User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #14341
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,394
Yes you can!

I did it. Be prepared to remove the carbs...so it might be a good idea to do the valve adjustment, change the carb boots, check the enrichener cable ("choke")...if you can get the cooling pipe "O" rings...etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinthillsflyer View Post
I haven't seen a definitive answer yet to a problem I have. Can the rear valve cover gasket be changed without dropping the motor out, or can the small brace above it that spans the upper frame members be removed This is on a '89 Transalp. i appreciate any help and or advice in advance!!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #14342
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
...also, if you do take off the air intake rubber boots off of the carb, take notice of the orientation as the angle is critical. You will have a notch that is designed to sit on the carb and that sets the proper angle.

Another thing I found that helped reset the air intake body on the carbs was a weighted rubber hammer. Properly used, you can tap the air intake assembly back into the new boots as it will be a tad stiff to try by hand. Putting a little WD40 on the intake also aids in overcoming the friction.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #14343
Flinthillsflyer
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks for being patient with me, yes I am a noob to this thread, but I bought a KTM 950 Adventure 2 years ago, and the TA has not had much love in the last 2 years! Rode that TA all over Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, etc. and it is the best all around middle weight class bike Honda ever made. Am getting it ready to sell (hard to make this descision) soon, so I need to addresss a couple of minor issues. This bike has been kept garaged and expertly maintained for the last few years, and it still looks new!! Being a machinest, I have made many parts to add or replace some parts on the TA, and it has been my baby for a long time. Thanks again for not dumping on me for being lazy!!
Flinthillsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #14344
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
There are some Ohio guys that'd be interested when you sell. Post here or send me a message.

Don't worry, my TA has been demoted to lite duty since I bought my 950

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #14345
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Thanks again for not dumping on me for being lazy!!
And why would you think we'd be nice you now? You mean to tell us that we've had a good machinist around all this time that likes the TA enough to build cool parts for it....

.....and you were HIDING from us?

Dick Move, dude.............Dick.......Move

Ok, now that the rant is over, Welcome to the Thread, even though you're leaving soon.

Why not post up a few photos of your for-sale TA? One of the inmates here may be interested and you'll save all that nasty Flea Market and CL business.

The big orange bikes are very nice but from what I've seen you kinda have to be a machinist to keep them reliable.

Oh, and apologies in advance for that first bit. Didn't really mean it but couldn't pass up the chance.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #14346
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

The big orange bikes are very nice but from what I've seen you kinda have to be a machinist to keep them reliable.
Myth, probably perpetuated by Beemer riders :)

77,000 hard miles, no mechanicals but fuel pump point replacements and water pump rebuild at 44k as preventative maintenance before a 12k mile trip.

Transalp, 65,000, so far only the headlight glass and petcock rebuild.

Both awesome bikes I can't part with.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #14347
Flinthillsflyer
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ladder106- I told you I was lazy. I work a Flatland Racing, where we specialize in aluminum skidplates, pipe guards, disc brake guards, radiator guardes, etc. (flatlandracing.com) and yet I still haven't gotten around to making a decent skidplate for the TA!!! mgorman-I am with you 100%) I have done the water pump, fuel pump, sidestand relocator, etc., etc., and it burns up rear tires so fast (could be my asphalt flat tracking around corners in town and making long squiggly lines in the pavement) that I ought to own a shares in Dunlop!! Goes like a scared rabbit off road-love this bike. But still alot to be said for the TA.
Flinthillsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #14348
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I work a Flatland Racing, where we specialize in aluminum skidplates, pipe guards, disc brake guards, radiator guardes, etc

Yer killin' me. Thats OK....keep diggin that hole.

I'm certain that a few of the other regulars will be around soon to welcome you to the thread (and put a boot up your backside)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #14349
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I work a Flatland Racing, where we specialize in aluminum skidplates, pipe guards, disc brake guards, radiator guardes, etc

I'm certain that a few of the other regulars will be around soon to welcome you to the thread (and put a boot up your backside)

Yes I looked at the Flatland site....nice stuff but there's nothing for the TA.....strange
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #14350
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Double post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

Yes I looked at the Flatland site....nice stuff but there's nothing for the TA.....strange
Ray, is a LITTLE fired up! give the guy a break. He is im sure working on developing a nice skid plate and full aluminum swing arm as we speak! If not then he better get busy or else!

Oh and Flinthillsflyer welcome to the Transalp world!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #14351
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Guide me oh wise ones

Ok I looked and searched both the PDF and this thread. Im trying to eliminate any future "on the trail" problems with my TA.

1. I was thinking I should get rid of the side stand switch. Its low location could get damaged or just fail. So any write ups or tips on deleting the side stand switch?

2. Same goes for the neutral switch down behind the front sprocket. Can it be removed?

3. What about a second fan on the left side radiator? Anyone done one? I was thinking leaving the right side stock on the thermostat and adding a second on the other side on a manual switch.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #14352
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
I have a question, anything wrong with mounting CRF radiators on a TA frame, going to start moving my 650 hawk motor over to the TA frame, use the bike a a back road burner.
When i start the project, I'll take photos. Thought about going with Black and Plum Crazy Purple for the paint, i am open to other paint schemes maybe a Halo Urban Scout Bike
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #14353
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
1. I was thinking I should get rid of the side stand switch. Its low location could get damaged or just fail. So any write ups or tips on deleting the side stand switch?
This is a very good idea. It's quite easy. Follow the two wires from the switch up the frame under the seat. When you come to the firs place the wires plug into the rest of the wiring harness, UNPLUG the switch.

Then connect the two wires from the harness together. On some bikes the two wires are male and female and you just connect them together and your done. It's been a long, long time but I think on the TA you have to solder them together. Do a good job and use heat shrink. Make sure the joint isn't stressed because if the wires come apart you'll be dead in the water.....unless your in Neutral. The SS switch will allow the bike to start and run in N but will stop the ignition of the circuit is open and the bike is put into gear.

Quote:
2. Same goes for the neutral switch down behind the front sprocket. Can it be removed?
Neutral switch controls the little green light but I believe it also controls starting. Meaning that the clutch (yes, there's s small switch there too) has to be pulled in to start the bike in gear. The only way the bike will start with the clutch lever out is if it's in neutral. Disconnecting the N switch will likely eliminate this function making you rely on the clutch switch (which I also disable) to start the bike.

I'd leave the N switch alone. The rarely fail and are really well protected from debris.

Quote:
3. What about a second fan on the left side radiator? Anyone done one? I was thinking leaving the right side stock on the thermostat and adding a second on the other side on a manual switch.
This might be a good idea if you were doing slow trails in Death Valley in July. For our climate, I've never had a problem with the bike overheating with just the 1 fan. The only time it comes on is long slow off-road climbs in the middle of summer.

I guess it depends where and how you plan to ride.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #14354
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks Ray! Stand by fellas the upgrades are almost complete. Pics to follow.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #14355
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
anything wrong with mounting CRF radiators on a TA frame

Dunno what you mean by "wrong". If you're asking if they will just bolt up, I don't think anyone really knows. You get to find out.

As far as function goes, a radiator is a radiator. The engine doesn't care so long at the cooling capacity is the same or greater than the stock rads, you should be OK