ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #14266
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,031
Much rather have that than a BMW but yes, the price kills it for me.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #14267
ferretface
Adventurer
 
ferretface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
That thread went to Hell fast.

As much as I like the @'s looks, $9500 is a lot of $ for a 21 yo bike. A Triumph Tiger 800XC would cost a bit more and not look near as cool but would have nearly twice the hp, a six speed gearbox, and tubeless tires if you spring for the Exploere XC.
Yeah I had to bite my lip on that thread and ignore it. The guy is dreaming if he thinks it's worth that kinda money



On another topic.....

Has anyone been able to source a replacement bush/cushion for the rear suspension link on the transalp?

Honda part number 52486-MM9-000 - It looks to have been discontinued.
.
.
__________________
Two Brits traveling overland through Canada, USA, Mexico, Central and South America by motorcycle.

http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #14268
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
52486-MM9-000
Are you certain you're looking at the correct part.

This is for the first model TAs ('87 I think) that used bushings rather than needle bearings in the suspension linkage. (note the grease fittings in the drawing).

If you really need that part, it would not be too awfully difficult to make on a lathe.

If you do have a bike with bushings you could likely update to the needle bearing bits without too much difficulty.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #14269
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JBMorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: NH
Oddometer: 230
Pre-delve carb and tuning questions

Spring is creeping up so I feel the need to get the Transalp tuned and ready to go any day now!


My bike has a poorly installed Supertrapp, stock filter, and seems quite loud. I believe the bike runs rich in general. There is a hefty deposit of black sooty crap at the end of the muffler on my turn signal and nearby parts and my mileage is right around 39-40mpg. So what I would like to do is tune the bike and maybe re-jet it so that it runs cleaner, quieter, and maybe even with better fuel economy. Part of this tuning will include a valve clearance check, new plugs, etc.

The exhaust questions first:

-The Supertrapp isn't well connected to the header pipe. I tried using the clamp that comes with the stock muffler to tighten the connection, but I still feel exhaust leaking out of that spot. Should there be a gasket at the muffler-head pipe connection? There is one in the parts fiche for the stock muffler.

-I am currently running 6 discs on the Supertrapp and am okay with that volume. Quieter would be even better. I think it probably needs a repack. What is a good source for packing material?

Carb Questions:

-I haven't torn into the carbs yet to see what's in there, but would folks like to suggest a baseline jetting setup for a Supertrapp and stock air filter? I find the bike to be powerful enough so I'm looking mostly for smooth running.

-I keep finding posts about these filters somewhere near the carbs that tend to vaporize into dust. I am almost certain this has happened on my bike, given its previous owners' care. I can't find these on the parts fiche, though? Does anybody have a part number?

-Where do I get the jets? The Honda parts diagrams only list stock sizes and I don't know enough about them to order otherwise.
Any other suggestions about carb maintenance while I'm in there?

Two unrelated questions:
Has anyone used Dirtskins in place of fork gaitors? Mine are rubbish and look terrible, so I was considering Dirtskins as a cheap alternative.

Also, I'm having trouble identifying footpegs people are using on their Transalps. I don't like the rubber covered stock ones but I also don't want to spend $165 for fancy Pivot Pegs. What other models use similar pegs?

Thanks!
Jeremy B
JBMorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #14270
ferretface
Adventurer
 
ferretface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Are you certain you're looking at the correct part.

This is for the first model TAs ('87 I think) that used bushings rather than needle bearings in the suspension linkage. (note the grease fittings in the drawing).

If you really need that part, it would not be too awfully difficult to make on a lathe.

If you do have a bike with bushings you could likely update to the needle bearing bits without too much difficulty.
Hi Ladder

Yep it's the 87 model. The bush looks fine (no corrosion) but it's not as snug a fit as the other bushings in the linkage. I'll look into the needle bearings option - thanks!
__________________
Two Brits traveling overland through Canada, USA, Mexico, Central and South America by motorcycle.

http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #14271
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Should there be a gasket at the muffler-head pipe connection?
Yes but I don't know how the ST pipe was designed. This part is still available.

Quote:
What is a good source for packing material?
Any decent shop should have packing material. Use the stuff specifically for motorcycle silencers.


Quote:
baseline jetting setup for a Supertrapp and stock air filter? I find the bike to be powerful enough so I'm looking mostly for smooth running.
Most TAs seem to tolerate different silencers without a jetting change. They may be jetted a bit rich to begin with or - more likely - the restriction if any is on the intake side. Carlos is using a GSXR can, I'm running a DRZ 400 can...there are many others.

Quote:
The Honda parts diagrams only list stock sizes and I don't know enough about them to order otherwise.
If your bike has had poor air filter maintenance (check to make certain the air filter is sealing on the right side of the airbox) you might find your best improvement to be replacing the jet needles and needle jets in the carbs. If there are obvious wear spots on the needles, the bike will run rich. Replacement is the only real option.

Quote:
I can't find these on the parts fiche, though? Does anybody have a part number?
These are just a small rectangle of grey foam. I'd never pay for a Honda part here. Just go the the local hardware store, buy a green foam air filter for a lawnmower for a few dollars. Get out the scissors and make your own foam bits. Oil the foam lightly.


Quote:
I don't like the rubber covered stock ones but I also don't want to spend $165 for fancy Pivot Pegs. What other models use similar pegs?

The rubber inserts can be removed by removing the 6mm bolt on the bottom center. You can easily weld a "u" shaped extension onto the stock pegs to make them wider.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #14272
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JBMorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: NH
Oddometer: 230
Thanks for the help, Ladder. I now see where the foam goes. It's called the "sub air filter" on the parts diagram. Much clearer now.
I see that the muffler packing material is your regular old fiberglass. I was bouncing around Supertrapp's site and saw some choices they had that seemed very expensive so I thought there was something special about it. Not so, though.

You may be right about needing new jet needles. I haven't torn into the bike yet, but I'd like to line up some parts so I can get the job done in a weekend. Honda doesn't sell the needles anymore. Would the next best thing be to get an aftermarket jetting kit that includes them? I have heard mixed reviews of Dynojet's kits. There's another supplier on ebay called Sigma, but their kits look very similar.
Also, these suppliers don't seem to include any idle jets. Where could I find a #40 idle jet if I wanted to replace my originals?
Thanks again!
JBMorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #14273
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Thanks for the help, Ladder. Where could I find a #40 idle jet if I wanted to replace my originals?
Thanks again!
Ray is a know it all and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either. He and a few others here are part of an elite group of walking/riding encyclopedias. Any good bike shop will have those jets.
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #14274
showkey
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wausau
Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Thanks for the help, Ladder. I now see where the foam goes. It's called the "sub air filter" on the parts diagram. Much clearer now.
I see that the muffler packing material is your regular old fiberglass. I was bouncing around Supertrapp's site and saw some choices they had that seemed very expensive so I thought there was something special about it. Not so, though.

You may be right about needing new jet needles. I haven't torn into the bike yet, but I'd like to line up some parts so I can get the job done in a weekend. Honda doesn't sell the needles anymore. Would the next best thing be to get an aftermarket jetting kit that includes them? I have heard mixed reviews of Dynojet's kits. There's another supplier on ebay called Sigma, but their kits look very similar.
Also, these suppliers don't seem to include any idle jets. Where could I find a #40 idle jet if I wanted to replace my originals?
Thanks again!

Search thread for pilot jet:

#40 pilot jet Honda US part # 99103-427-0400

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t#post18736990

Honda part # is there and other aftermarket purchase locations.

I would be shocked if the stock needles are worn. On older high mileage bikes stuck choke and choke cables (enrichener valve) and damaged carbs diaphragms far more common.
__________________
1982 CX500 Turbo ,2006 ST1300, 2012 NC700X
1971 CT90,1981 C70, 1986 TRX 250,
1993 TRX300 4X4, 2001 TRX500 4x4, 1987 XR250L
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #14275
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball
 
dfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: FunkyTown
Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Also, I'm having trouble identifying footpegs people are using on their Transalps. I don't like the rubber covered stock ones but I also don't want to spend $165 for fancy Pivot Pegs. What other models use similar pegs?

Thanks!
Jeremy B
IMS Super Stock, work well for me, a small amount of grinding is necessary IIRC

dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #14276
layzrider
Layzrider
 
layzrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: vancouver, wa
Oddometer: 124
the dirt skins work fine


I have the dirt skins on my xr250 also. They work fine. Mainly for looks. I think regular fork boots would keep out more mud, but I try to stay out of the mud.
layzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #14277
Dr E
Chasing after theory
 
Dr E's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 143
New Shock Ordered...

Well, after going with a rebuilt CR250 shock and heavier spring I have come to the decision that while I like the ride height, I should have listened to those that said the ride may be mushy. That was an understatement as the bike basically takes the spring to 60% compression when allowed to sit on the shock and ends up lower that she sat on the blown OEM shock!

So, with my first thought was looking for a new upgraded spring for the 250 shock, but the more I dug and the more I read on new shocks, I decided that a new shock was needed. I did look at Wilbur and a number of others, but in the end, it came down to customer service and help and the folks at EPM are going to build me a new shock based on the TA specs, but the 250 length and travel. The new travel will be about 1 1/2 inches longer than the OEM. New travel length will be 4". I should have it in three weeks, but before they construct it, they will have engineering review my specs and give me a call before fabrication. Total bill is only $620 delivered.

I will post pics as soon as I have them...otherwise the build continues!

Eric
__________________
Life is the last thing you experience before you die...living is what you do every day to get you to that point...
Dr E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #14278
Rob 110
Adventurer
 
Rob 110's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: UK, OK?
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
IMS Super Stock, work well for me, a small amount of grinding is necessary IIRC

i got these from China for 15, only took 9 days to come
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FootPegs-F...item4d0367b2b6
__________________
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...b110/all-1.png
Dirty R30 CCM
Filty 404 CCM
Rob 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #14279
wrryder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wrryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 166
http://jetsrus.com/ has the #40 slow jets you're looking for. I just bought some and they did the trick. About $7 bucks each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Spring is creeping up so I feel the need to get the Transalp tuned and ready to go any day now!


My bike has a poorly installed Supertrapp, stock filter, and seems quite loud. I believe the bike runs rich in general. There is a hefty deposit of black sooty crap at the end of the muffler on my turn signal and nearby parts and my mileage is right around 39-40mpg. So what I would like to do is tune the bike and maybe re-jet it so that it runs cleaner, quieter, and maybe even with better fuel economy. Part of this tuning will include a valve clearance check, new plugs, etc.

The exhaust questions first:

-The Supertrapp isn't well connected to the header pipe. I tried using the clamp that comes with the stock muffler to tighten the connection, but I still feel exhaust leaking out of that spot. Should there be a gasket at the muffler-head pipe connection? There is one in the parts fiche for the stock muffler.

-I am currently running 6 discs on the Supertrapp and am okay with that volume. Quieter would be even better. I think it probably needs a repack. What is a good source for packing material?

Carb Questions:

-I haven't torn into the carbs yet to see what's in there, but would folks like to suggest a baseline jetting setup for a Supertrapp and stock air filter? I find the bike to be powerful enough so I'm looking mostly for smooth running.

-I keep finding posts about these filters somewhere near the carbs that tend to vaporize into dust. I am almost certain this has happened on my bike, given its previous owners' care. I can't find these on the parts fiche, though? Does anybody have a part number?

-Where do I get the jets? The Honda parts diagrams only list stock sizes and I don't know enough about them to order otherwise.
Any other suggestions about carb maintenance while I'm in there?

Two unrelated questions:
Has anyone used Dirtskins in place of fork gaitors? Mine are rubbish and look terrible, so I was considering Dirtskins as a cheap alternative.

Also, I'm having trouble identifying footpegs people are using on their Transalps. I don't like the rubber covered stock ones but I also don't want to spend $165 for fancy Pivot Pegs. What other models use similar pegs?

Thanks!
Jeremy B
__________________
Craig
RD07a
Sacramento, CA

Don't Feed the Bearcat!

wrryder screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 12:20 PM
wrryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #14280
Rob 110
Adventurer
 
Rob 110's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: UK, OK?
Oddometer: 40
Team Shed Racing presents.............










Budget racer!!!!








fairing is 2mm HDPE about 5 for 1000x500mm sheet, I only used 2.
cut with jigsaw or tinsnips and bent with a heatgun











testing tomorrow with my mate on his TE250 :/
__________________
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...b110/all-1.png
Dirty R30 CCM
Filty 404 CCM
Rob 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014