, although if there are three different length arms I can't be sure. It was bought by the PO in Italy. Didn't get the link with it. ...
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #13368
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
RD03 arm have same axle sealings like TA's swing. And as a bit longer that TA's stock swingarm.

RD04 arm have small sealings inside swing's body besides bearing. Longer than RD03 arm.

RD07 arm have additional ball bearing in chainside along with needle one. Will need little adaption to fit in TA's frame.
Then, the swing arm I have is from RD04. Should probably use RD04 triangle link and mounting bolts. I will try to find one. Thanks.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #13369
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Would like to see what you guys on here think.
Did a day on some Welsh lanes, it was pretty rocky stuff. Obviously the speed is much lower than it would be on a smaller enduro bike like my DR, but the suspension height causes the need to go even slower than I expected. This in turn causes stability to be rubbish as sometimes speed is better to get over a rock.
Wrong terrain for an Alp??? Or expecting too much from it?? Mate was on an old Tenere which faired much better

Maybe time for a new Tenere
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #13370
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
My Opinion, a paved road and your photos of that Welsh trail are probably the two extreme ends of what you want your suspension to do.

First one is smooth and most people don't like a lot of brake dive and softness up front when strafing apexes on the pavement.

The trail is filled with repeated rather high, sharp edged bumps that makes it necessary for the suspension to be soft enough to both soak up the edge and react quickly enough to recover for the next one.

With 20 year old suspension (likely standard stuff rather than modded or improved) you are just not going to get it to work well in both worlds. Modern cartridge forks and shocks with high and low speed circuits (not standard TA stuff) will be much better handling these two conditions.

If most of your riding will be done like this, spending some money on suspension improvements will work wonders....or you could buy a more modern bike. That's even more dear.

Beautiful ride though....wish I were there.

It's about deciding what you want the machine to do best or what compromises you can live with.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 08:27 AM
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #13371
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Someone did suggest a Wilbers rear shock... not sure if they can come with a little longer travel and better springs up front. The last thing I would want to start is bodging on suspension from another bike
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #13372
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
he last thing I would want to start is bodging on suspension from another bike
Those are the decisions that only you can make. My point was that improving suspension is much less expensive than buying a whole new bike. Particularly if the TA offers things or has traits that you really appreciate. Probably the best thing to do is to talk to local riders and find a shop the specializes in suspension work. Take the bike there and ask what they recommend.

Wilbers here in the States can be ordered with different lengths and will build to suit your riding style for damping adjustments. They also offer springs for the front forks.

A while back I was fortunate to work with Ricors here in Nevada to help develop their suspension mod for the TA forks. I'm not paid by them or anything but I do think that they offer the best solution for updating the TA forks to "emulate" the action of modern cartridge forks. Race Tech also has a very good product that does most of the same thing for the forks.

The standard TA rear shock does almost nothing except keep the rear wheel from hitting the inside of the rear fender. If you're half-way serious about riding off-road, the only solution is to replace it with a quality unit....yes, it's expensive.

That being said, the only way you are truly going to have modern suspension is to "bodge" it onto your bike. Everything else is just a "bodge" itself.

So......if you want to make a large improvement you have to decide if it's worth the expense. It will be much less dear than buying a new bike. You have other bikes with better legs so you know how a well set-up bike can act. The TA is big and heavy and (IMHO) the rubber mounted bars go a long way to hurt it's off-road performance....it will never be as good as the little KTM in that stuff.....but then you wouldn't ride the KTM to Scotland.

Also be aware that even new bikes don't have the best boingers as supplied by the factory. Great suspension is EXPENSIVE and it's an area where most manufacturers look to cut cost. Why else to you only see Ohlins on the Factory Special models.

And even the most expensive suspension is junk if it's tuned incorrectly.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 08:36 AM
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #13373
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Sound advice ladder106 and something for me to pontificate over hey
All being said I am loving the Transalp, and maybe some minor tweaks will help it along
Although I did look at a new Tenere660Z today in a bike shop, but finances wont allow
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #13374
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Fitted heavier springs and Race Tech valves to my forks care of Dan and they make a noticeable improvement.

The 660 Tenere has crappier suspension than my 25 year old oem Tranny.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #13375
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
the rubber mounted bars go a long way to hurt it's off-road performance.....
When I was putting my bike together for the first time I think I found a "bodge" solution to the rubber bushes; I put 1" washers above and below the rubber bushings, wound a heap of tension on the lower nuts and the front end feels virtually rigid....FWIW

Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #13376
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Has anyone tried to graft a XR650L disc brake swingarm rear end assembly to TA?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #13377
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Has anyone tried to graft a XR650L disc brake swingarm rear end assembly to TA?
I'm willing to try is someone has a spare swingarm
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #13378
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,394
I havent seen any comment on this thread about the NC700X. I tried searching but nada came up. Just want know the opinion of Transalpers. I'm looking forward to see and try one...just for fun...you never know...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #13379
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #13380
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider View Post
I havent seen any comment on this thread about the NC700X. I tried searching but nada came up. Just want know the opinion of Transalpers. I'm looking forward to see and try one...just for fun...you never know...
you know i bet it's a good bike but honda is dead to me until they actually make a competitive dualsport
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote