ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #14596
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
I agree. Here in the tropics it gets worse when humidity levels rise. I will install a switch to turn it on first. Once The traffic start moving, temp drop fast. I'm also considering a second fan.

But, reducing the cooling area, it will come back to you sooner or later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Transalps are prone to run pretty hot under certain conditions, reducing the radiators is asking for trouble. Ever sit in slow traffic on a summer day with one? I would make sure your cooling fan and associated sensors are working right before summer gets here.

The cylinder fines are for looks only, if they help at all it is minor and surely not adequate to aid in much cooling.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #14597
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender View Post
So I've been going over my new 89 TransAlp and stumbled upon an oil line bolt that looks like it's one turn away from snapping off inside the head. This is precisely why everyone should always use a torque wrench when working on engines!

Anyway, it's a 7x26.5 banjo-type bolt for the oil line to the front cylinder head, part # 90085-MF5-000. It's discontinued. A few places have it "in stock" but really they don't, and will refund you when you order it.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to find a new one?

Thanks
Where are you located?

The part looking isnt for a US bike... I was checking here
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...89&fveh=132556

this is from an euro site:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl600v-tr...t_90085mm9000/

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #14598
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider View Post
Where are you located?

The part looking isnt for a US bike... I was checking here
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...89&fveh=132556

this is from an euro site:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl600v-tr...t_90085mm9000/
Thanks for looking, but I found a dealer in Cincinnati that had 3 bolts in stock, so I had them ship all 3. Just buttoned up the TransAlp earlier today with the new bolt and new crushrings; no oil leaks.

My UPS driver should be dropping off a new HyperPro rear shock and Ricor Intiminators along with some other bits and pieces for my other bikes tomorrow, so it should be another productive day in the garage.
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #14599
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by db-89 View Post
my freshly vinyl'd 400 alp
]
Db, where did you get the vinyl from?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #14600
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Well you are right about the ambient temperatures and I doubt
you have much of a problem being in Canada. Movement is the real key to keeping them cooled off and the fairings and radiator guards sure don't help with letting air pass over the radiators.

I hooked up a over ride switch so I can turn on the fan before the temp needle climbs to the red zone. Off road these bikes heat up really fast, anybody who was had them off road probably noticed this.

Here in NC with our 90+ summer days just sitting at a big intersection with long wait times for the light to change is enough for the gauge needle to climb fast.

If Honda thought they could get away with a smaller cooling system they would have. I think most of us would like to have a fan on the left radiator as well.

Part of the cooling challenge is that the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front just because it sits behind the front cylinder.

agreed. that is the reason i added a fan on the L side of the Africa Twin with manual switch. works great at stop lights
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #14601
Motoswami
Motoswami

Oddometer: 68
shout out to Clockwatcher

At last fall's Transalp rally in Stecoah, NC, I saw a nice pair of saddlebag racks on Clockwatcher's TA. Big and study enough to serve as a lifting handle if a person were ever to need to, um, pick up his dropped bike. Turns out he had made them himself, and -- good news -- he was willing to accept a custom order for a pair for me. I wanted a set of racks which could be easily converted to carry either a Givi bag or a Pelican bag. No problemo, I was assured.

He was also sporting a nice-looking a simple muffler which he told me was a moderately modified DRZ400S unit. Sounded nice -- slightly more throaty than a stock TA, but nowhere near an obnoxious politically incorrect thing which would make the neighbors regret you had moved into the neighborhood. Bring him another stock one, and he would make it ready to bolt-on, same time I added the racks. CLockwatcher added that if I hadn't already done the size #40 pilot jet, to do myself a favor.

Would ya believe a local neighbor rode by to show off his new KTM a week or so later, and when I asked him about the DRZ he used to ride, he said he still had it but had put a pipe and a jet kit on it. Providence was working in my favor. He would be delighted to sell me his stock muffler at a very reasonable price.

Long story short, I've now done all the above mods, and adjusted the valves and replaced the rear valve cover gasket while I had the carbs off.

Yesterday I put the lady on the back, and ran a 100-mile loop in the SC/NC/GA corner of the world. The small Givi 21l bags fits nicely and didn't appear to be near as broad-assed as my V-Strom with 37/45l bags appears. The DRZ pipe purred nicely, but my lady didn't notice any change in sound until I quizzed her; then agreed it was just fine. But, the very bestest part of the whole ride was finding some back-and-forth switchback gravel uphill turns (thank you Ms GPS for following "shortest route"). As I negotiated each hairpin, rolling on just enough throttle to maintain stability with a perfect response from the carburetors, I couldn't believe the difference. Whereas before I would have been tempted to shift down to a lower gear to avoid the cough and stumble of a lean engine, now the bike is calm as a cucumber and just crawls up the road like it had an electric motor.

Like Clockwatcher said to me, "Do yourself a huge favor." #40 pilot jets

Pete
Motoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #14602
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Hi Pete, Hey I couldn't make the TA Rally and was wondering if you could give us a few details on how it went and maybe a few pics.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #14603
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
getting close...

Getting close for a test drive on my German import '96 XL600v with 19,600 kms. The only time I have ever driven this bike was the test drive for 2 blocks when I bought it back in November near Karlsruhe.
This is the last year the Transalp was made in Japan before production started in Italy. In '96 Honda introduced new 34 mm carburetors and a new single CDI igintion system.

Mods and maintenance up to date include new Five Stars luggage side racks and GIVI Trekker 33 liter cases, Daytona heated grips, Gammatronix Ltd battery charge monitor from the UK, MRA windscreen, new Mitas E-07 tires, new battery, valve adjustment (not req'd in spec), output shaft splines inspected, new spark plugs, drained and replenished coolant, front forks and brake fluid. That's about it really...I want to further compliment it with a waterproof Giant Loop Diablo tank bag. That will come later.

A qwik pic of her naked. I pretty much just have to put the wheels on and plastics....pending on when the garage is warm. Watch for more to come...

Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #14604
Transalpbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by db-89 View Post
my freshly vinyl'd 400 alp

wow !!!! thats great!!! respekt!!!
Transalpbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #14605
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Interesting saddle you have there and your tank is not secured.

Is that an adjustable sidestand?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #14606
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Interesting saddle you have there and your tank is not secured.

Is that an adjustable sidestand?
Like everything else my new saddle is made in China. And you thought the KLR guys were cheap.

Yes, an adjustable sidestand. This bike is currently lowered for the vertically challanged (my family...hopefully but no rush) with a custom dished saddle and custom lowered suspension link. However ....I have the pieces in place so that I can ride it with an OEM saddle I have and an OEM suspension link including sidestand I picked up on ebay.de.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #14607
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,929
If you ever get inside the carbs I would like to know the jettings and codes on the needles. Photos of the carbs would also be nice, I am curious what type intake design they used in 96.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #14608
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
Well, that was a nice little hiatus after getting banned for a week, here I thought this whole thing was simply about having fun on motorcycles. Boy was I wrong. Apparently people are seeeeeeeerious. But, that is OK and I am a very forgiving person. Hopefully you all can forgive me. I still am not sure how to pick who to give a particular part to when multiple people more or less simultaneously say they want it, apparently the only logical solution I could come up with is a big time no-no. Oooops, and maybe I shouldn't be such a smart-ass. But, it is handled now so no big deal.

I have been able to get a little work done though:

photo P1000896_zps7c65b072.jpg

photo P1000900_zpsb27b3546.jpg

But unfortunately, it is sometimes two steps forward and one step back, and it doesn't help when the bike falls off the block and smashes the tank either.

Gotta get the plug just right or the mold won’t be right though.

photo P1000898_zps96afcec7.jpg
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 09:14 PM
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #14609
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
If you ever get inside the carbs I would like to know the jettings and codes on the needles. Photos of the carbs would also be nice, I am curious what type intake design they used in 96.
As Jim has pointed out my gas tank is not secure ...therefore I whizzed it off and took a few pics. I probably won't get deep into the carbs anytime soon but here's a few exterior shots.

The '96 intake...not sure how it differs to earlier models.

R/H view. Honda also incorporated a throttle position sensor.

L/H view.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #14610
db-89
hole digger

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Db, where did you get the vinyl from?
car wrap direct in ireland,i got blue sheets and white sheets then got the decal kit from ebay with the gold and red stripes,cost less than 100 euro to do
db-89 is offline   Reply With Quote