Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #13936
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
So if your engine is running and you put the bike in gear and then put the side stand down the engine does not die right?

I knew there were a lot of changes to the 87/88 vs 89 and up models, I just didn't remember this one. The wiring harness would also have to be different but that is not mentioned in the list of changes.
Yes, that is correct. No side stand switch on the 87 H&J's (at least not on the Canadian versions) - stand can be down and the bike will go in gear and ride away. I've had to make a conscious effort to always glance down before starting to move to ensure that the stand is fully up.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #13937
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 663
Sidestand switch.

Now here's an interesting one for you.
When I rebuilt my 1987 600cc TA with the original motor, I didn't have either a side stand switch, nor a neutral gear switch.
Now that I have installed a late model Hawk 650cc and plugged it all into the original wiring loom, my starter will only activate if the bike is in neutral (i.e. it will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in).
So, it occurs to me that there was some superfluous capacity in the original loom which spoke to a neutral position indicator which wasn't installed back in 1987.
Go figure!

Cheers
Tim

Backonthebike screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 05:32 PM
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #13938
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
I was actually looking at Transalps in Japan and it seemed they didn't come cheap with the yen. Also, I could not find an XL600v...only XL400v.
Lot's of 700's but I can only bring in a bike that is over 15 years old.

They certainly have some nice specimens over there including Africa Twins and like the Germans they seem to take care of their stuff well.
The problem over here in Japan are the license restrictions.

I only got a so-called "chu-gatta" license which is good for bikes upto 400ccm. Anything bigger than that requires an "o-gatta" license. But to be quite honest, the 400 engine is more than enough for me. Speed limit max 100 km/h, so I really don't need anything "stronger".
klausdorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #13939
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
With regards to a neutral switch, I have always converted my switch into an "anti theft switch" that is hidden on the bike. Using a toggle switch, I can throw it when I walk away from the bike and no matter what...the bike goes no where. To date I can say it has caused me at least 3 occasions where it has worked on me quite well.

None-the-less, I always start my bikes with the clutch pulled in thereby mitigating a launch in gear.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #13940
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
Congratulations! If you have this 15 year registration rule, that's means now US TA fans can start enjoy these newer TA's..
Bike looks exactly like I got mine XL600V-R from Germany- also like new condition with similar mileage, just it was 9 years back.

Suspension link is made by some German company (I cannot recall name now), these show up time by time in ebay.de together with side stand, which, I think, is also made by this company and not user's custom made.
Thanks for that info! I may have to find an OEM suspension link on ebay.de should I ever want to 'jack it up' again in the future.

Question for you...or anyone out there. Will the following pic of a grab rail from a 600-V-W or X model fit my '96 -T model? It looks like it should bolt right up but I'm not really sure.

Also... if anyone out there in The Federal Republic of Germany comes across a (used & good condition) luggage system suitable for my TA
i would certainly be interested. I need sidebags and racks and not necessarily the top case. Even just the racks only I would be interested in. PM me. I have a mailing address in Germany so that's as far as it would need to go on your end. A centerstand too if you happen to stumble upon one. thanks!

GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #13941
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
Welcome... congrats - and wow.
I think I will go fetch a ''99 anniversary model in 2014...
Providing the Feds don't abolish the '15 year rule' in which their was talk
that they would....well then we shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #13942
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Also... if anyone out there in The Federal Republic of Germany comes across a (used & good condition) luggage system suitable for my TA
i would certainly be interested. I need sidebags and racks and not necessarily the top case. Even just the racks only I would be interested in. PM me. I have a mailing address in Germany so that's as far as it would need to go on your end. A centerstand too if you happen to stumble upon one. thanks!
Maybe you want to check here from time to time (sorry it's all in German):
http://www.transalp.de/boerse/?tx_gh...i1%5Bad%5D=895
It's the website of the German TA riders. Right now there is this one offer and without the rack.
In addition, I got my Junior cases from this company (shipped to Japan and it came much cheaper than over here):
http://www.mml-motorradzubehoer.de/webshop/

They got a 10% discount until 30 November. In addition, if you talk to them (kindly) they will subtract the surplus tax (or whatever you call it). Hope this helps!?!?!
klausdorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #13943
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausdorth View Post
Maybe you want to check here from time to time (sorry it's all in German):
http://www.transalp.de/boerse/?tx_gh...i1%5Bad%5D=895
It's the website of the German TA riders. Right now there is this one offer and without the rack.
In addition, I got my Junior cases from this company (shipped to Japan and it came much cheaper than over here):
http://www.mml-motorradzubehoer.de/webshop/

They got a 10% discount until 30 November. In addition, if you talk to them (kindly) they will subtract the surplus tax (or whatever you call it). Hope this helps!?!?!
Thanks for those links Klaus.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #13944
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
Wayne,

I'm betting the silver bits will bolt right up...just a wild-ass guess though.

As far as racks are concerned.....I like the way the Givi Wingracks look on the TA. They fit the styling of the bike when the bags are not there and have their own rear turn signals that don't get in the way of the bags. The mounting bars are not particularly high quality but they seem to be strong. Chris's and mine held up to our NAATS ride and for some time afterward with no problems.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #13945
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Providing the Feds don't abolish the '15 year rule' in which their was talk
that they would....well then we shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Unfortunately the required signatures were not gathered and the 25 year rule is still in place...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #13946
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
...I knew there were a lot of changes to the 87/88 vs 89 and up models, I just didn't remember this one. The wiring harness would also have to be different but that is not mentioned in the list of changes.
List of modifications post 87/88 model (from Deti's Transalp Site)

Slight modification of graphical decoration (the words: HONDA, 600V, Transalp and Rally Touring, changed size and place), new colours, new instrument panel, new headlamp reflector, new higher windscreen, new rear shock and ProLink levers, new front suspension tubes and springs, new exhaust, extra side-stand panel light and switch, new cylinders, new engine base joints, new exhaust valves, new valve springs, new valve guides, new cylinder head joints, new overhead cam, new cylinder heads, new crank, new engine-oil compartment, new cam support brackets, new distribution chains, new whole clutch system (compartment, lever, disks, plates, etc), new oil pump, new oil pump engagement gears and sprockets, new water pump, new ignition system (ignition coils, impulse coils, CDI units), new starter sprocket (38/12 teeth), new starter, new alternator, new gearbox output sprocket head and cover, new gear cams, pins and synch sprockets for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, new gear selection plate and guides, new rear break drum, new synch carburators cam, new ignition break-circuit (Run/Off), new side fairing and skid plate mounting points (that's why crashbars for post-89 models won't fit to pre-89 ones, and vice versa

The '87s in Canada do have the neutral light switch on the dash... as well as a clutch switch - seems there were two slightly different models released in '87 so I assume Canada got the September prototype and Australia got the earlier February proto-prototype.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #13947
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Wayne,

I'm betting the silver bits will bolt right up...just a wild-ass guess though.

As far as racks are concerned.....I like the way the Givi Wingracks look on the TA. They fit the styling of the bike when the bags are not there and have their own rear turn signals that don't get in the way of the bags. The mounting bars are not particularly high quality but they seem to be strong. Chris's and mine held up to our NAATS ride and for some time afterward with no problems.
Thanks Ray. That's the sort of info I'm after. I agree they look good without the bags as opposed to the tubular type. Maybe source the TA wingracks in europe and just buy the bags here. I'll continue to google away...its not like I need them right away. -10 C here today.
I'm thinking that grab bar will bolt on too...but I'm not 100% either. I need to print that picture off and head to garage and make a good comparison.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #13948
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
Put on the furry slippers....it's OK if they have bunnies on them, the bikes won't mind.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #13949
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Unfortunately the required signatures were not gathered and the 25 year rule is still in place...
Transport Canada made the 15 year rule here and now their stuck with it ....i'm ok with it . Hence they have been overwelmed by imported right hand drive vehicles from Japan. Western Canada is full of them.
http://www.rightdrive.ca/

That in turn has raised safety concerns and pissing off the domestic dealers. The following story is a bit old now and they seem to be here to stay.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/10...and-drive.html
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #13950
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
You can use suspension link also from any of XRV RD' models, they all are same.

That grab rail is originally from PD10 and will fit, more details here:
http://www.still-laughin.com/en/tune_no029.html

Luggage rack, as Ray said, I would recommend also Givi Wingrack, I'm going to change existing rack on my bike to these Wingrack's as well.

Quote:
Thanks for that info! I may have to find an OEM suspension link on ebay.de should I ever want to 'jack it up' again in the future.

Question for you...or anyone out there. Will the following pic of a grab rail from a 600-V-W or X model fit my '96 -T model? It looks like it should bolt right up but I'm not really sure.

ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote