Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #13396
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,447
Hey guys, I've got a friend whos passing his licence next week and who want's to travel a lot on his new bike. Now I told hil to get a TransAlp as a first bike because it's easy to learn on it, if you drop it you don't care and after all there no major problems with it. My only question is, is there a big difference between the 600/650/700? I only rode the 600 Transalp and loved it for what it was, but as my friend is reliyng on me to buy the bike I don't want to force him into anything bad if he can better for the same price.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #13397
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Although great stuff Im possibly out of it for that kind of stuff... Its just too much hassle sourcing the parts !! Cheers for the advice guys but Im admitting defeat... and Im just going to ride the feckin thing !!!
good move, i went through the hassle of fitting xr 600 forks and it totally changed the character of the bike on the street. A set of progressive fork springs and a big front rotor kit with braided steel line was best bang for the buck and simple install
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #13398
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
is there a big difference between the 600/650/700?
Like most manufacturers, the longer the bike stays in the model line, the displacement goes UP.....and the off-road emphasis (and effectiveness) goes DOWN. The original design team goes on to other projects and the "newer" bikes are re-designed by the stylists and accountants.

IMO, the new 700 is nothing more than a glamorized street bike that LOOKS like it might have once been related to a real off-road bike. It's kinda like rich families where the original people work hard, take risks, go to war and come back with loads of money.....then the subsequent generations get more and more lazy until the fortune is wasted on silly crap and gambled away.

The 600 model that was built just before the 650 with disc brakes all round and a more modern front fairing (don't remember the model designation since they never made it to the US anyway)is truly the pick of the TA line.....after that....

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 11:05 AM
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #13399
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
What advantages does using the Dommie front fork bring over the oem, is it just wheel travel or is there more?
Just a bit over an inch more travel and almost an inch of ride height increase...see photo (TA leg is RED).

It's a great compliment to the Africa swingarm and particularly effective and not too costly with Ricor Intiminators or RaceTech emulators fitted with better springs to suit rider and conditions. But it is still a damper-rod fork so....nothing really better in the internals.

Greatest advantage is the ability to re-use the AT or TA front fender since the mounts are the same.

Greatest dis-advantage is the necessity to build a brake adapter for the TA wheel. Or....find a SM brake kit for the Dommie with larger disc and adapter for the caliper....Dunno if those are available or not.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 11:06 AM
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #13400
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
forks

Ok all this talk of forks gets me wondering, I see the stock TA fork is a damper rod fork...whatever that is...and I see some forks are cartridge forks, I'm assuming that's better, My question is are the XR forks cartridge? they are already on my TA, not sure of the year but I think they are XR650 forks
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #13401
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Isn't that simpler just to use longer tubes from nx650? And everything else from TA- no hassle with brakes, but forks are longer. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Greatest dis-advantage is the necessity to build a brake adapter for the TA wheel. Or....find a SM brake kit for the Dommie with larger disc and adapter for the caliper....Dunno if those are available or not.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #13402
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
650cc TA have rear suspension linkage from... CBR.... Honda's marketing deparment was even kinda proud of that.
But 700cc TA still have same simple crappy leading axle fork like TA in 88, when released.

Quote:

The 600 model that was built just before the 650 with disc brakes all round and a more modern front fairing (don't remember the model designation since they never made it to the US anyway)is truly the pick of the TA line.....after that....
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #13403
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Like most manufacturers, the longer the bike stays in the model line, the displacement goes UP.....and the off-road emphasis (and effectiveness) goes DOWN. The original design team goes on to other projects and the "newer" bikes are re-designed by the stylists and accountants.

IMO, the new 700 is nothing more than a glamorized street bike that LOOKS like it might have once been related to a real off-road bike. It's kinda like rich families where the original people work hard, take risks, go to war and come back with loads of money.....then the subsequent generations get more and more lazy until the fortune is wasted on silly crap and gambled away.

I've sort of had this same impression, but never really had anything solid to base it on. Can you tell us some specifics of what has gone down in quality or has taken on inappropriate design or priorities?

FWIW I have an 89 600.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #13404
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

The general IDEA.

First, if you're making a recommendation for a buddy in the States, you really only have a choice of thte 89 or 90. There are a very few later models around but they are very rare.

In general, when the bike was designed, the team was trying to emulate some of the characteristics of Hondas Dakar winners.

See Deti's interview here: http://hanzw.home.xs4all.nl/alp-ten2.htm

Starting here, there are 2 directions Honda can go.

(a) Make the bike more true to the original concept.

This would mean adding components to improve off-road performance. Things like better suspension...easily done by adding bits from the XR series being developed at the time. Cartridge forks, better shocks etc.

(b) Listen to the dealers voicing buyer complaints/opinions
Remember Pari-Dakar was virtually unknown in the US at the time, land closures were happening but one could still ride around on a dirt bike and have a good time. We in the States just didn't understand a bike that was a compromise at many different types of riding. We wanted Ninjas, Harleys, BMWs or dirt bikes.

The seats were too tall, the suspension too long etc.

Look at the modern incarnation of the TA, 19 in. front wheel, Cat converter hanging down at the bottom, same forks as in 89. Look at what's happening to the Wee-Strom this year....same focus, lower seat, more street emphasis.

Really, BMW is the only major builder who actually EXPECTS their riders to get the bike dirty and sells you stuff to do it. Triumph MAY be starting... we'll see how they do over time.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #13405
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:

Really, BMW is the only major builder who actually EXPECTS their riders to get the bike dirty and sells you stuff to do it. Triumph MAY be starting... we'll see how they do over time.
r u serious? go to any ds ride and its all orange, you dont see bmw or triumph. 950/990 are the top of the class and far beyond any at or ta honda ever built. KTM and husky are the only makers who sell a full line of competive 50 state legal bikes. Yes the gs 800 bmw is a start as is the the triumph but nothing compared to what ktm offers in agregate
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #13406
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Yeah, I knew I'd leave someone out. I really want to like KTM but all I ever hear are problems, strandings and breakage.....and, NO, I don't really want to start "that" debate again.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 01:29 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #13407
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renxx View Post
Hello! I have 87' Transalp, and i need new oil pump chain. Local dealer says that they cant get it, because they are no longer available. Maybe it will fit from younger TA models, or from some AT?
Try CMSNL - I got a replacement for my 87 model last year from them. I changed it as it got noisy and the new one stayed quiet for all of a couple of days. Now I've learnt to live with it!
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #13408
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,890
Is that chain noise in the right hand side of the rear cylinder, just above the small exhaust guard?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #13409
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,447
Quote:

thanks a lot! will tell him to go with the 650
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #13410
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Yeah, I knew I'd leave someone out. I really want to like KTM but all I ever hear are problems, strandings and breakage.....and, NO, I don't really want to start "that" debate again.
:-))

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote