ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #13456
ferretface
Adventurer
 
ferretface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Oddometer: 56
Hey clockwatcher, you don't happen to know a guy called Arthur with a yellow vstrom do ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Hey ujeni, Thanks for the info, nice to know a little history on the TA.
It seems like we have the same TA-AT habit, I have krautbikemans 98 AT and have 4 TA's, 3 89's and a 90 in red......
thanks again for the info....
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #13457
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis
 
drivefastandswerve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Motogp Capital: Indianapolis, Indiana
Oddometer: 154
Wink Transalp National Rally - October 11-14, Iron Horse Lodge

Just a reminder to all.......October 11-14, 2012,

National Transalp Rally at the Beautiful Iron Horse Lodge in North Carolina.

John, the owner, has a TA himself.

I will see you all there!!

- chuck
__________________
- chuck

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #13458
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Carolina
Oddometer: 506
Arthur?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Hey clockwatcher, you don't happen to know a guy called Arthur with a yellow vstrom do ya?
Maybe........he doesnt owe you money does he???
Where has he been sighted, last I heard he was heading west somewhere.
Surely he hasnt crossed the Atlantic on a vstrom............
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #13459
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv
 
wdeTA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 436
Help - cutting out at altitude/speed

Looking to the collective wisdom here.

On a trip from the Front Range to the West slope here in CO last week I had the TA act up at Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass when running in 5th gear at approx 4500 rpm. It mostly acted like it does when you need to switch to reserve, cutting out but still trying to run. Switching to reserve didn't help, but when I dropped down a gear or two it came back to life. I swapped CDIs mid trip and had it happen on the way back as well, but neither time did I loose the tach, so I don't think it's a CDI problem.

I'm suspecting some kind of vacuum issue to the petcock, since up hill at high altitude in high gear decreases vacuum and dropping down a gear probably increases vacuum in the system, but it could be something totally unrelated. I did a quick check inside the petcock and the vacuum line to it and saw no obvious issues.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks,
__________________
Dale

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #13460
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
Looking to the collective wisdom here.

On a trip from the Front Range to the West slope here in CO last week I had the TA act up at Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass when running in 5th gear at approx 4500 rpm. It mostly acted like it does when you need to switch to reserve, cutting out but still trying to run. Switching to reserve didn't help, but when I dropped down a gear or two it came back to life. I swapped CDIs mid trip and had it happen on the way back as well, but neither time did I loose the tach, so I don't think it's a CDI problem.

I'm suspecting some kind of vacuum issue to the petcock, since up hill at high altitude in high gear decreases vacuum and dropping down a gear probably increases vacuum in the system, but it could be something totally unrelated. I did a quick check inside the petcock and the vacuum line to it and saw no obvious issues.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks,
The first, best "idea" is replace the petcock and see what you've got. There's lots of options for replacing the petcock or the vacume function of the petcock. Pick the easiest one and see if you still have the problem.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #13461
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer
 
happyclam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Trapped in Maryland
Oddometer: 105
promised pics

Hey all, thanks for your help with my "sleeping transalp". I've tried to post pics but not sure how.I put some on transalp .org and even got them on photobucket but still don't know what i'm doing on this site. Anyway, my crashed 89 ta that hadn't run for ten plus years is now running. I had to change out the whole front end with xrl forks, triples, brakes, and wheel, among many other "surprises" and plastic repairs. I love the ride so far as much as i thought i would. I may sell my vstrom to fund the resurrection. I was wondering.... should i upgrade the xrl brake system or try to find a hub/ wheel of a ta? I think the original caliper is salvageable. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm made it to page 230 of this thread, so far. Jeff
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #13462
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,827
Looking for a better front brake ??

I don't believe the TA brake disc will line up with the XRL caliper. I think your best bet for improving front braking would be to find a supermoto setup for the XRL. This should have a spacer for the XR caliper and a larger dia. disc.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #13463
Luke1980
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Limburg, The Netherlands
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
Looking to the collective wisdom here.

On a trip from the Front Range to the West slope here in CO last week I had the TA act up at Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass when running in 5th gear at approx 4500 rpm. It mostly acted like it does when you need to switch to reserve, cutting out but still trying to run. Switching to reserve didn't help, but when I dropped down a gear or two it came back to life. I swapped CDIs mid trip and had it happen on the way back as well, but neither time did I loose the tach, so I don't think it's a CDI problem.

I'm suspecting some kind of vacuum issue to the petcock, since up hill at high altitude in high gear decreases vacuum and dropping down a gear probably increases vacuum in the system, but it could be something totally unrelated. I did a quick check inside the petcock and the vacuum line to it and saw no obvious issues.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks,
I had the same problem a year ago. Changed the rubber inside the petcock and the problem was solved. http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl600v-tr...r_16953me5005/ (check the big rubber disk for cracks).
On Ebay they sell just the rubbers for around $10 - $ 12.

Luke
Luke1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #13464
tgeliot
Topher
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
The first, best "idea" is replace the petcock and see what you've got. There's lots of options for replacing the petcock or the vacume function of the petcock. Pick the easiest one and see if you still have the problem.
I had problems similar to this, where in retrospect the cause was that I ran the engine long and hard, long enough to use up all the fuel in the reserve bowls in the carbs. The problem was indeed the petcock. The petcock has two valves; in theory, both have to be open to get fuel. There's the obvious one controlled by turning the handle, and then the second one controlled by the vacuum. Well that second one had a HUGE hole in its diaphram, so it never "opened" -- except that it was also quite leaky, so a fair amount of fuel got through even when it was "closed". The operative phrase here is "fair amount". I could exceed that by running long and hard.

I removed the four screws that hold on the petcock cover (watch out, there's a spring in there that wants to jump out), and found a spring and the rubber diaphram with a hole easily large enough to poke a pencil through. I replaced that with a piece of heavy plastic from a cut-up shopping bag (much heavier than a grocery bag; you can see the scrap in the photo), and the bike has been great since (including a 5K mile run to Canada, with plenty of max-throttle highway riding).



Yes, that's a condom among my repair supplies there. I ended up not using it.

EDIT: I see that someone says you can buy the proper part on eBay, if you have time, I would definitely choose that over using a cut-up shopping bag, or even a condom. I did my repair late at night the eve before leaving for Canada. Yeah, great way to start a trip . . .

Pictures of that trip.
__________________
Topher
1989 Transalp. Sort of.
I don't have a bucket list, I have a post-bucket list. So far it includes
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.

tgeliot screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 01:30 PM
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #13465
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer
 
happyclam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Trapped in Maryland
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I don't believe the TA brake disc will line up with the XRL caliper. I think your best bet for improving front braking would be to find a supermoto setup for the XRL. This should have a spacer for the XR caliper and a larger dia. disc.
Thanks ladder, i've read a lot of your previous posts...very helpful. I think that's the way i'm leaning, but if i could get a ta wheel/hub assembly, my ta caliper would probably work better than an xrl? It's bigger and the rotor has 6 mounting bolts vrs. the xrl has only 4.(which i assume would be weaker).? I just don't know what would be better in the end..or if it even matters...
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #13466
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer
 
B DIRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Just a reminder to all.......October 11-14, 2012,

National Transalp Rally at the Beautiful Iron Horse Lodge in North Carolina.

John, the owner, has a TA himself.

I will see you all there!!

- chuck

Oh man Im in!
__________________
2002 XR650R (plated), 2000 XR650R (trophy), 1990 Transalp, 2002 CR125R (woods weapon), 1977 CT90, 2009 Big Red
B DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #13467
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,827
This will only work if the TA caliper will bolt up to the XR forks

AND

Will also line up with the TA disc.

If this does indeed work you will have just discovered a great TA improvement and should also run right out and buy a Lottery ticket.....not that I'm pessimistic...I really hope it works...not highly probable.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #13468
ferretface
Adventurer
 
ferretface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Oddometer: 56
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Maybe........he doesnt owe you money does he???
Where has he been sighted, last I heard he was heading west somewhere.
Surely he hasnt crossed the Atlantic on a vstrom............
Ha ha! No - I met him in Moab -Utah about a week ago and he mentioned a friend who owned 5 transalps. I guessed there can't be too many people in the country with a garage full of them!
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #13469
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv
 
wdeTA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 436
Help - cutting out at altitude/speed

Thanks everyone for basically confirming my initial thoughts on a vacuum issue somehow related to the petcock. I last rebuilt it a couple years ago which isn't really that long ago, and when I just took it apart I saw no real problem, so I was looking for other possibilities as well. I have a spare rebuild kit (bought two last time), so I'll just put it in and hope for the best since I can't easily test that it works locally. Have to wait until I ride back up into the mountains again which may not be until I head to Steamboat in a few weeks.

Thanks
__________________
Dale

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #13470
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
Thanks everyone for basically confirming my initial thoughts on a vacuum issue somehow related to the petcock. I last rebuilt it a couple years ago which isn't really that long ago, and when I just took it apart I saw no real problem, so I was looking for other possibilities as well. I have a spare rebuild kit (bought two last time), so I'll just put it in and hope for the best since I can't easily test that it works locally. Have to wait until I ride back up into the mountains again which may not be until I head to Steamboat in a few weeks.

Thanks
Don't see why a functioning vacume petcock at say 6k ft will cause problems at say 10k ft. But there are a host of other things that might give that symptom. So at this point it's gonna be hard to put a finger on it. You need to start eliminating stuff. Does it idle good--- slow jets. Choke seals/cables. Carb vent hoses. Air filter, vent filters. Vacume hose split. Spark plugs/ plug caps. etc. Sorry, not much help, but you gotta start somewhere.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014