User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #13381
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,531
Looks like a great Pavement Commuter or Starbucks Poser bike

The honest truth is, crack-smoking Aliens have been running Honda ever since Soichiro died

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #13382
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Sound advice ladder106 and something for me to pontificate over hey
All being said I am loving the Transalp, and maybe some minor tweaks will help it along
Although I did look at a new Tenere660Z today in a bike shop, but finances wont allow
I got Wirth progressive fork springs for my old TA (1992 model, close to 60.000kms).
They did wonder, compared with the old fork springs and the price was good, too (even with the postage to Japan).
Have not changed the rearspring / suspension yet, this will be the next step.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #13383
Renxx
Moto maniac

Oddometer: 19
Hello! I have 87' Transalp, and i need new oil pump chain. Local dealer says that they cant get it, because they are no longer available. Maybe it will fit from younger TA models, or from some AT?
Renxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #13384
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Hello Renxx,
if nothing helps, have a try at www.africanqueens.de in Germany. As far as I know their homepage also offers an English version. If not, send me a line and I'll help with translation. And be aware that you will want to get every tuning-bit from their shop when you see it!
However, I have no relation to the shop, just wanting to help!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #13385
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
A swingarm from an Africa Twin is up for sale from an RD04?? Not being clued up but hearing and reading from here that it fits, what else would I need to fit it to a 97 Transalp with a disc brake rear?? And if you do a swingarm conversion does it adversely affect the geometry of the bike therefore requiring work to be done to the front to equal it out
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #13386
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider View Post
I havent seen any comment on this thread about the NC700X. I tried searching but nada came up. Just want know the opinion of Transalpers. I'm looking forward to see and try one...just for fun...you never know...
Couple of threads on it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728895

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796920

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #13387
Daveski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
A swingarm from an Africa Twin is up for sale from an RD04?? Not being clued up but hearing and reading from here that it fits, what else would I need to fit it to a 97 Transalp with a disc brake rear?? And if you do a swingarm conversion does it adversely affect the geometry of the bike therefore requiring work to be done to the front to equal it out
Wide,

Well I've done this modification to my 97 transalp - see a couple of pages back - I wasn't happy with the rear of my transalp, and wanted to make the whole bike better for green laning - anything to flatter a lack of skill! Basically you can keep your rear brake + carrier, and your rear wheel will work too. The eye to eye length of the rd04 shock is the same as a 97 transalp - 375mm, but as they are designed for different length swingarm's (AT is longer) I decided to source a rd04 shock as well - incase the internals and spring rates are intended to be totally different. I believe the transalp suspension linkage will fit the rd04 swingarm, but hopefully you can find a swingarm and linkage together as I'm not sure if there are subtle differences in ratio's of this linkage affecting rising rate and so on (discussed previously) - but I would rather have a rear swing arm that I am confident should work as it was designed. You will also need a new rear axle/bolt as well. I found all of the above can be most easily sourced on german ebay. The slider for the brake carrier just requires the slightest mod - grind a couple of mm off the top, to allow it to work properly. And you will also require a slight respacing of the rear wheel to ensure correct chain alingment, and to compensate for a slightly wider spacing. It all bolts up very easily. Be aware that it will add approx 1.5 inches of extra travel to the rear of your bike and about the same amount of lift at the tail - though depends on what preload you run.

I chose to balance up this mod with a ktm wp fork mod for the front end - surprisingly easy. Though as suggested decent springs and an appropriate oil change for the originals would be a good start. That said the higher rear should result in a subtle change to the geometry resulting in quicker steering but possibly less high speed stability. Hence I went for balancing up front and back. Given the number of dommies in the UK, you could use a front set up from one of these to add a little more travel and with 41mm forks they will fit straight into the TA yokes. Will require a stiffer spring than standard mind because of the difference in weight. Many options... !

Worth saying also nice to get an Ally swingarm over the original steel one.

If you feel you have enough travel, then a decent rear shock and spring upgrade may be all you are after.

Anyhow, good luck!

Oh, and the new Tenere suspension is super budget.
Daveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #13388
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,800
Dunno enough about the changes in the 97 model to be able to tell you if the AT arm fits or not.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #13389
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Besides arm and triangle link, also left wheel spacer should be used from RD04 as far as I remember. RD03's left spacer again is different length.
Otherwise RD03 arm with stock TA shock lifted rear by 45mm. RD04 arm will lift a bit more as it is longer.

Wheel axle can be used from TA, but very thick spacer bellow nut must be used as TA's axle is longer, at least disc brake's version.

Quote:
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #13390
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

So if Im reading right although the RD04 swingarm works , a better bet would be the RD03.... if you could ever find one. And then get a set of bog standard Dominator forks... with better springs and job done
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #13391
Daveski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
If you go for the dommie fork mod I think you'll also possibly need a dommie front wheel (or I think an older TA front wheel fits - someone here will know!) - as your one is twin disc, but the lowers on the dommie forks are only a single disc mount. I believe you'll also need the dommie front caliper (and disc) to mate up to your TA master cylinder.
Daveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #13392
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

The NX650 (Dominator) fork will not work directly with a TA front wheel unless a brake adapter is used.

The standard Dommie front disc is smaller in diameter. It's not happy with the TA master cylinder and is a bit weaker due to it's smaller diameter.

The Dommie fork has identical front fender (low) mounting points so that's an advantage if you're trying to preserve the low fender or standard TA fender.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #13393
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

The NX650 (Dominator) fork will not work directly with a TA front wheel unless a brake adapter is used.

The standard Dommie front disc is smaller in diameter. It's not happy with the TA master cylinder and is a bit weaker due to it's smaller diameter.

The Dommie fork has identical front fender (low) mounting points so that's an advantage if you're trying to preserve the low fender or standard TA fender.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #13394
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Although great stuff Im possibly out of it for that kind of stuff... Its just too much hassle sourcing the parts !! Cheers for the advice guys but Im admitting defeat... and Im just going to ride the feckin thing !!!
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #13395
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,617
What advantages does using the Dommie front fork bring over the oem, is it just wheel travel or is there more?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote