User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #14026
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,900
2bold,

Is that the original tubing on the intake port to fuel valve?

If so, are you sure it's not cracked or harder than a galvanized pipe? Maybe that's why you idle mix is so rich.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #14027
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
2bold,

Is that the original tubing on the intake port to fuel valve?

If so, are you sure it's not cracked or harder than a galvanized pipe? Maybe that's why you idle mix is so rich.
Yeah, that's the one that was on it when I got it for the vacuum pump. Got all new fuel lines and a bunch of other stuff. It's been apart in the garage for several months now while I rework some of the AT installation, wiring, add relays/fuse pannel, lights, horn, cruise control, heated grips, exhaust, rear fender treatment, rear bag racks/crash bars, etc. And change out the RD07 clocks out, that was on it, for RD04 clocks. I can't seem to find a place to stop.

2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #14028
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
SS brake line

I've been searching for answer to this but cannot find (likely due to poor forum searching skills). I'm getting a SS brake line for my 87. Can someone advise on ideal length? I've seen 44" mentioned but cannot confirm if this is correct.

Cheers and happy holidays

Rick
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #14029
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,734
Do these bags make my ass look fat?

I ordered up a set of smaller panniers for my Transalp but had these larger ones from another bike. I decided to fit the big ones up today and am thinking I may need a Wide Load sign on the back now.

Oh well, they will hold lots of stuff and don't have to be on the bike all the time.

Marc
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #14030
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,900
Lomax,

I think you should call you bike "Michelle". Do not try to split lanes carrying those.

2Bold,

Like your idle speed adjuster. Think I'll copy it. It will save me from burning my knuckles all the time.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #14031
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lomax,

I think you should call you bike "Michelle". Do not try to split lanes carrying those#

2Bold,

Like your idle speed adjuster. Think I'll copy it. It will save me from burning my knuckles all the time.
Yep, that was the plan. A friend gave me a piece of that flex cable, he uses it to make drive shafts for RC race boats. I silver soldered a piece of brass tubing on a cut off screw on the carb end and made a knob for the other end. Cut a little slot in the cyl fins right under the throttle wheel as a guide and for a little extra clearance. Also relocated the pump for more clearance and cooling. If you have trouble finding that flex cable, let me know and I'll find out where he got it. Really thinking about doin your lowered pegs mod too.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 03:42 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #14032
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Do these bags make my ass look fat?

Marc
you bike must be like...130cm wide, I guess.

Anyway, is that a Suzuki 40F0 (gsxr) exhaust you have there? I'm very interested to hear how it sounds on a Transalp...
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #14033
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
you bike must be like...130cm wide, I guess.

Anyway, is that a Suzuki 40F0 (gsxr) exhaust you have there? I'm very interested to hear how it sounds on a Transalp...
The guy I got it from said it was a Hayabusa muffler. I does sound very good and is not loud at all. A nice deep throaty sound. It is very light. It looks like a bit of welding and shaping were done to get it to fit properly. The bike runs great with it on there, It actually impresses me for a 600cc bike.

Marc
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #14034
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
the begining, test pic

happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #14035
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

couple more, i think

Old 12-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #14036
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

some more

Sorry to take so long on these pics, it's a long story.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #14037
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

fast forward

this is her now. I named her Roxie, cause when i got her running she rocked back and forth on my make shift stand. I swear it was like she was coming back from the dead...and couldn't wait to run.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #14038
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks

Couldn't of done it without this thread and all your help. More questions are sure to come. Jeff. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #14039
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyclam View Post
Couldn't of done it without this thread and all your help. More questions are sure to come. Jeff. Merry Christmas.
Congratulations on resurecting that poor bike from the dead. You've done a lot of good work. Looks like your getting close. Keep it coming.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #14040
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
There's a lot going on in carbs so there are a lot of questions for you.
Can you be more specific here? What do you mean by "doesn't work right"? Do the choke slides move in and out of the carbs? Are the soft sealing ends of the choke plungers in good shape? Do the plungers move in and out of the carbs without binding? Are the plastic covers that thread into the carbs in good shape?

Does the bike start easier with the choke on? Once warmed up does activating the choke make the bike run so rich it slows the idle speed and eventually dies?....it should.Yes

The plungers were corroded, left side originally stuck. I cleaned them and polished with white dremel polish tool. Soft ends i don't recall at all. they slide fine now.Plastic is good. The best discription I can think of is i need more choke, as it warms i back it off just like my old xrl.

I'm assuming you mean you drilled out the pilot mixture adjusting screw plugs and now have access to the screws. If you just did this does it mean that you "boiled" the carbs with those screws in place?

What does "boiled the carbs" actually mean? Yes boiled them in water. worked great. Guess i messed up leaving those puppies in.

OK..if you soaked the carbs or something with the pilot mixture adjusting screws in place, you likely did something nasty to the tiny O-rings that live at the end of those screws. Those screws, the small spring, small washer and tiny O-ring should be removed before soaking/boiling the carbs in anything.
I'll check soon.
These mixture screws fine tune the idle mixture of the carbs so if they are dirty, clogged or not sealing due to O-ring damage you will not be able to adjust idle mixture.Gotcha.

Correct idle mixture should be achieved with the screws set between 1/2 and 3 turns out. When turning the screws in do not bottom them hard into the carb body...they are small sensitive tapers.Didn't hurt them.

When removing these screws from the carb for cleaning and inspection be careful. The screw will come out first, then a small spring, then a tiny washer and then a tiny O-ring. You may have to tap the carb on the bench to dislodge the washer and O-ring. The O-ring should not be flattened torn, stretched or partially dissolved by a carb-cleaning solution.

Can't wait to see....

Raising the needles makes the mixture richer between 1/3 and 3/4 throttle...or there abouts. You should not have to change this in the TA unless you've done something radical to the airbox or exhaust.Stock for now.

Photos would be a huge help
ok