Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #13711
WilliamSven
samobilemechanic.com

Oddometer: 24
Its not a theory. its not anything imagination based. its better at (almost totally) keeping up with big GS and KTM on west Texas straights with pretty much no speed limit.

I learned it from old bike mechanics that graduated from Harley College ( yeah, I too was amazed there was such a thing..)

" Hotter exhaust is less dense and easier to push out of the pipe."

im not a physics guy, im this guy, www.samobilemechanic.com .. I work on all sorts of stuff, i see power gains in mods customers have done, I see the lack of results from useless bolt on crap, DAILY.

Hotter exhaust vacates the port faster. cool it down, it does not flow as fast. In the words of a guy with almost a 200 HP race Buell "exhaust insulation is one of the most basic important performance mods you should do to any motor"

my new way of doing it, I soak the exhaust wrap in thinned down ceramic exhaust paint overnight.. then wrap it wet. once it dries its there forever. it like, "sets" the wrap. I didnt do my alp this way, I hadnt thought of soaking it in thinned out exhaust paint yet... I just soaked it in water as its supposed to be done.

anybody here try the www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm aftermarket programmable CDI on an old Alp yet? Im thinkitn it might be a way to advance the timing a little bit, make it want higher octane, but blow the mix harder with those quad plugs.

WilliamSven screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:52 PM
WilliamSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #13712
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
I haven't tried the Czech CDI box but I did have quite an e-mail Q/A back and forth with them.

My understanding was that the box was adjustable for timing at idle only. The actual advance curve was identical to that set by Honda. Since my boxes and spares are still OK, I didn't see the point in getting the other box.

At some point I plan to play with the timing by physically moving the crank sensors a few degs more advance, this should shift the entire curve.

Whether its intake, exhaust, timing, cams etc, there just doesn't seem to be any relatively inexpensive way of pulling more power from the TA. I think about it quite a bit, but then when I ride the bike, I find myself thinking that it's not really all that necessary.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #13713
WilliamSven
samobilemechanic.com

Oddometer: 24
im not sure what version of the software they have works with the czeck TransAlp cdi , if its DC-CDI-P.exe software, there seems to be an option in there ,

1 ignition per revolution
1 ignition per 2 revolutions ( camshaft )
2 ignitions per revolution
3 ignitions per revolution -

IF this is similar to what an MSD does, throw more sparks per rotation, it does add power.. below a certian rpm anyway.

just looking if anyone had messed with this at all.
WilliamSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #13714
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis

Oddometer: 154
Wicked Ok, one more time, National Transalp Rally, 11-14 Oct, 12

The Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge is proud to present the 2012 Fall Trans Alp
rally at our facility starting October 11-14th.

We will have dual sport rides for the area, tech session and upgrades
discussion, door prizes, and beer drinking around the campfire at night.

The time of year is peak leaf season here and the weather is usually
fantastic for camping or just enjoying the mountains. Couple that with a
bunch of TA riders and we have chemistry for a great annual rally.

Currently we have lots of cabins, rooms, and tenting camping plus RV spots
so making plans to attend the rally as soon as possible.

Due to the limited number of TA's I plan on including all NX and XLR
riders of the era.

Call the Ironhorse at 828-479-3864 or email me at john@ironhorsenc.com for
updates.

A rally like this take participation and this group will become the
nucleus of future rallies.

Lets make this a great one.

Let me know if you are available and invite friends

John Powell
Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge
Robbinsville, NC
828-479-3864 Office
404-735-0554 Cell
john@ironhorsenc.com
www.ironhorsenc.com

This message brought to you by Chuck..............you are welcome!

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #13715
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post

What a cute little muffler. Is it loud?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #13716
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
What a cute little muffler. Is it loud?
Might be. Don't know yet. Can't be much louder than that cut down, bent up Yoshi, that was on it and I didn't want to spend the $$$ on one of thoes Italian mufflers (or Staintune) at the time. At least this one has a removable end cap I can take off and put in a spark arrestor/silencer, and the aluminium and titainium matches the bright ceramic color of the pipes. Still gotta make a guard for the mid pipe. I'm still trying to sort out other uncompleted/unfinished alterations and upgrades that weren't quiet done to my liking. Then we'll see how loud this thing is. Along that line, does anyone have the triangle linkage that connects the shock to the swing arm for RD04. I've already got the swing arm. Thanks

2bold2getold screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 04:23 PM
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #13717
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
The only thing I've read that makes any sense at all is, Hotter exhaust is less dense and easier to push out of the pipe.
Doing purely armchair physics, I'll point out that hotter gasses are less dense only if they have all the room in the world to expand. If they're constrained by something like a muffler, then they'll be at a higher pressure than they would be at a lower temperature, and surely that higher pressure would push back on gasses trying to leave the engine.

The real lesson here is that all such analysis is speculative, and what we really would need is carefully gathered experimental evidence.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #13718
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Doing purely armchair physics, I'll point out that hotter gasses are less dense only if they have all the room in the world to expand. If they're constrained by something like a muffler, then they'll be at a higher pressure than they would be at a lower temperature, and surely that higher pressure would push back on gasses trying to leave the engine.

The real lesson here is that all such analysis is speculative, and what we really would need is carefully gathered experimental evidence.
Yup, lots of variables involved. To a large degree, ICEs are limited by the efficencies of their intake and exhaust designs. Even a before and after dyno tests has changing variables (presure/temps/humidity, etc) that can skew results. If wraping the exhaust has the benefit of keeping the heat off your leg and you think it's a power boost and you don't mind the look. As someone said, "The beauty's in the eye of the beer holder". And It's cheep, then why not. On the othe hand, that ceramic coating was just $15 a foot.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #13719
shimazaki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Here is a happy snap of my bike on last weekend's 1,550 km tour to Marree in outback Australia.

Don't get the idea that all of Australia looks this good; here is what the desert looks like, further north:

Backonthebike is there any other option beside cutting the side plastics, I've been learning on the transalp the ways of off road, and off course learning is a bit hard for the plastics!! I would like to do something similar like you have in your bike... does anyone knows an alternative of cutting the original plastics??
Right now I have my TA completely dressed off, naked, and off roas "season" is starting, I want her to by beatiful as always :)
thanks
shimazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #13720
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
I don't know very deep details, bet German made CDI's I bought, now have possibility to use original ignition settings (which is for 91octane fuel) and for 95octance fuel. As I'm mostly using 98, so I left 95 option.

As I said, fuel consumption with same style riding dropped by 0.8 l/100km with these new modern CDS's comparing to old stock I had. No other changes where done to bike, just plain CDI swap. Noticeable difference. I think, well worth to consider such upgrade.

One fellow rider here also bought that Chech CDI unit, but he was not able to see any difference between stock and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I haven't tried the Czech CDI box but I did have quite an e-mail Q/A back and forth with them.

My understanding was that the box was adjustable for timing at idle only. The actual advance curve was identical to that set by Honda. Since my boxes and spares are still OK, I didn't see the point in getting the other box.

At some point I plan to play with the timing by physically moving the crank sensors a few degs more advance, this should shift the entire curve.

Whether its intake, exhaust, timing, cams etc, there just doesn't seem to be any relatively inexpensive way of pulling more power from the TA. I think about it quite a bit, but then when I ride the bike, I find myself thinking that it's not really all that necessary.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #13721
Heno
Lover Of Perfection

Oddometer: 60
Transalp 700

I am not sure, If I posted this pics already, but this is how my TA 700 looked like before I sold it and bought Africa

and finally...

Heno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #13722
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Hey transalp guys. I found rim in my garage which doesnt belong to my Africa Twin.
Maybe you are interested:

Click
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #13723
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
CDIs questions

Quote:
German made CDI's I bought, now have possibility to use original ignition settings (which is for 91octane fuel) and for 95octance fuel.
Where did you get these?

How are they adjusted? A simple switch?

Any photos available? Cost?

These would be nice to have for the US. Set for better fuel most of the time but able to adjust downward for Baja/Mexico and some of the more "odd" fuels you get in the back areas of Utah and New Mexico.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #13724
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heno View Post
I am not sure, If I posted this pics already, but this is how my TA 700 looked like before I sold it and bought Africa

and finally...

Ha I spy one of my other bikes, my XTZ660
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #13725
Chartan
n00b

Oddometer: 5

'89 Transalp